Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #5: Monte Cook Explains It All

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Nothing wrong with repeating options in dialog.

In a 'storyfag' RPG, such as Torment: Tides of Numenera, suspension of disbelief is an important feature. Asking someone 'who are you?' two or more times with the same answer each time should not be possible, as it inevitably breaks the suspension of disbelief. There are two options which don't: one is pruning the 'who are you?' branch and another is an 'What's wrong with you? You've already asked me that!' type of response (associated with a simple count variable).

If you realy want to go that way,make each responce to unlock an entire new dialog tree, and each responce on that another one, so there is no way to see all dialog options no matter how much reloading.

No need for that. The question is how the already available dialogues with already available choices should be implemented, not the addition of new choices. There is an already constructed / written full tree as a start. But it shoudn't be static. Depending on the type of choice, either only taken branches are pruned, or the whole subtrees are pruned as well (when there is an exclusive choice). That is not too difficult to implement.

In contrast to repeating options, reload spamming is something a player does to himself to diminish the fun (unless the player is an assburger and finds pleasure in performing exhaustive search).
Reload spamming to get the desired outcome can discouraged by good design (where the degrees of success / failure are different from binary, feedback is not always immediate, and there are 'more ways to skin a cat', i.e. failure can lead to opening alternative opportunities). If the player load spams under those circumstances, that's his choice.

Rake

Arcane
You're the idiot. :smug:
Tell me what aspects of New Vegas gameplay you found "fun"
Exploring, talking, fighting, hacking, sneaking, crafting. JSaw's balance improvements were very instrumental in this, just as his improvements to Heart of Winter were.
The shooting aspects were a joke. Not that i blame Josh for this, he was comfined by bethesda's crappy decisions and gameplay direction, and he improved on that. But that doesn't make it great gameplay. Josh fo me is a designer with good ideas but who he has never proved himself. P:E is the first system that he will crreate from the start, so i will judge him from that. But i don't hold New Vegas as the standard of good gameplay. More of the opposite.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The shooting aspects were a joke.
They were better than most other RPG-shooters, worse than some.
Josh fo me is a designer with good ideas but who he has never proved himself.
If a person only works with rulesets that others create, does that mean they will never prove themselves ever?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom