Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Torment Kickstarter Update #52: New Mark Morgan Track, Circus Minor Screenshot

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Unity is really the absolute worst fucking thing to have happened to gaming in a long time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The one thing these game have going against them (in the future) is that an overwhelming percentage of players didn't even come close to finishing them, and that's reason #1 not to purchase the sequel at launch.

This is true for every game and sequels don't have a problem selling. Most people are satisfied with not finishing games (just look at Steam user reviews).

duanth123

Arcane
Is this thread a some sort of magnet for retards?

Yes, unfortunately.

Game looks fantastic.
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

It's amazing how you people can find something to bitch about when there's literally nothing concrete yet.

Dying to like the game? ROFL, because we like some pictures which are great looking? And they look great, you and the other idiots can shut the fuck up.

With any luck, they will get hired by InXile and be forced to stop posting here.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
, but that it lacks the personality and artistic coherency of one, as others have mentioned.
EFgHvJT.png

FrTUInz.png
People are throwing aroung these terms as if that would make them look clever and artistic experts. Meanwhile they only saw one or two pictures from one area.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't believe nobody has posted a crudely desaturated Photoshop yet!

likaq

Arcane
Yes, unfortunately.

As retarded as expecting that InXile would actually succeed at what it promised and exactly what it sold this game as, so...pretty retarded, I guess

And you know the issue is not that it isn't a carbon-copy of a Sigil map, but that it lacks the personality and artistic coherency of one

anywya the graphics of the original are better than this sequel

wasteland 2's subpar visuals

Unity is really the absolute worst fucking thing to have happened to gaming in a long time.

With any luck, they will be forced to stop posting here.

Yep, i agree.

From facebook, Thomas or Eric replying to somebody calling game too colorful :
The game's art direction is not identical to PS:T's, as the Numenera setting is different from Planescape's. However, we do have plenty of "darker" areas that we've shown before, such as the Bloom, and Sagus itself also has a few districts and areas that might feel more PS:T-like as well.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
From facebook, Thomas or Eric replying to somebody calling game too colorful :
The game's art direction is not identical to PS:T's, as the Numenera setting is different from Planescape's. However, we do have plenty of "darker" areas that we've shown before, such as the Bloom, and Sagus itself also has a few districts and areas that might feel more PS:T-like as well.

What? I can't tell how colorful a game is from one glance at one snippet of one environment?

What?

Weasel
It's silly to compare the cobblestones to those in our world. They're probably made of rada, a well known living substance in the World of Numenera which naturally grows in those patterns.

Fairfax

Arcane
The one thing these game have going against them (in the future) is that an overwhelming percentage of players didn't even come close to finishing them, and that's reason #1 not to purchase the sequel at launch.

This is true for every game and sequels don't have a problem selling. Most people are satisfied with not finishing games (just look at Steam user reviews).
Not really. A lot of RPGs have much higher completion rates, just check steam achievement stats and see for yourself.

throwaway

Cipher
I would potentially be as concerned as some in this thread by the bland generic medieval fantasy look of the screenshot had it not been the outlier in what has so far been a decent output of areas by Inexile. Basically this area seem to be by far the least interesting and well made of the one's we have seen, with virtually all the others being much more close to the acceptable.
With that being said, if the decision (by either Fargo, Adam Heine or ksaun )to have the beginning of the game be more familiar was potentially taken to be more welcoming to new players who do not know what they are getting themselves into, then that would be deplorable.

Also, if, at a stretch, the art direction differences are accountable to the contrast between Numenera and Planescape, rather than TTON's particularities, that would be a fucking shame since the Numenera's art is horrendous dogshit.

I can't believe nobody has posted a crudely desaturated Photoshop yet!
Is this a Diablo 3 reference?

Athelas

Arcane
With that being said, if the decision (by either Fargo, Adam Heine or ksaun )to have the beginning of the game be more familiar was potentially taken to be more welcoming to new players who do not know what they are getting themselves into, then that would be deplorable.
Yeah, they might be scared off by the cool-looking and interesting environments and ask for a Steam refund, bankrupting InXile in the process.

:notsureifserious:

throwaway

Cipher
Yeah, they might be scared off by the cool-looking and interesting environments and ask for a Steam refund, bankrupting InXile in the process.
Surely no design or pacing decision ever has been taken on grounds of familiarity.

Darkzone

Arcane
I am offended by those cobblestones. Nobody lays down cobblestones like that.
Despite that this sounds like a troll post, i have to admit that somehow it is really weird laid out and is changing the directions in in some places at around 90° and that is unusual. Normally this is done more organic with more slight curves, or like a zipper.
I'm getting a flashback to the Wasteland 2 train wagon coupling mechanism discussion.
Sometimes it is necessary.

I am offended by those cobblestones. Nobody lays down cobblestones like that.
Despite that this sounds like a troll post, i have to admit that somehow it is really weird laid out and is changing the directions in in some places at around 90° and that is unusual. Normally this is done more organic with more slight curves, or like a zipper.
I was more disturbed with the edges of the cobblestones. Seemingly they just blurred them at the edge close to the other floor instead of having a natural transition. it looks lazy and bad IMO.

Take a look at the cobblestones in PST how vibrant,organic,following the road and like a mosaic. Simply beautiful.
204414-torment___clerk_s_ward___1600x1200.jpg

EFgHvJT.png
And now at T:ToN.
14113_500.jpg
Simply lazy. Four blocks that are ordered 90° to each other with the same texture.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Autismtrain is rolling again? What will be next? Game is shit because people with wigs look like people with normal hair? Guys, seriously, get a fucking grip of yourself.

Darkzone

Arcane
#Cobblegate
Jesus Christ.
Excuse me while I go blind myself...

Autismtrain is rolling again? What will be next? Game is shit because people with wigs look like people with normal hair? Guys, seriously, get a fucking grip of yourself.
Sometimes a game can be an art form in itself that binds different artforms together. PS:T binds together different art forms into a "Gesamtkunstwerk". A cRPG as a Gesamtkunstwerk, is made by the world, the story, the narrative, the writing, the mechanisms, the NPCs, but also from sounds, music and graphic and art style and etc.
The Gesamtkunstwerk named PS:T, that was different than all other games before it, made it an incredible experience and it is only understood as such when played several times. Naturally PS:T is not perfect, because there exist no perfection and sometimes little mistakes can contribute towards a certain charme. But if the mistakes agglomerate then it becomes not as good. The cobblestones are not important part of the game and easy forgotten, but they are a first sign of a certain laziness, that can propagate through out the game, perhaps even in different departments. It can be also that this is just one thing. Nevertheless it has been noticed and the divine like the devil lies in the detail. So there is no complaining about the graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom