Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grimlorn

Arcane
Has the preproduction phase of this game really been going for a year?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bros, I'm so stoked with the game. I actually realized that this is the only game I really look forward to.

I don't really care for W2 and PoE, though I've backed both.

I'm obsessed, I decided to start a Russian wikia for the game and I'm reading through all of the possible materials about the game, digging all the useful info about gameplay mechanics and lore and translating them. This is the first time I'm stoked so much about one single game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Adam Heine Q&A: http://www.adamheine.com/2014/04/ama-7-quick-answers.html

The lovely Authoress asks:
Why aren't you writing a novel right now? :)

Brian Fargo (my boss's boss) has been quoted as saying that we have generated 800 pages of design documents, and I'm personally responsible for about 150,000 words of those documents. (That's an excuse, I know. I am writing a novel, but much more slowly than before.)

Ali Martinez asks:
Are you guys going to make the [Torment] combat system like Planescape/Baldur with the pausable real-time mode?. Because right now there are WAY too many "turn based combat games" like Banner Saga , Blackguards , ShadowRun, Wasteland, Divinity Original Sin ETC. And I really think that many people want that old school RPG complex combat system, so it would be great if you guys go with the real time paused system :)

Torment's combat will be turn-based, which we've talked about (and there were "many people" on both sides of that decision).

(Also, real-time w/ pause = old school? Am I that old?).

Hiver asks:
How come the Changing God doesnt get that his discarded shells are continuing to live? He seems as a rather smart guy and he makes them himself. - Does every shell survive or just some? How come?​

I can't answer too much without spoiling, but he does get it (at some point).

David asks:
Can I play T:ToN without having to learn the massive lore beforehand? Can I as a layman play the game and learn about the world and rules through playing the game rather than having to study beforehand?
I ask because whenever I see an interview or an update, I've got the strong sense I'm missing a vast amount of knowledge.

I backed both Project Eternity and Torment Tides of Numenera, but my attention had been focused mostly on following Project Eternity. I now have this idea that starting T:ToN I might be well out of my depth. I hope not, because so far, I like everything I've read. And as a fairly critical person, that's rare.
You will absolutely be able to play Torment without knowing anything beforehand. If you come in having read every post and novella, you'll notice cool things here and there, but we are explicitly assuming the player has no background knowledge coming in.

Hugo Chavez asks:
You're pretty cool. What's your shtick?
Clean living, Jesus, and a barrel of children who won't let my head get big for even a second.

Left that last one in for the WCDS. :salute:

Athelas

Arcane

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
800 pages of design documents
:whatho:
I guess they've been busy.

Because right now there are WAY too many "turn based combat games"
And I really think that many people want that old school RPG complex combat system
:nocountryforshitposters:

I really hope they can deliver on the hype for this game. It seems like it has the potential to be glorious - loads of talented developers, an interesting setting, ambitious design, 2D. But with a year of preproduction time, I just hope they can make the kickstarter money last long enough to finish.

hiver

I can't answer too much without spoiling, but he does get it (at some point).

meh. Spoiling schmoiling. Also - excuses. I know he will get it "at some point", already.

Last edited by a moderator:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Personally I am all but ignoring all details other than those that have zero spoiler info. I intend to savour the hell out of this one I just hope it's gooood.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If a work doesn't contain all the information you need to understand it, the creators have messed up in a bad way.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I really hope they can deliver on the hype for this game. It seems like it has the potential to be glorious - loads of talented developers, an interesting setting, ambitious design, 2D. But with a year of preproduction time, I just hope they can make the kickstarter money last long enough to finish.

Yeah I know they raised a lot of money but I can't imagine this being sustainable since WL2 is still a ways from completion. I'm really excited for this game but I'm worried they kickstarted it too soon. I don't want it to be one of these kickstarter situations where games need to be split to raise more funds, or can't be completed without early access money.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The Eternity team worked for quite a while with bare minimum staff. InXile no doubt has less pre-production staff than the Eternity crew, they have an Environment Artist (at least), a Programmer or two and a Level Designer on site. They have the Eternity tools which basically negates a lot of the work required for setting up their Art Pipeline (which took a huge amount of time in Eternity). I believe they also have the Eternity Dialogue tools as well, which probably contains the new quest system flow chart thingo (Brother None, ksaun ?).

Not sure if they have anyone doing Character Art or Animation working on Torment yet, probs just leased a few people from the WL2 crew to get some prototypes going for a couple weeks.

Anyway, having bought the Eternity tools for Torment, that should prove to be a very economical decision and they should be able to get going rather quickly. I'd only be a little bit concerned about being a bit behind on Character/Creature Modelling and Animation time in pre-production. They may already have that covered though.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
They are also reusing combat from WL2. Naturally they will try to reuse tools where possible.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
InXile just hired a bunch of guys including George Ziets. They're obviously nowhere near out of money and once Wasteland 2 comes out doubly so.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wtf is clean living? Or maybe I don't want to know?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wtf is clean living? Or maybe I don't want to know?
No drugs. Though Thailand's anti-drug laws are excessively punitive, especially for foreigners, so it's not like he has much of a choice.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No drugs. Though Thailand's anti-drug laws are excessively punitive, especially for foreigners, so it's not like he has much of a choice.
Good for him then. Thanks for the info. Looked way worse than that in conjunction with 'Jesus'.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I trust the people leading Torment more than Wasteland 2 but I know more about the Torment people so it could just be more information. Also I still need to pledge for the physical copies of those books before I can't anymore.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Does anybody really trust InXile after the monumental fuckup that is Wasteland 2?
Wasteland 2 is the result of a team that doesn't have any idea how to make a RPG trying to play safe, waaaay too safe. Torment team has people that actually knows how to make a RPG, so the chances of it turning out to be something better are bigger.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom