Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fry

Arcane
Bah. Two crises in a row bugged and unable to start the first turn. I'm done until they fix that.

SniperHF

Arcane
Thus far the highlight for me is definitely the quests. Multiple solutions, different things happen when failing checks than you'd expect sometimes, InXile Style reactivity. An obvious example is freeing Tybir's associate from execution. If you talk to the official on stage about the situation, go do some of the quests stuff and come back with a pardon and government badge, the guy on stage will snap back at you and question why you didn't have that badge before.

Bah. Two crises in a row bugged and unable to start the first turn. I'm done until they fix that.

I've had crises fail to "end" essentially and be stuck with the camera locked on the battlefield area and unable to move or interact with anything.

So far the main challenge in playing for me though isn't bugs, it's just how slow everything is. I'm plugging along but kinda busy at the moment :(
Lack of quicksave is also rather painful given something could break at any moment. They should prioritize adding that before it goes live on Early Access.

Cyphers

Oddities

The rest of the stuff I found was mostly plain ol' weapons, armour, or gadgets that gave small bonuses.

Also right now you can't seem to transfer Cyphers between NPCs and if you pick up too many you get negative status effects. So I end up dropping a lot of them.

That is a fucking shame. Cyphers do all kinds of weird ass shit in the PnP. I guess exploding a stick white goo over a 30 meter radiance that gives everyone covered in it various elemental resistances is hard to do..

The heavier hitters thus far are the set-piece interactive items during combat. I'm not entirely sure if those are considered Cyphers, Oddities, or something else. I didn't think they were considered Cyphers since that seems more designated for inventory items.

Fry

Arcane
So far the main challenge in playing for me though isn't bugs, it's just how slow everything is. I'm plugging along but kinda busy at the moment :(

I'm not a fan of the run/walk animations. Feels very clunky and, yes, very slow. The ability to bring up the area map and select a section rather than panning around the entire map would also help.

Lack of quicksave is also rather painful

Extremely so.

Oh well. Beta is beta. I'll come back after a couple of updates.

Prime Junta

Try saving, quitting the game, restarting, and reloading. It got those un-stuck for me. OTOH just reloading keeps it stuck in the same wa

Thus far the highlight for me is definitely the quests. Multiple solutions, different things happen when failing checks than you'd expect sometimes, InXile Style reactivity. An obvious example is freeing Tybir's associate from execution. If you talk to the official on stage about the situation, go do some of the quests stuff and come back with a pardon and government badge, the guy on stage will snap back at you and question why you didn't have that badge before.

Yup, that stuff is neat and there's a lot of it. The cocktopus problem can be solved a number of ways, but some of them are only available if you solved certain other problems certain ways -- and not necessarily what you'd expect to be the "right" way.

I've had crises fail to "end" essentially and be stuck with the camera locked on the battlefield area and unable to move or interact with anything.

Yeah they're bugged. Save, quit to desktop, restart, reload has gotten me unstuck though; just save and reload causes the problem to reappear.

Also right now you can't seem to transfer Cyphers between NPCs and if you pick up too many you get negative status effects. So I end up dropping a lot of them.

Aye. Also, merchants aren't implemented so you can't even sell them, and I got stuck with "Cypher Sickness (minor)" multiple times and dropping them to get below the limit didn't clear it. Bugged.

The heavier hitters thus far are the set-piece interactive items during combat. I'm not entirely sure if those are considered Cyphers, Oddities, or something else. I didn't think they were considered Cyphers since that seems more designated for inventory items.

Something else. Cyphers are little single-use 'magic' items you carry, oddities are little 'magic' items that just do something weird rather than obviously useful. Shatterstar, the Lord's Cup, and the cube thingy are oddities.

Those environment interactions during crises are kind of neat by the way. On the other hand that + the massive variety of ways to avoid combat gives me the feel that playing a Tough Glaive who Bashes Heads (okay, there wasn't a focus like that but you get my drift) might not be all that rewarding, as a Slick Nano who Wields a Silver Tongue gets all the cool dialog and interaction options and will find even cooler ways to beat the combat encounters by environment interactions.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Rahdulan, I hope you're aware that beta key could also be your final game key?

That would be amazing, even if I'm just happy to try the beta as it is. Glad to hear it's at least a possibility.

What CYOA mere you get depends on choices you make in the crisis. If you make choices related to compassion .e.g. then you get Whale mere.

Hot damn. Now I know I'm making a completely different character come release just to check out my options.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Smashing news everybody, the mentally ill transwoman who brought us

HVIYZNJ.png

has more concise thoughts about Torment.

The Codex is so much better with tweet-embedding. The downside is that these are far more likely to vanish into the ether but oh well, life is fleeting.

Though fucking lol @ that guy who's mad because the UI takes up most of the screen when displaying text, as it should.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Let's hope they do take a note from Obsidian's playbook and redo the main char portraits as Obs. did. They really aren't great.
(though they could be still WIP/placeholders and we're all being stupid meanies)

likaq

Arcane
Smashing news everybody, the mentally ill transwoman who brought us

HVIYZNJ.png

has more concise thoughts about Torment.

The Codex is so much better with tweet-embedding. The downside is that these are far more likely to vanish into the ether but oh well, life is fleeting.

Though fucking lol @ that guy who's mad because the UI takes up most of the screen when displaying text, as it should.

I wonder what these retards have to say about gfx in undertale, terraria or hotline miami.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I liked the neo-80s aesthetic of Hotline Miami.

And it is true that inXile is lacking when it comes to having art direction.

Prime Junta

I liked the neo-80s aesthetic of Hotline Miami.

And it is true that inXile is lacking when it comes to having art direction.

Yeah. It's like they're lacking a unifying vision for the art and are just subcontracting it from whoever seems cool at the time. It's uneven and kinda random.

Bit of a shame for T:ToN because one of the things that made PS:T PS:T was the way it looked. Everything from little piles of junk to massive buildings looked of a piece.

Prime Junta

How do i get rid of Cyher sickness?

Drop a cypher.

It was bugged for me at least once though, and dropping them didn't help. It was listed multiple times when hovering on the negative fettle button.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I've put in 5 hours into the game so far and I still haven't found a single irritating thing. At one point in the scripted sequence with the whale (you call it CYAO? what's that?), I spent ~15 minutes just thinking about what I want to choose from available options, so the writing is definitely engaging I'd say.

It's still too early for me to comment, but I'd like to mention one thing. Remember how Defiance Bay in PoE felt empty? Big empty areas, but not enough people and they didn't do anything. It just felt dead with all the empty space. Well in Torment it's not the case at all. The locations seem smaller, more compact, so even though the number of NPCs may be the same, it still feels lively. Also there are kids running around, people walk around doing their shit. It feels alive. I see that inXile carefully read through all of the PoE's critique and found ways around all the issues present in PoE. Smart.

What people are complaining about is beyond me. The "UI" complaints - do you people also complain about a book's cover?
The "I wanted the narrative structure to be exactly like Torment" complaints - I don't even...
"There's not enough weird races" - uh, seriously? The entire game is weird in a good way and very original so far, so I don't even know what you're talking about. Wherever you look, there's something weird going on.

Last edited:

likaq

Arcane
There are even people here ( codex ) who thinks that TToN looks like shit. Talk about hipsterism.

---

Arcane
There are even people here ( codex ) who thinks that TToN looks like shit. Talk about hipsterism.
I think that visually it's simply beautiful (the opening area, the 'laboratory' in which you fight against Sorrow fragment etc...) but yes, portraits and character models are quite bad. Fortunately, inXile guys said that they are temporary.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
What people are complaining about is beyond me. The "UI" complaints - do you people also complain about a book's cover?
Yes? And if I was in charge of book cover art or UI development I'd be glad someone actually cares about my work.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom