Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Realtime is just turnbased where most of the turns are automated based on previous input, like that Wasteland 2 feature.

hiver

your humor is not funny Planthex.

hiver is fighting the good fight with his voice.

yeah, well... low tolerance for stupidity will do that to you, but thanks anyway on that elegant juxtaposition. Shame my previous reply to that fucking moron nomdeplume was deleted... and i "just" called him a strawman dispenser.

Im not really convinced that Tb winning is actually that important or that if more backers would involve themselves the votes would be any different either.
I have a bad feeling in my gut... but that may be about something else, unrelated to the game. - and should i say "hopefully" - or not... fucking hell...

I so fucking hate these premonitions.

- edit -

Damn i hope that dream with the squirrel is still valid... damnit Colin, youre going to disappoint the squirrel!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
yet amazingly phasebased is phasebased and turn based is turn based / i.e. they are not the same. mind fucking blowing i know.
how is phase-based not a derivative of turn based?
your humor is not funny Planthex.
one could argue that he is right, though. since real time on the computer is actually many very small turns stacked together which create the illusion of continuity where there is none... so computer real time is just turn based in disguise.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
one could argue that he is right, though. since real time on the computer is actually many very small turns stacked together which create the illusion of continuity where there is none... so computer real time is just turn based in disguise.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What does the "turn" in turn-based mean? It means that characters take turns to do shit. They don't do it simultaneously.

It's a mistake to think of "turn-based" as merely "action punctuated by regular pauses during which decisions can be made". That's what leads to retards who think RTwP is turn-based if you turn on autopause on end of round.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Lust, perversion and subtle innuendo are good tools in a writer's toolbox. When used with moderation. Text is an excellent medium for that, this is probably why PS:T did so well back in the day. DA/ME approach with the cut scenes just ends up being uncanny.

A little bit of sexual content works wonders even with worn out themes. How to make an orc feel vile and terrifying again?

How about we make them rape you as they kill you?

Hire Clive Barker to write a few villains for the story, that'd be fun.

Aroused beyond control, he turned to the wall he had been leaning against. The sun had fallen full upon it, and it was warm; the bricks smelled ambrosial. He laid kisses on their gritty faces, his hands exploring every nook and cranny. Murmuring sweet nothings, he unzipped himself, found an accommodating niche, and filled it. His mind was running with liquid pictures: mingled anatomies, female and male in one undistinguishable congress. Above him, even the clouds had caught fire. Enthralled by their burning heads he felt the moment rise in his gristle. Breath was short now. But the ecstasy? Surely that would go on forever.

Without warning a spasm of pain traveled down his spine from cortex to testicles and back again, convulsing him. His hands lost grip of the brick and he finished his agonizing climax on the air as he fell across the pavement. For several seconds he lay where he had collapsed, while the echoes of the initial spasm bounced back and forth along his spine, diminishing with each return. He could taste blood at the back of his throat. He wasn't certain if he'd bitten his lip or tongue, but he thought not. Above his head the birds circled on, rising lazily on a spiral of warm air. He watched the fire in the clouds gutter out.

He got to his feet and looked down at the coinage of semen he'd spent on the pavement. For a fragile instant he caught again a whiff of the vision he'd just had; imagined a marriage of his seed with the paving stone. What sublime children the world might boast, he thought, if he could only mate with brick or tree. He would gladly suffer the agonies of conception if such miracles were possible. But the paving stone was unmoved by his seed's entreaties. The vision, like the fire above him, cooled and hid its glories.

St. Toxic

Arcane
it's p. much the definition of phase based and it's pure tb.

Does not compute. The core of phase based is simultaneous execution of actions. The only way you get tb out of it, is by considering phases as turns. But that would mean, for instance, that homm could be an rts and still be considered turn-based due to the separate phases of map activity, combat and pre-combat planning.

mondblut

Arcane
The core of phase based is simultaneous execution of actions.

Bullshit. The core of phase based is separation of planning and execution phases (duh!). Whether the execution phase is executed as simultaneous or consequential actions is completely irrelevant. Wizardry and Bard's Tale are phase-based, and they have turn-based execution.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
"I thought I'd flex a muscle or two"

:lol:

His arguments against turn-based are some of the most hilarious I've ever heard. "TURN-BASED TAKES PLACE IN SOME KIND OF PSEUDO-TIME WORLD" ahahahahaha, the argument that turn-based is crap because it isn't realistic enough, fuuuuuck this is sooooo gooooooood :lol:

He doesn't even realize what sea means when he points out that IE was round-based... "One definitive real-time with pause" what the fuuuuuuuck... "Turn-Based is less tactical..." jesus christ what is this i don't even

His *ENTIRE* argument is cosmetic and superficial. It is one of the worst arguments in the TB vs. Real Time debate I've ever heard, and I find any argument that think you can even have a meaningful "which is better and why" discussion here is fundamentally idiotic. But this... wow. Just wow. It is very unfortunate that sea ends up taking a stance in that retarded debate because it gives smudboy some relevant ammunition that he shouldn't have had, but in the end, it doesn't make the core of his point less retarded.

Also: :avatard:

Last edited:

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
QMwX24n.gif

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Uh oh.

Too bad I have to go to work. Someone wanna give me the Coles/Cliff Notes version?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Uh oh.

Too bad I have to go to work. Someone wanna give me the Coles/Cliff Notes version?

1) Wasteland 2 can be turn-based because it is a sequal to Wasteland 1, so NYAH

2) Turn-Based is less tactical because something

3) Turn-Based creates a pseudo-time warp and turns your characters into puppets SO IT CAN'T WORK WITH A GAME THAT FOCUSES ON NARRATIVE, SEE?

4) IE games round-based? What are you talking about? THEY WERE RTWP IDIOT

5) You are retarded when you argue that TB is qualitatively better than RTWP

He is basically right on #5, the whole debate is fucking stupid and always has been, and it is unfortunate that you gave him the ammo to shoot down this strawman in addition to arranging his other stupid arguments... essentially his video doesn't look as stupid as it could have because he gets to shoot down your false dichotomy between TB/RTWP in which an either/or debate can occur.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It baffles me that someone could consider freezing time well within the suspension of disbelief needed to cope with gameplay mechanics but would have his immersion shattered by a turn based system.

I also like how he states a Gran Turismo successor must be a "driving game", but a torment's successor can't just be an RPG or even a top down RPG with party-based combat, no no, it must be a "D&D based infinity engine style game with a real time with pause combat engine". It's obviously a very personnal list of features but he seem to consider it a well established and unbiased fact.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
"Pseudo time space world." :lol:

This guy is fucking hilarious, and apparently taking himself seriously.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
3) Turn-Based creates a pseudo-time warp and turns your characters into puppets SO IT CAN'T WORK WITH A GAME THAT FOCUSES ON NARRATIVE, SEE?
I tried to make him explain this in the YT comments, but he just kept repeating the same thing, randomly adding the word 'metaphysics' here and there.

Eventually I realized he must be communicating on some different wavelength, so there is no way we can understand each other.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The funny thing is that a "pseudo time space world" fits perfectly in Numenera. Make it a unique ability of the Last Castoff or something.

I'm more puzzled by his expectation that the game be D&D-based, personally. Why'd he even pledge to this?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
No idea either.
Judging from his replies, he either has not played the original Torment or played it very briefly.

hiver

Let's all take a moment to re-read a classic piece of codex lore and then never call phasebased turnbased ever again. http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=21
Word. My good man. Word.

The core of phase based is simultaneous execution of actions.

Bullshit. The core of phase based is separation of planning and execution phases (duh!). Whether the execution phase is executed as simultaneous or consequential actions is completely irrelevant. Wizardry and Bard's Tale are phase-based, and they have turn-based execution.
No you fucking asshat. The very point of TB IS that characters take their actions one after another.

Thats the fucking CORE of TB system!

yet amazingly phasebased is phasebased and turn based is turn based / i.e. they are not the same. mind fucking blowing i know.
how is phase-based not a derivative of turn based?
What is derivative of what was never contested here.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom