Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

MCA
I expect way more.

About half a million would be a reasonable number. If they had made this shit 3d it would have sold at least 3/4 of a million. Oh well. I guess a man's gotta do what he gotta do, eh?

What are building this on? I don't believe there such a big market for old school cRPGs.

Grimrock, 600,000 copies. A dungeon crawler sold that much.

Also that these games are being heralded as part of the new gaming renaissance now. They got so much attention, so many thunders, they are also inadvertently raising awareness and interest among gamers. Gamings sites that used to shit at mere mention of P&C, 2D, TB or text heavy games "in this age" up until now, have now been giving so much coverage and exaltation to these games now because of the flowing capital, it's unavoidable that these games will draw as much attention at release and will likely generate positive impressions regardless of the actual quality.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Amnesia sold over a million, most of it outside of any bundles, and continues to sell 10k per month. If the new Torment is actually good, it will easily sell 500k within the first few weeks, and likely continue to sell for a very long time.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Amnesia sold over a million, most of it outside of any bundles, and continues to sell 10k per month. If the new Torment is actually good, it will easily sell 500k within the first few weeks, and likely continue to sell for a very long time.
Amnesia sells because of stuff like this. Whole another story.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Amnesia sells because of stuff like this. Whole another story.

Yep, but Torment, W2 and PE have other things going for them as well - an established fanbase, hype and media awareness generated by Kickstarter, people in charge who actually know how to promote games, and so on.

Fundamentally though, it's going to depend on word of mouth. If the games are good, they will sell a fair amount ultimately.

Project: Eternity
This is what bothers me about you guys sometimes... you read "Stronghold" and you go "doesn't suit Torment". I already wrote in a different thread that there are 100000s of ways to make it work, it just takes good writing and imagination.

C) Get the bad guy attack it if you stay too much in it.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Fundamentally though, it's going to depend on word of mouth. If the games are good, they will sell a fair amount ultimately.

We hope, because anything other than that would kick Incline to the curb.

Well, to be fair, it doesn't even have to be that much. If they sell it on Steam for $30, 200k copies gives them about 4.2m of profit after Gaben takes his cut. That's about the budget they have for this, and they don't need to spend any of it on backer awards or Amazon/Kickstarter bridge tolls. That's why Fargo said 200k copies sold is easily enough for him in that Forbes interview. And I honestly don't think it's unreasonable to expect those kinds of numbers. I would honestly expect more, although the situation is unique enough that it's hard to make a good argument in favor of anything.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm not flying all the way across the United States in the middle of the week just for a closing party... though I did consider it briefly.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not flying all the way across the United States in the middle of the week just for a closing party... though I did consider it briefly.
Yeah, I also missed the lottery numbers this week, so I couldn't go to the party.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I also missed the lottery numbers this week, so I couldn't go to the party.
Of course the US Consulate in Budapest would be nice and issue you a tourist visa in just two hours.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Of course the US Consulate in Budapest would be nice and issue you a tourist visa in just two hours.
This is a state of emergency.

Fucking huns don't need Visas anymore, if I'm not mistaken.
Really? Cool, I need to take a trip to the US sometimes. :)
Yeah, I wish. In my dreams.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, to be fair, it doesn't even have to be that much. If they sell it on Steam for $30, 200k copies gives them about 4.2m of profit after Gaben takes his cut. That's about the budget they have for this, and they don't need to spend any of it on backer awards or Amazon/Kickstarter bridge tolls. That's why Fargo said 200k copies sold is easily enough for him in that Forbes interview. And I honestly don't think it's unreasonable to expect those kinds of numbers. I would honestly expect more, although the situation is unique enough that it's hard to make a good argument in favor of anything.
I wouldn't be surprised to see these games do close to a million in sales if they're good.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if they do 100k in sales.

It's new territory and I have no idea what's going to happen, but I'm excited.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
534919_10151324571117665_1583755172_n.jpg

Jashiin

Arcane
I think they'll add this regardless of meeting the stretch goal though.
Don't count on it.
You really think so? I dunno. I've been under the impression that most "stretch goals" for games like Torment are all about pushing for extra money and were probably somewhere in the works all along. Like, do you honestly believe MCA wouldn't be involved after his stretch goal was announced but they didn't meet the goal? I'm no expert but I bet they already had an agreement signed before it was even announced.

I have no doubt they're going to scale back on the scope of the game, especially what they say in the vision document, so maybe a player stronghold is superficial enough to be lopped off. I do feel like they're biting off a lot more than they can chew here, though. The vision document makes it sound like the most ambitious game ever conceived.

I'm not sure inXile actually want to make a stronghold.

Even if it reaches 4.5 million I don't see a problem perse. If this team can do the things we expect of them then why should they not be able to tackle this in a interesting way? Perhaps one of the outcomes could have a character decide to create his own community ("stronghold") and building that up through various quests.

I don't expect them to just make a house to hang your trophies and fill it with the numera version of ikea.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
From the video stream (referring to audio/video setup issues):

"You'd think we were launching a space shuttle."

rootbro.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom