Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Holy shit, the guy doing the TNO voice in the videos is Alexander Brandon of Deus Ex soundtrack fame.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If Pat Rothfuss joins the writing team, Roguey is going to (pretend to) blow a fuse.

I don't care much for the guy either but it will be a nice publicity boost for sure, he has a huge fandom.

hiver

Preferences over Patrick novels mean nothing.
I had several objections to this or that in the story of Kvothe - but thats a different story.
He has a very, very good way with words - he is top quality writer and using his talent and skills in Tides is going to create awesome.

Plus he has a proper view of games. Fallouts, Planescape, loves text adventures.
And he hates same things that we do.

Plus yes, a large publicity boost.

thats THREE positives. I dont see how you could do better than that.

More Stretch Goals, including best-selling fantasy author Pat Rothfuss!

Ahahaha oh wow

images

I'd cancel those pledges were I you, wouldn't want to achieve *that* goal.

Rake

Arcane
Preferences over Patrick novels mean nothing.
I had several objections to this or that in the story of Kvothe - but thats a different story.
He has a very, very good way with words - he is top quality writer and using his talent and skills in Tides is going to create awesome.

Plus he has a proper view of games. Fallouts, Planescape, loves text adventures.
And he hates same things that we do.

Plus yes, a large publicity boost.

thats THREE positives. I dont see how you could do better than that.
:bro:.
This.
I don't realy like his novels, but he is one of the best writers out there in writting quality.

Gondolin

Arcane
I was going to say that, having realized that Rothfuss is responsible for that Kvothe crap I tried reading once, he's not worth it as a stretch goal. But then I remembered that Raymond Feist's shit stories worked far better in Betrayal at Krondor (a computer game medium), than in his books. So there.

hiver

evdk

and others jumping to conclusions:

Maybe you could read this:

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2013/03/concerning-games-torment-and-a-sense-of-play/

not that i give a flying fuck about what you think, but read.
(has a bit of clarification about what Patrick will be doing too)

A small part of that:

On Sunday, a tall dark stranger came up to me and said, “You’re Pat Rothfuss, aren’t you?”
“Yup,” I said. We shook hands and I read his badge. “Nice to meet you Colin,” I gestured to the vast panoply of geekery around us. “How do you fit into all of this?”
“I write games,” he said.
“Role Playing stuff? Computer games?”
“Both,” he said. “I worked on Planescape back in the day…”
“The computer game?” I asked.
He nodded.
“Planescape Torment?” I asked.
He nodded again.
“You are fucking kidding me,” I said. “I was just talking to someone about Torment. That was one of the best games I’ve ever played.”
He looked at little surprised at this, “Wow,” he said. “I….”
“The narrative was brilliant,” I said. “It’s been ten years, and I haven’t known a game to come close to it.”
“Well…”
“I mean you had honest-to-god open-ended character development that was an integral part of the main narrative,” I said. “Nobody else has ever pulled that off as well. It was amazing.”
“It…”
“I still remember the interaction you could have with some of the NPC’s,” I said. “You actually had to be clever talking to them. You could offend them and piss them off. The writing was solid and smart. You had a branching narrative that still felt cohesive and engaging. I’ve never seen that handled so well except for maybe in the early Fallout games.”
“…”

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bought Name of The Wind (and the sequel) for my wife and she loved it. Haven't read it myself, though, Maybe it's time to do it.

Rake

Arcane
Pat is an excellent writter and his tastes are :obviously:. But as evdk said, his plotting is weak. To be honest i enjoy his blog more than his novels. But as himself said, he can do one area and be involved in a character arc, things he is good at. So i think he is a good addition to the team, and a chance to have writting on par or even better than Planescape's in this game. So, :incline:

hiver

if more credentials are needed, a little comic from Pats blog.
he did the writing of course.

lWaz1Sh.jpg
PyJm8SB.jpg

Dt4B074.jpg

i think that settles it.

Pat Rothfuss is a talented author (and apparently a really nice guy) whose book's success is most likely both a blessing and a curse, in the sense that it is something he's been working on for decades now and which, as a writer, he has long since completely outgrown and is obviously struggling rather hard to revise and complete (a task which is in my experience a good deal more difficult than writing something new from scratch -- and, unfortunately, the results are generally worse, too). I'm not a huge fan of the novels (the second one in particular would in my opinion have only benefited from being trimmed down by a third or so), but I'm really curious about anything he writes apart from that, Torment included. (Also, I loved George Ziets' poker face delivery in the video).

Arkeus

Arcane
Let's just hope that the 3.5 stretch goal is no Pat Anymore. Time to withdraw my pledge until it appears though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom