Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Vatnik Wumao
So im thinking about checking this, after few years post release what can you tell me about this, is it worth a try?

It's not worth the current price. I found myself spacing out from sheer boredom.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
There is a wonderful The Endless Gate/Inifere sequence which features one of the darkest MRY's writings to date (including Strangeland).

ftev4oiqu4jy.png

12-jpg.79943

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
So im thinking about checking this, after few years post release what can you tell me about this, is it worth a try?

Wait for a sale. There's a good game hidden here, but you can really see how unfinished it is. Still, there are cool vignettes in this game, especially in the first third and the companions are enjoyable (except the grumpy guy at the start ... I forgot his name). I think it could've been helped if they simplified the premise of the game, but the aesthetics and ideas are strong.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Ok im going to try it, i bought it for like 38 zł(9-10 dollars i think). I hope that atmosphere will be atleast interesting. Also wasnt there some companion that was annouced pre release and then he was cut or something?

Hellion

Arcane
The Codex-designed encounter features the best writing in the game.

"It is impossible to determine whether the Incline is real, or if you imagine it".

Zariusz

Arbiter
Ok after few days i finished this, i have few thoughts about it but if you arent interested here, have some random video

Well lets start with the thing that i don't like most about this game, lore. Why is that? Because in my opinion its almost all false, its not here to support the world building or make it more interesting, its there because they thought that if they stuff the game with tons of useless weird looking items with long descriptions it will make you think that Ninth World has an actuall history and is rich with mysteries. But it doesnt work, there is no connectivity, the only lore that connects is centered around locations (mostly Sagus Cliffs), Changing God and Castoffs so basically this whole setting of world after thousands of civilisations and billions of years of history is just a worthless excuse to have technology in this world, all of this could be some typical fantasy world with typical ruins of advanced magical civilisation and nothing would be changed, well maybe it would be without that pseudo scientific gibberish (probably some would think about this as incline).

Anyway lets go to another problem, equipment, its just too simple and boring. Its so simple that in fact there is no option to sort your items in backpack:lol:, you can only equip armour on your character, companions have their own outfits that cannot be changed and can only be upgraded by some woman in that Castoff sanctuary or whatever was it called. I kinda understand that dilemma, full customisation vs having unique look for your companions but to be honest im a follower of having full customisation and then getting upgraded personal armour for companions after finishing their quest lines so Torment customisation solution is still shit for my tastes. Cyphers are for me a waste of time, i always was one of these people who saved potions and other one-use items for later and with Cyphers it was no different. To be honest when i saw Cyphers limited slots first i expected that this was a way for us to make character builds, by combining powerfull artifacts with many effects, buffs, abilities etc. you know, cool combatfag (and not only) stuff and by expanding Cypher slots we would be able to make even more cool stuff. But no, Cyphers slots are glorified belt slots with bombs, potions and other random shit that you would buy and found in a typical RPG.

Combat was... well it just exist. I used only basic attacks and few abilities and Cyphers were mostly unused by me. Worst part of combat for me was the fact that Torment doesnt really have true bosses, the only one that i can think about is that construct in Bloom and it was optional, well if i think about it most of damage dealing Cyphers had area of effect and most of encounters were groups of enemies. Talking to enemy during fights was a cool feature though. Overall combat in this game is disappointing.

About mechanics, the so called crysis could be something interesting but it really is wasted, the only time that i liked it was during that helmet analysis/core robbing/tour sequence in space station (actually one of my favourite places in whole game for some reason, besides that time looking machine in Sagus Cliffs). But i dont think this pseudo fight mode was needed to create such sequence. Three stats system... actually i dont know what to think about it really.

Companions. I expected Tybir to be a cool veteran with many stories but at the end he was some faggot, Rhin i don't know because i dumped her to that time travelling machine (though i kinda felt bad for that), Matkina... well wasnt bad but i expected something more interesting, Callistege for someone that should know much more about the world she didnt really told me anything interresting (besides that she know many people that we meet) and her battle quotes about realities were annoying, Aligern, tattoos were my family all along, really that was disappointing, Erritis was ok, idea of enchancing nanomachines creating heroic battles for entertaining of the masses was interesting, Oom, i didnt talked that pile of goo really. Probably im going to forget most of them really.

About overall experience, sometimes i felt like i was playing some sci fi point and click adventure game (though i like point and click games) with weird visuals. Sagus cliffs were really best part of this game then it was a slowly decline, Bloom felt like it was a midgame and then after that it ends somewhat quickly. Like is said i bought it somewhat cheap so i dont feel it really but considering that launch price was much higher, content was the same if not smaller and many things were supposed to be cut out i feel bad for people that invested in this game, i looked at kickastarter page, where those 4 million dollars went (Pillars got less but it still had decent length), where places like this went:
ahfVi6k.jpg

latest

Where those stretch goals went:
4cf23366055356d2148a119a60338799_original.jpg

And the most important thing, WHY MY CHARACTER LOOKS LIKE A DYKE FEMINIST???
Portrait-LCO_Male.png
Portrait-LCO_Female_2.png

I would lie if i told you that i didnt have SOME fun during playing this but really this is not a good game, i probably could spend this time better and money too could be spend on something more valuable or at least fun. But i feel something that maybe i could call catharsis, with this i can tell you that i finished Torment Tides of Numenera and Pillars of Eternity, two famously kickstartered games of 2010s who were annouced as revival of classic rpgs but ended as a mess.

Last edited:

Ocelot570

Educated
ya numenera wasn't great... I got it in a humble bundle with other random games for like $15 so I didn't feel bad, but it was just a ton of broken promises and didn't live up to all that much. I beat it twice and there were some interesting differences, but I just wish it had more locations. Just 4 locations overall and 2 were of a moderate size. there can be fun but it is a punishing game to get through.

Erebus

Arcane
I finally figured out what it would take to make me go back to playing Tides of Numenera : paying 50 shekels three days ago for a brand new CRPG that somehow managed to disappoint me even faster.

Oh well. At least, I've now finished this game.

As all Codexers know by now, it's not very good. The game apes PST in quite a few ways, which was obviously a poor idea (by definition, you can't imitate creativity and originality). It has a few ambitious ideas here and there, but fails to implement them well.

One of its main problems is its source material (I suspect the same could be said of my recent buy...). Numenéra is an overly broad setting, in which pretty much everything is possible : giant robots, utterly alien beings, time travel, alternate dimensions, WMDs, etc. A smart DM, in such a setting, would keep major weirdness rare, in order to make it feel special. But the game does the exact opposite : the weirdness is all over the place and frequently carried to extremes. Sigil was weird, but plenty of its citizens lived mostly normal lives ; the city was stable and had a coherent atmosphere. By comparison, the contents of the city at the beginning of ToN (I don't even remember its name) are extraordinary most of the time and have very little coherence ; I could never trick myself into believing that it was a real place.

In general, too much time and too many words were spent on non-essential weird things, that are complicated for the sake of being complicated, don't contribute anything good to the atmosphere and don't provide the player with any sort of entertainment.

And on the other hand, the Tides - one of the story's most important elements - remain thoroughly underdeveloped and uninteresting until the very end.

Having action scenes that are not necessarily about combat feels like an interesting idea. But in practice, the game always has to hold your hand during those scenes, telling you what to do so precisely that actually fighting it out would probably be the more intellectual option.

The ending is about as meh as the rest. Many things should have been developed better in order to give it more impact. But that would have required spending less time on unnecessary bullshit, clearly something that never entered the minds of the creators of this game.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Numerera companions:

torment-companions-630x420.jpg

Man, they should've added an extra stretch goal during the campaign. For $200 extra, we'll take a trip down to the local community art college and get literally anyone to draw better portraits than the ones we ended up using after 4 years dev time.
qvVZJbL.png
Kyn71le.png
eKsOAYd.png

lrRPRDy.png
PZXfEiU.png
yLIfJO2.png

Hello Codexers,

When we first came to you asking for your help in making a new Torment portraits, we were genuinely overwhelmed and moved by the sheer outpouring of support. These pictures are a feature that would never have happened without you, and you blew us away beyond our wildest expectations.

Now the wait is over, and Torment: Tides of Numenera Wild Edition Avatars are ready for you to use, enjoy and experience. This is a true forum experience with over 1.2 million thousand words pixels of graphics, multiple avatars to choose from, with the most involved trolling we have ever made – we tend to be overly ambitious on these things, and it is a much longer campaign than we initially set out to create.

The entire team at Kev's moms basement has worked countless hours to bring you the new wonders to gaze upon, we are immensely proud of what we made. Of course, we made these pictures first and foremost for you, our backers, and we truly hope you enjoy it.

Thank you,
Kev Inkline
Your Servant at Site Feedback

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Ok after few days i finished this, i have few thoughts about it but if you arent interested here, have some random video

Well lets start with the thing that i don't like most about this game, lore. Why is that? Because in my opinion its almost all false, its not here to support the world building or make it more interesting, its there because they thought that if they stuff the game with tons of useless weird looking items with long descriptions it will make you think that Ninth World has an actuall history and is rich with mysteries. But it doesnt work, there is no connectivity, the only lore that connects is centered around locations (mostly Sagus Cliffs), Changing God and Castoffs so basically this whole setting of world after thousands of civilisations and billions of years of history is just a worthless excuse to have technology in this world, all of this could be some typical fantasy world with typical ruins of advanced magical civilisation and nothing would be changed, well maybe it would be without that pseudo scientific gibberish (probably some would think about this as incline).

Anyway lets go to another problem, equipment, its just too simple and boring. Its so simple that in fact there is no option to sort your items in backpack:lol:, you can only equip armour on your character, companions have their own outfits that cannot be changed and can only be upgraded by some woman in that Castoff sanctuary or whatever was it called. I kinda understand that dilemma, full customisation vs having unique look for your companions but to be honest im a follower of having full customisation and then getting upgraded personal armour for companions after finishing their quest lines so Torment customisation solution is still shit for my tastes. Cyphers are for me a waste of time, i always was one of these people who saved potions and other one-use items for later and with Cyphers it was no different. To be honest when i saw Cyphers limited slots first i expected that this was a way for us to make character builds, by combining powerfull artifacts with many effects, buffs, abilities etc. you know, cool combatfag (and not only) stuff and by expanding Cypher slots we would be able to make even more cool stuff. But no, Cyphers slots are glorified belt slots with bombs, potions and other random shit that you would buy and found in a typical RPG.

Combat was... well it just exist. I used only basic attacks and few abilities and Cyphers were mostly unused by me. Worst part of combat for me was the fact that Torment doesnt really have true bosses, the only one that i can think about is that construct in Bloom and it was optional, well if i think about it most of damage dealing Cyphers had area of effect and most of encounters were groups of enemies. Talking to enemy during fights was a cool feature though. Overall combat in this game is disappointing.

About mechanics, the so called crysis could be something interesting but it really is wasted, the only time that i liked it was during that helmet analysis/core robbing/tour sequence in space station (actually one of my favourite places in whole game for some reason, besides that time looking machine in Sagus Cliffs). But i dont think this pseudo fight mode was needed to create such sequence. Three stats system... actually i dont know what to think about it really.

Companions. I expected Tybir to be a cool veteran with many stories but at the end he was some faggot, Rhin i don't know because i dumped her to that time travelling machine (though i kinda felt bad for that), Matkina... well wasnt bad but i expected something more interesting, Callistege for someone that should know much more about the world she didnt really told me anything interresting (besides that she know many people that we meet) and her battle quotes about realities were annoying, Aligern, tattoos were my family all along, really that was disappointing, Erritis was ok, idea of enchancing nanomachines creating heroic battles for entertaining of the masses was interesting, Oom, i didnt talked that pile of goo really. Probably im going to forget most of them really.

About overall experience, sometimes i felt like i was playing some sci fi point and click adventure game (though i like point and click games) with weird visuals. Sagus cliffs were really best part of this game then it was a slowly decline, Bloom felt like it was a midgame and then after that it ends somewhat quickly. Like is said i bought it somewhat cheap so i dont feel it really but considering that launch price was much higher, content was the same if not smaller and many things were supposed to be cut out i feel bad for people that invested in this game, i looked at kickastarter page, where those 4 million dollars went (Pillars got less but it still had decent length), where places like this went:
ahfVi6k.jpg

latest

Where those stretch goals went:
4cf23366055356d2148a119a60338799_original.jpg

And the most important thing, WHY MY CHARACTER LOOKS LIKE A DYKE FEMINIST???
Portrait-LCO_Male.png
Portrait-LCO_Female_2.png

I would lie if i told you that i didnt have SOME fun during playing this but really this is not a good game, i probably could spend this time better and money too could be spend on something more valuable or at least fun. But i feel something that maybe i could call catharsis, with this i can tell you that i finished Torment Tides of Numenera and Pillars of Eternity, two famously kickstartered games of 2010s who were annouced as revival of classic rpgs but ended as a mess.

That's an interesting point actually. "Major city" in the stretch goals and here people are saying the game only has 4 locations? I didn't follow Numenera after release, but what the fuck happened there? Did they just completely abandon the Kickstarter goals?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
The entire team at Kev's moms basement has worked countless hours to bring you the new wonders to gaze upon, we are immensely proud of what we made. Of course, we made these pictures first and foremost for you, our backers, and we truly hope you enjoy it.
I hope the world hears your tale of courage, patience, wait and longing. Maybe even moves the hard core hearts of Inxile/Larian to make Tides on Numenera 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom