Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Awful simile. Blue da ba dee was never meant to be a masterpiece, it's a different genre for a different market, that would be like trying to compare an epic movie with an advertisement for pizzas. Also, Blue da ba dee succeeds entirely in appealing to the market it was designed to appeal to and is still a catchy tune whether you despise its genre or not. Suggesting TToN is as good as blue da ba dee is giving way too much praise to inexile.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
inXile new propaganda poster:

17192219_1618973411451510_9142225075638622273_o.jpg

Well, you aren't kidding about the "propaganda" part, alright, this is fairly similar to some propaganda posters that ISIS publishes to detail how many tanks it blew up somewhere.

No dobra panowie przyznać się, który to wstawił?

DETALICZNE mapy, kurwa? :rage:

Azarkon

Arcane
Not true actually, I think Sawyer said in a recent interview that Chris does amazing job at giving useful feedback and pointing out the flaws in design or story.

Edit: there you go citation needed person https://pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire/chris-avellone-obsidian

I'm sure he is.

But how much did they listen to him, that is a different question.

Also, giving criticism isn't the same as writing a story. You can say, with profound detail and analysis, how much a story sucks. Hell, the Codex does it all the time. But that doesn't equate to writing a better story.

4 years later, I finally get to fucking gloat.

rare grunker in that thread

Between this, Wasteland 2, Chaos Chronicles and P:E we have all the Codex' favourite game-styles covered:

Storyfaggy RPG, sandbox exploration with C&C, old-school turn-based dungeon-crawling and RTwP combat/story in the style of the infinity engine. I'm not sure we could ask for more. It's great that the Codex is critical (I am too, in the P:E thread especially), but push comes to shove, if we act like this isn't the most promising time in 10 years, we're just bullshitting.

Azarkon

Arcane
With respect to the Planescape: Torment writing team - the more I think about it, the more it feels like Planescape: Torment would be the height of their writing careers, which is simply sad.

The Planescape: Torment trinity was: Chris Avellone, David Maldonado, and Colin McComb. You can also add Monte Cook in there, since he helped create the Planescape setting.

Three of them were involved in TToN. Avellone only slightly, but McComb and Cook deeply so.

As for Maldonado, who I'll always remember for writing the story of the old man and his wish, these are the games he's done design work on in the last 10 years:

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade

So... Yeah.

All of the trinity have fallen. :negative:

Stokowski

Arcane
With respect to the Planescape: Torment writing team - the more I think about it, the more it feels like Planescape: Torment would be the height of their writing careers, which is simply sad.

The Planescape: Torment trinity was: Chris Avellone, David Maldonado, and Colin McComb. You can also add Monte Cook in there, since he helped create the Planescape setting.

Three of them were involved in TToN. Avellone only slightly, but McComb and Cook deeply so.

As for Maldonado, who I'll always remember for writing the story of the old man and his wish, these are the games he's done design work on in the last 10 years:

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade

So... Yeah.

All of the trinity have fallen. :negative:

Interesting point. Looking at those names I can't help but think of (of all titles!) the red-headed stepchild that was Icewind Dale II:

JE Sawyer (lead!), plus Avellone and Maldonado AND Stephen Bokkes (VtMB + PST) AND John Deiley (PST).

It was a bizarrely mishapen game, an ungainly combination of 3E rules stuffed into an ageing 2E game engine and held together by twine and chewing gum. It was also so lovingly written and packed with memorable encounters and locales and with a wonderful slow-building heroic crescendo to its structure. Even today it's a game it'd still rather replay than POE or WL2.

Malpercio

Arcane
After a fight I ended up with the loot behind one NPC and couldn't get it, I had to reload... how do you make such a simple mistake, this wasn't an issue in BG2 17 years ago. :M

At least this Valley of the Heroes and successive place are SO MUCH better than Sagus, even if the setting feels like people threw random concepts and npc at it.

hexer

Apparently, the number of owners, according to steam spy, has been decreased.

First time i see something like this...

http://steamspy.com/app/272270
Happens all the time with Steamspy. Might possibly indicate some problem with gathering of data.

I think one of the reasons why it's not selling, beside inXile pissing off core audience with simultaneus console versions is the marketing and trailers. They spell out the fucking story in the trailer, if they'd left enough to be a mystery and for players to find out, I think there'd be more positive buzz around the game.
There might be something in that.
I remember when I saw a trailer for the PS:T.

It left me curious.

Trailers for Numanuma don't leave anything for the imagination.

Mark Morgan's soundtrack is legendary but Lustmord's PST soundtrack is also oozing incredible atmosphere left and right.
Just listen to the Eliminating Angel, I get chills from listening it with headphones

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
With all the people reinstalling P:ST, I wonder, what is the most complete/best version to install? Any HD-mods, or unofficial patches that needs to be installed? (Kind of like FALLOUT FIXT and restoration project).

Also, I see alot of people recommending to use some form of image sharpener.

Prime Junta

With all the people reinstalling P:ST, I wonder, what is the most complete/best version to install? Any HD-mods, or unofficial patches that needs to be installed? (Kind of like FALLOUT FIXT and restoration project).

The Beamdog EE of course.

Seriously? Here's a guide I followed the last time I played, and it worked out very nicely.

The Unfinished Business one is purely optional; IMO it doesn't add much to the experience but it's by no means so bad it'll detract from it either.

https://af.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Apparently, the number of owners, according to steam spy, has been decreased.

First time i see something like this...

http://steamspy.com/app/272270
Happens all the time with Steamspy. Might possibly indicate some problem with gathering of data.

I think one of the reasons why it's not selling, beside inXile pissing off core audience with simultaneus console versions is the marketing and trailers. They spell out the fucking story in the trailer, if they'd left enough to be a mystery and for players to find out, I think there'd be more positive buzz around the game.
There might be something in that.
I remember when I saw a trailer for the PS:T.

It left me curious.

Trailers for Numanuma don't leave anything for the imagination.

Mark Morgan's soundtrack is legendary but Lustmord's PST soundtrack is also oozing incredible atmosphere left and right.
Just listen to the Eliminating Angel, I get chills from listening it with headphones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lustmord
Around 1999, Lustmord was also involved with the video game Planescape: Torment—his work eventually went unused when the project changed direction
Cool. I didn't know about that.
Where those unused tracks could be found?

hexer

I installed fixpack, unfinished business and tweaks (only party banter speedup). And high-res GUI of course

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom