Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Why the fuck is the Official RPGCodex Curator on Steam recommending this?

u4wNCR0.png

Given that someone is fumbling for words in a backwards attempt to somehow give this a seal of approval, I can only assume that Inshillitron is behind this. What kind of fucking rationale is this, even? Worth playing just because The Bloom looks pretty? "Wonky" implementation of turn-based combat? The combat is a fucking travesty and The Bloom isn't even 25% of the game, and even though it looks cool, it's still shit, from how you get there, to how you leave. With that rationale, I can export the maps to a .png format, put them in this thread, and I've suddenly saved everyone reading it 45-90€ and 20-30 hours of their lives.

Edit: It also apparently recommends Tyranny, of all things, and with all the narrative issues in the game, it criticizes the "dodgy combat". What the actual fuck? :lol:

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Because, as much as some would like to make it look like, RPG Codex is in fact part of the decline. Look how excited are decline enablers here for Shit Effect: Andromeda, more than 100 pages of thread for this fuckery. I have no words.

Deleted member 7219

Because, as much as some would like to make it look like, RPG Codex is in fact part of the decline. Look how excited are decline enablers here for Shit Effect: Andromeda, more than 100 pages of thread for this fuckery. I have no words.

Have you even read that thread?

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I did. You all laugh at this game, yet you talk about it, and that's enough for marketing purposes, and in the end you fucks will even play it. You know that's true.

Why the hell do you even care about this shitfest that BioWare is perpetrating?

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism

u4wNCR0.png

Given that someone is fumbling for words in a backwards attempt to somehow give this a seal of approval, I can only assume that Inshillitron is behind this. What kind of fucking rationale is this, even? Worth playing just because The Bloom looks pretty? "Wonky" implementation of turn-based combat? The combat is a fucking travesty and The Bloom isn't even 25% of the game, and even though it looks cool, it's still shit, from how you get there, to how you leave. With that rationale, I can export the maps to a .png format, put them in this thread, and I've suddenly saved everyone reading it 45-90€ and 20-30 hours of their lives.

Edit: It also apparently recommends Tyranny, of all things, and with all the narrative issues in the game, it criticizes the "dodgy combat". What the actual fuck? :lol:

Don't take the curator seriously, this isn't really important.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The thumb is pointing in the wrong direction in this review.
It gets even funnier when the curator has recommended 106 games, and none of them have been negative. It's all positives. It hasn't even commented on things like Oblivion, because that would involve saying something negative, I guess. Fucking weak.

u4wNCR0.png

Don't take the curator seriously, this isn't really important.
Pay no mind to the man behind the curtain!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, when Steam curation first started recommending was the only thing it allowed, and we're too lazy to expand the curator's scope now.

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
(and that there was this other companion, some ridiculous skull he ultimately decided to cut, because the team felt the comments he made towards female zombies were inappropriate, and everyone in stream chat agrees and they all brofist eachother, happy at the development team's foresight and sound reasoning)

giphy.gif

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Look at them recommending Tworment.

But when I recommended Gothic 4 it was immediately pulled down and I was deprived of my curator rights.

Double standards much?

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Gothic 4 was a mediocre 3rd person slasher I have no regrets paying for. There's no need to be upset for recommending it. If not its title, it would have a considerably higher score.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
[...]

Whilst I agree PST favours WIS/INT/CHA, I strongly disagree on the paladin part. It's more difficult to be evil, due to the afore-mentioned companion attachment yadda yadda yadda, but the game provides plenty of strong arguments why lawfullness + good can end up doing more harm than good: Morte recalling one such incarnation wanting to put him back on the Pillar because that's where he belongs, Vhailor's extremism, Dak'kon being easily fooled into practically becoming TNO's slave, despite all the gitzherai history of overcoming slavery, and I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few. It's also more difficult to be super LG or hardcore evil due to it running contrary to the game's strong theme of redeeming past wrongs, breaking the cycle of suffering, not making the same practical, but bad-for-the-soul mistakes etc. and MCA's running argument (present in other games) that paladin-type behaviour can lead to short-sightedness, and (unintended) crueler evils down the road, sort of like the crystal-dragon example you mentioned.

[...]

Obligatory:

This scene - for it is practically one scene - is stronger and more meaningful than all of Tides of Numenera put together. Hell, these 3 minutes encapsulates more of the key narrative component of Tides of Numenera - What does one life matter? - than the entirety of Tides of Numenera's ~15-25 hours do. And it didn't even try to make that point.

Harold

Arcane
I don't get this "emotional manipulation" thing, i gave Rhin back to the slaver once i saw her.

same

"waaaaaaaah i'm a poor innocent magical kid character from a stephen king novel please please pretty please protect me and take me with you uguu~"

aw hell no

As I stressed, it works with it's intended audience, which is sadly fairly big. The fact this sort of thing is infuriating to your average codexer should come as no surprise

Bros, I just wanted to point out that Carceri can be mighty rewarding on an evil playthrough. While you could do all the goodie stuff out of pure self-interest, it's not like you have to. Let the gehreleths feast on those weakling saps! Go full Brady and encourage the mob to lynch the official. Kill those anarchists and take their stuff, and best of all, spectate the execution sequence! If you have Ignus in your party, he will even shout his good old "Buuuurn!" as the crowd cries for blood. A lovely little detail that, one most players probably never notice. You do get shafted XP wise, true, but at least you get to have some fun, fight a stronger Trias and walk away with that fuzzy feeling of not having helped a single schmuck.

Then why not give the same amount of xp for inciting the mobs/doing nasty shit that you get if you're all heroic? And why does Curst still get back up from Carceri, even if you encourage the chaos, and only kill Trias?

It is a mystery...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Meanwhile in another corner of the internet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Torment/comments/5yhp0s/aligern_custom_portrait_the_other_companions/

ColinMcComb

This is some nice quality! One note, though: I'd love to see this Aligern made a little less Caucasian - something we constantly had to tell our artists is that, per the Numenera core tenets, in the Ninth World, everyone is mixed race. In the intervening years between now and then, humanity's gene pool has melded together.

This is a great direction. Looking forward to the iterations!

Healthy priorities a key to successful development!

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Upon leaving Obsidian, Chris noted something along the lines of leaving to pursue own goals, or additional projects of his own choosing, or something to that intent.

Read: "I want to work in projects where I can implement muh stuff".

Psychologically, that means "I was fired for doing my own projects". Chris was helping other people out with lots of miscellaneous stuff. Meanwhile, he was working at Obsidian, where he notably DIDN'T finish his PoE novel in time, and DIDN'T finish his Arcanum LP properly (which is very sad, since it is BEST LP EVAR).

Read: "I don't like to work with this people anymore. They are using my name to do idiotic side projects, but I can't take the lead in anything here".

I will bet you almost anything that MCA's departure from Obsidian was due to him taking on other work. I can't imagine Feargus was too happy about that. Sawyer would likely also not be pleased, and while he might have had some slight differences with regard to design emphasis with MCA, I don't think any arguments about design choices are behind MCA leaving but rather him choosing to work on other stuff while not finishing his Obsidian duties in time.

He announced his departure on social media and caught everyone by surprise. It's obvious that some conflicts happened there.

FUCK, it's rewarding to be able to die like you could in the good old days. They may have formulated things badly, but they describe an incredibly inclined part of the game.

It would be rewarding if the rest of the game were developed like that, but it isn't.

Last edited:

FugueLah

Scholar
Hilarious review.

"This game is pretty terrible, but you should buy it anyway."

What is with the mods on this site sucking Obsidian and InXile cock all the time.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I did. You all laugh at this game, yet you talk about it, and that's enough for marketing purposes, and in the end you fucks will even play it. You know that's true.

My laptop can't probably run ME:A with its integrated graphics

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Rhin was writen by a nu-male beta faggot who made a name for himself writing Mary-Sueish wish fulfillment fantasy that similarly afflicted individuals easily gobble up. Her quest is designed by a born-again christian who moved to Thailand and literally adopted a dozen kids. To expect these 2 dudes to give you the option to do something mean to a fictional child, and have that option be just as rewarding as 'the right thing', is just plain silly.

:edgy:, but true.

hexer

Bros, I just wanted to point out that Carceri can be mighty rewarding on an evil playthrough. While you could do all the goodie stuff out of pure self-interest, it's not like you have to. Let the gehreleths feast on those weakling saps! Go full Brady and encourage the mob to lynch the official. Kill those anarchists and take their stuff, and best of all, spectate the execution sequence! If you have Ignus in your party, he will even shout his good old "Buuuurn!" as the crowd cries for blood. A lovely little detail that, one most players probably never notice. You do get shafted XP wise, true, but at least you get to have some fun, fight a stronger Trias and walk away with that fuzzy feeling of not having helped a single schmuck.

Then why not give the same amount of xp for inciting the mobs/doing nasty shit that you get if you're all heroic? And why does Curst still get back up from Carceri, even if you encourage the chaos, and only kill Trias?

It is a mystery...

Trias' power is definitively the key to why Curst ended up in Carceri.

He enacts some kind of "universal justice" on the town by pushing it into Carceri.
If you have Vhailor in party, he calls him up on that. "There is no JUSTICE in your actions, deva."
Is it an uber spell or some innate ability LG devas can do, I dunno.
That's why he becomes stronger when you do evil deeds as you only strengthened his initial decision to punish the town.

Also, by pushing the town into Carceri he's sealing his deal with the demons of Carceri in order to build an army to attack Mount Celestia.
That's why once you defeat him the town goes back, because it was Trias holding it there in the first place.
In his words "A city of betrayers have been betrayed and received what they have deserved."

Damn, PST is such a masterpiece!

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom