Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It's not InXile that's out of touch with reality, it's Techland. InXile actually made an pretty good fucking deal. Techland fronts the bill for marketing, publishing, shipping, dealing with retailers, and pays for two console ports. And what does Techland get in return? Console sales, which obviously will be shit. There's no chances in seven hell Techland breaks even on this deal.

InXile, on the other hand?

:excellent:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not InXile that's out of touch with reality, it's Techland. InXile actually made an pretty good fucking deal. Techland fronts the bill for marketing, publishing, shipping, dealing with retailers, and pays for two console ports. And what does Techland get in return? Console sales, which obviously will be shit. There's no chances in seven hell Techland breaks even on this deal.

One of the last times we spoke, Brother None sort of implied to me that Deep Silver lost out on the Wasteland 2 physical distribution deal (and that they're generally not doing well)

Parabalus

Arcane

I really doubt it's that bleak of an outlook. The people in Techland who decided on this partnership can't be totally retarded, they probably looked at W2 and D:OS numbers and thought it'd work out even in the worse case scenario.

But hey, Techland going under means the Kodex wins in the end.

So it's done in a bad way then? :decline:

No, it's actually pretty tastefully done.

Performance is an absolute dogshit, I have a pretty powerful laptop that runs most games more or less without problems, but I get 5-10 fps in the very first location that consists of untextured hexagons. Nothing more to tell, since I can't be bothered to play through this slog.

Can't even get properly disappointed.

:rpgcodex:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Somebody recently posted that Techland shows up as publisher on the game's Steam page. I don't know how that works, but I suspect they get a cut from the Steam sales too. I really doubt it's inXile fucking Techland here. I believe it's inXile's asshole that's in trouble.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Performance is an absolute dogshit, I have a pretty powerful laptop that runs most games more or less without problems, but I get 5-10 fps in the very first location that consists of untextured hexagons. Nothing more to tell, since I can't be bothered to play through this slog.

That area has some special features, so if you get past it performance might improve afterwards

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
"That thing is unstoppable, but you stopped it!"

Nobel prize for Literature right there. At least the loading times aren't as long as PoE's?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't really know the demographics.

But they are changing. SJWs make SJW games, they attack "sexism" in games, get Patreon-ed, got all them "allies", so I guess there's an audience somewhere. Even casuals that will make an exception for Torment, 'cause they hate games but they are so politically engaged in activism, against anti-gamergate machos, and this is relevant to their social studies.

I might be wrong really, but clearly this is somewhat aimed at them, because some of the writers are them or their allies.

That’s because you are making the mistake of assuming that the noise of these activists is representative of what most people think. It’s not a surprise that the gaming community is usually accused as being misogynistic place by SJW activists. Because the target audience is mostly composed by men that don’t give a fuck about safe space. The problem is that while most gamers don’t give a shit about SJW if it doesn’t affect the gameplay, this is impossible to ignore in narrative games such as ToN, because it makes a big difference.
I'm just speculating about their thought processes here. Not claiming anything about the actual gaming community, which we all know is predominantly male; but we also know that some devs and publishers have been trying to cater to new demographics.

I concede I might be wrong. I'm just saying this kind of thought process could have been used by inXile/Techland in deciding to port to consoles. Otherwise, it would really be assuming they have no fucking clue at all and don't have a valid reason / expected return on their investment to justify the port. Which might be true.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

That area has some special features, so if you get past it performance might improve afterwards

Yes, that area is notoriously bad for perfomance, the rest though seem to run more smoothly than PoE. Loading times are much better as well.

Starwars

Arcane
From what I remember of the beta, the intro is easily the worst part of it (and yeah, it is certainly still pretty bad, just replayed it now). But I thought it became a lot better once you got going a bit in Sagus Cliffs. I quit before I got too far because I didn't want to get spoiled but it was certainly pulling me in at that time at least. Hoping I'll get that feeling again.

I've whined about this a bunch of times before but I really, really hate how the game "feels" in terms of controls though. I hate how the characters move, how they stop and start, I hate how there's little animations for the dialogue windows and little blips and blops, I hate how when you click to talk to a character, your character runs up to it and stops before the dialogue window opens. It *feels* so sluggish to play and I hate that.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I'm just speculating about their thought processes here. Not claiming anything about the actual gaming community, which we all know is predominantly male; but we also know that some devs and publishers have been trying to cater to new demographics.

I concede I might be wrong. I'm just saying this kind of thought process could have been used by inXile/Techland in deciding to port to consoles. Otherwise, it would really be assuming they have no fucking clue at all and don't have a valid reason / expected return on their investment to justify the port. Which might be true.

Oh, they are catering to new demographics all right. That’s their mission in every segment of society. But I don’t think they thought that SJW sensibilities would increase their sales on consoles. I think that they think it’s their mission to talk about these themes even if it can hurt the sales due to your target audience sensibilities. It’s the opposite really. They are so convinced that these ham fisted agendas are normal and morally imperative that the thought of doing otherwise didn't occur to them.

Last edited:
After reading 43 reviews, I'm pretty sure that Torment: Tides of numa numa is going to be an Excellent game.

Almost all the reviews praise the writing, the setting, the lore, the characters, the quests and the atmosphere.

Most of the "negative" feedback was about technical issues on the consoles, out-of-date graphics (for some reviewers) and not-that-smooth crisis system.

** and i think that some of them actually lower the score because they though that comparing this game to Planescape: Torment was an heresy! **

So, for me, that sound like a great game!

Here is the average of 43 reviews: 87.

Highest score: http://www.voletic.com/reviews/torment-tides-of-numenera-review-pc/
Lowest score: http://ragequit.gr/reviews/item/torment-tides-of-numenera-pc-review-english

Deleted member 7219

I don't think inXile are in touch with reality, why would you release something like Torment for consoles? It makes no sense.

Because the publisher who is funding the rest of your development wants a multiplatform release

So it was techland's decision? Did techland also dictate the game was gonna be TB?(TB: easy to make primitive system for the slow minded, friendly with console controls).

Butthurt backers were the ones who demanded turn-based. But from I've seen so far, it looks pretty good. Real time would probably be worse.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
PoE is shit, W2 is shit, SR is shit, ToN is shit. Big kickstarter bulshit. Fuck these studios.

What games do you like?

Recent cRPGs? “Age of Decadence”, “Underrail”, “Battle Brothers”, “Serpent in the Staglands”, “NEO Scavanger”, “Dungeon Rats”, “The Banner Saga”. There are others cRPGs I intend to play, but I didn't have the time. I also played other non-cRPG games that are interesting more recently, but know I need to focus on one cRPG classic at a time.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
Techland informed fans that InXile is already fixing "deplorable shortcomings" in console ports.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom