Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Which is completely false, because it's slow, has autoaim, has cone fire on all weapons, and has a shitty immortality mode called VATS.
I wouldn't use the word most but it's still better than a lot of dedicated first person shooters even with these things.

(Furthermore, cone fire isn't necessarily a bad thing, and VATS isn't immortality mode you Fallout 3 player you)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
NV playing better as a FPS than FPS games. :lol:

This game would be a catastrophe if it was only FPS.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
And yet Fallout New Vegas plays better than most dedicated FPS games when you have high skill proficiency in the weapon you're using.

lol wut
I think what he's saying is along the lines of,

And yet Fallout New Vegas plays better than most dedicated FPS games when you have maxed the weapon skills for the weapon you are using, and also I suck obsidians cock enough to say this.

Which is completely false, because it's slow, has autoaim, has cone fire on all weapons, and has a shitty immortality mode called VATS.
You're talking as if there was only one single possible formula for making a fun shooter and anything that deviates from it can't be fun. When I compare F:NV to what currently passes off as GOTY BEST GAME EVAR in the world of FPS these days, like Bioshock Infinite, I'd argue that it holds its own pretty well.
"shitty immortality mode called VATS" you do realize there were really *great* FPSes with gameplay mechanics that were almost that? I consider F.e.a.r as one of my favorite, most fun shooter to play, but the game did have an ability to slow time in a way that trivialized many encounters. Even if F:NV had been made as an FPS rather than a RPG it would still be a decently fun game to play. Far more than cutscene ridden Cock Infinite and its overly poor encounters with bullet-sink-everywhere and constant get behind cover crap.

Heck, F:NV doesn't have Call of Duty-like health (or in the case of Cock, shield) regen. That's already more than I can say about most of the current solo FPSes.

Cadmus

Arcane
And yet Fallout New Vegas plays better than most dedicated FPS games when you have high skill proficiency in the weapon you're using.

lol wut

And yet Fallout New Vegas plays better than most dedicated FPS games when you have maxed the weapon skills for the weapon you are using, and also I suck obsidians cock enough to say this.

You're talking as if there was only one single possible formula for making a fun shooter and anything that deviates from it can't be fun. When I compare F:NV to what currently passes off as GOTY BEST GAME EVAR in the world of FPS these days, like Bioshock Infinite, I'd argue that it holds its own pretty well.
"shitty immortality mode called VATS" you do realize there were really *great* FPSes with gameplay mechanics that were almost that? I consider F.e.a.r as one of my favorite, most fun shooter to play, but the game did have an ability to slow time in a way that trivialized many encounters. Even if F:NV had been made as an FPS rather than a RPG it would still be a decently fun game to play. Far more than cutscene ridden Cock Infinite and its overly poor encounters with bullet-sink-everywhere and constant get behind cover crap.

Heck, F:NV doesn't have Call of Duty-like health (or in the case of Cock, shield) regen. That's already more than I can say about most of the current solo FPSes.

The things that F:NV does well as an FPS (IMO) are the number of weapons => variety in combat;
- emergent combat scenarios which require you to improvise and/or try to cheese the AI due to the difficulty of some encounters, which never happens in retarded AAA FPSes anymore as far as I can tell, although maybe I haven't actually played any now that I think about it,
- some elements of the gunplay, like the weapon degradation, ammo types
- well done explosives
- variety of battle areas, ranging from a desert to a city, full of things to shoot

so I can see why someone would think it's a good FPS, but it's fucking not because of the goddamn abortion engine they used for the game, the guns are clunky, the enemies are insane, movement is a floaty shitty glide-fest, etc.

roll-a-die

Magister

lol wut

In FEAR you still took full damage in slow motion, at least if I remember correctly. In VATS with FO:NV, by DEFAULT, disregarding a developer who shall not be named's mod, you take 1/6th damage. And in general that is more than the 1/8th damage you took in FO3 which frequently resulted in rounding errors that made bullets that hit you not do damage. But it still results in immortality for a properly specced character.

More than that even disregarding VATS, the AI is horribad, like worse than FEAR, which is my standby for decentish AI, and when you release a game years after something, you damn well do something better than it. They have problems with just stuffing rooms full of enemies and calling it difficulty, rather than actually balancing the encounters such that they are interesting. The only interesting encounter I think I remember, was getting a guy with a rocket launcher inside of Buffalo Bills, and that might have been because of mods. The movement feels like shit, there's no momentum behind it, and it feels like you are gliding. The guns feel wrong, most of them are so inaccurate that the bullets come out of the barrel diagonally at least early on. I could seriously go on about how shitty the game was judging it as an FPS.

Keep in mind before I found RPGs about 6 years ago now, FPS was my fucking genre, I'm an oppinionated son of a bitch, but I'm played most of the FPS's on the market. When the closest thing I can compare Fallout 3/NV to, is CoD but worse because none of it's mechanics fit together properly, or are properly implemented, that game is BAD, capital Bee Eh Dee, bad.

norolim

Arcane
Hey, agris, how come you haven't yet popped a vein or two in the real world? You know the one where pleople repeatedly say that they won't do something because it will take light-years. :troll:

norolim

Arcane
it will take light-years.

:negative:

Edit : Of course it's a distance unit which is why I loose a little more faith in humanity each time is see sentences like these.
That's exactly my point, you morons. People say or write shit like this all the time and since agris is so sensitive about it, I was wandering how he can cope. It must be brutal for him to get through every day. :smug:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'm OK with it. Or rather, desensitized. The frustrating part about the Nano class is that i intend to play TToN, thus i actually care about the impressions it gives me.

Oh well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ILW26Xb.jpg

Well well, what do we have here

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Translation:

One of the 8 available companions will be Aligern, a former priest of aeon. In his ignorance and arrogance he ignored the elder scrolls / writings of the elders while experimenting with a strange apperatus.
In the following catastrophe his village got destroyed and after he woke up again he had strange tattoos on his arms which provide him with incredible powers. he now wants to repent for his sins and his grim determination will lead him to dark paths.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Are you being somewhat facetious Because I hope not

Elder Scrolls (enjoy your lawsuit)
grim...dark

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Are you being somewhat facetious Because I hope not

Elder Scrolls (enjoy your lawsuit)
grim...dark

It won't be translated as elder scrolls in English I guess, but that's what it says in German. More like writings of the elders I think. grim and dark is a literal translation of what it says there.

karfhud

Augur
Translation:

One of the 8 available companions will be Aligern, a former a priest of aeon. In his ignorance and arrogance he ignored the elder scrolls / writings of the elders while experimenting with a strange apperatus.
In the following catastrophe his village got destroyed and after he woke up again he had strange tattoos on his arms which provide him with incredible powers. he now wants to repent for his sins and his grim determination will lead him to dark paths.

Thanks for the translation.

I must say it doesn't sound like a killer-story sort of companion. A horny, flying skull whose main ability is the Litany of Curses (which literally means a litany of curses, mind you), who was banished to a giant Pillar of Skulls for his sins and finally - who's your character's best friend. Now that is a proper companion.

Still, it was written by a journalist and he might've focused on the seemingly crucial points of the character. The description does reveal more than Colin's answer in the recent interview on RPS, though (who only mentioned the tattoos).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I must say it doesn't sound like a killer-story sort of companion. A horny, flying skull whose main ability is the Litany of Curses (which literally means a litany of curses, mind you), who was banished to a giant Pillar of Skulls for his sins and finally - who's your character's best friend. Now that is a proper companion.

Psst, this one is the Dak'kon equivalent, not the Morte equivalent

Athelas

Arcane
I don't think you can judge whether it's gonna be a good companion or not based on a few very general sentences (unless we're talking about Bioware).

I hope they're not afraid of doing their own thing rather than trying to ape PS:T at every turn. It's already bad enough that the game's premise is practically identical to PS:T.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Psst, this one is the Dak'kon equivalent, not the Morte equivalent

Mystic, brooding guy, check.
Caused the destruction of his community, check.
Cool weapon linked to his inner essence, check.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom