Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Live on IGN

Shadenuat

Arcane
It also meant characters were very limited in what equipment they could use. Spritework like in PS:T looks great, but it also has a lot of cost-prohibitive issues.
True, but I feel that for RPG with strong focus on narrative, JRPG approach used in PST for it's characters was a good move.

that might have more to to with what they are (just standard humans) than the level of graphical detail.
Humans don't look alike, have same body proportions or even move alike.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
It's the PoE engine, just zoom in.
How would zooming in change the fact that character models don't have lots of detail or unique movement, acting, casting, fighting or idle animations (or so I assume)? Even on 2 different companions, robes seem to flutter at a same time.
2d graphics really emphasized personality of PST characters.
They could desynchronise the robes. And for different characters use different movemtent animations (there are several in the unity asset shop). And about the 2d graphics: Having played F01 and PS:T again, i see that it was not better, the same generic enemies and NPCs with the same movement and the same animations.

The advantage of using 3D models is that every item in inventory has impact on the character looks ( not to mention lighting environment ). I really like how it turned out in Pillars and I think that Pillars is the best CRPG in terms of graphics right now. It reminded me of Sanitarium in a very good way.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The advantage of using 3D models is that every item in inventory has impact on the character looks
One other feature of PST was also that characters did not use same items. And imo it did more good than bad, making them even more different from each other.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The advantage of using 3D models is that every item in inventory has impact on the character looks.

Yeah, like in Wasteland 2, amirite?

It's inXile, it will probably be more important to make everyone feel speschul with cool hairdos and hats rather than actually showing what the characters are wearing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The advantage of using 3D models is that every item in inventory has impact on the character looks.

Yeah, like in Wasteland 2, amirite?

It's inXile, it will probably be more important to make everyone feel speschul with cool hairdos and hats rather than actually showing what the characters are wearing.

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15149&p=167193&hilit=clothing#p166351

Brother None said:
Yes, armor appearance shows on the character.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Man, should've just ignored this.:S I put this game almost completely out of my mind, was perfectly fine with, 'np, I'll play it when it's out', but after watching this I'm all hyped up again. Gonna be a long wait now 'til release.

likaq

Arcane
The advantage of using 3D models is that every item in inventory has impact on the character looks ( not to mention lighting environment )

I was wondering how long it would take for codex to bitch about this.
Turns out that 10 minutes is the answer.

Delbaeth

Learned
Wait for the official release.

Then the Codex will say it's shit.

And then, that's what the Codex will be:
639px-Scarabaeidae_-_Scarabaeus_sacer.JPG

:martini:

likaq

Arcane
I think that Pillars is the best CRPG in terms of graphics right now

Dear rpgcodex.
This guy is saying that Poe have better graphics than SitS and IE games.
This surely deserves some attention from hivemind, no?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The beta is released. I am trying to decide whether to get a bowl popcorn to accompany the unfolding drama, or a box of kleenexes for when I am reduced to tears by Codexian scorn.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Learned my lesson with Wasteland 2 and Divinity OS, will wait year or two until Director's Cut.

...probably. If I don't break.
I won't.
If 'dex won't talk about this game a lot.

...:shittydog:
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:fuckiwananapalayaplayapalPLAYWANNA

FeelTheRads

Arcane

sstacks

Arcane
Hey all, IF any of you backed Torment at the beta level, and IF you are not going to have time to play the Beta that released today, I would love to beg that steam key off of you for review / let's play purposes.

I backed but not at beta level :(

I did back Bard's Tale IV at goody levels, which includes Torment when it releases.

Thanks or ignore or lambast me for asking, all is fair game on the Codex :P

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I'm sure inXile will have a copy to spare for a prestigious youtuber.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom