Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kevin Saunders sounds like the Comic Book Guy from Simpsons. :lol:

222px-The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sounds like the game might not let you attack/kill anything at will. In that sense it will be a bit more constrained and adventure gamey than the original PS:T.

hiver

Might. Its not decided on completely as i figure.

also, maybe no animations for epic spells, if i heard correctly.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Might. Its not decided on completely as i figure.

also, maybe no animations for epic spells, if i heard correctly.

I thought they said they would like to do the epic spell animations but it would have to be evaluated how much it costs. Personally I don't want them at all and neither do plenty of people on Obsidian's forums when a poll came up there asking about them. Hope they decide against it.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
He was just asking for some info about how much funding a game on this scale costs with paying everyone's wages. Though now that you brought that up I don't like my wording. Give me a moment I'll edit that.

Mezebriel

Novice
Sorry for being late about quest markers... but in BG's and PS:T they were present... every NPC having a quest or being a part of quest was named instead of being "townperson". So imo removing every mean of tracking quests would be a hell to navigate in crowded places.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Sorry for being late about quest markers... but in BG's and PS:T they were present... every NPC having a quest or being a part of quest was named instead of being "townperson". So imo removing every mean of tracking quests would be a hell to navigate in crowded places.

An NPC being named is not a quest marker. Named NPCs are an essential part of a RPG setting, Drog. RPG should be not a hide and seek simulator, so named NPCs and journal entries are adequate information for the player to find the quest giver if necessary. The player is using the in-game information available to his character(s). Quest markers are not an in-game information available to the PC.

What kind of RPG setting would consist of 'NPC1', 'NPC2' and so on anyway? By autists, for autists?

Mezebriel

Novice
An NPC being named is not a quest marker.

In infinity engine games you knew npc names without talking to them (so not an in-game information) so it functioned like a quest marker. Named NPC = quest giver. And it looks like well-hidden one.

Named NPCs are an essential part of a RPG setting, Drog. RPG should be not a hide and seek simulator, so named NPCs and journal entries are adequate information for the player to find the quest giver if necessary. The player is using the in-game information available to his character(s). Quest markers are not an in-game information available to the PC.

What kind of RPG setting would consist of 'NPC1', 'NPC2' and so on anyway? By autists, for autists?

And i agree with this part, though i think i wasn't clear earlier.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
In infinity engine games you knew npc names without talking to them (so not an in-game information) so it functioned like a quest marker. Named NPC = quest giver. And it looks like well-hidden one.

Or someone involved in another quest giver's quest. I agree it's a relatively good system, I like when towns and cities are padded with random citizens to make them look more busy, populated and real.

Gozma

Arcane
Doesn't really seem like "PB sux" criticism, but like "PB is hard to design" criticism

I want PB for the selfish reason that I think I can probably field strip and rebuild any regular TB system blindfolded, and since this isn't really a combat/squad tactics game but an adventure game with combat in it I'd just like some variety rather than an attempt at meticulous depth and balance in a single player game with a retarded AI. Basically the JRPG theory of combat system design to be frank.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What he's saying is crap though since a good combat system shouldn't allow one to flawlessly predict everything that will happen during the action. For example, if two characters attack the same enemy, but the first one kills it with a critical hit, I think it's perfectly reasonable that the other character wasted his action. The same goes for if a character dies while someone else is attempting to heal him. Why does Sawyer think it's more realistic if the healer can change his mind instantaneously?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why does Sawyer think it's more realistic if the healer can change his mind instantaneously?
Because beings capable of logical thinking are like that. They change their minds according to different factors. If I wanted to heal someone, but the character dies in front of my eyes, I wouldn't waste a healing spell on a corpse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom