Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #4: Legacies and Cults

Koschey

Arcane
Six Legacies yields a lot of potential for reactivity and choices and consequences. But at this Stretch Goal, we take the system much further. Instead of depending only upon one Tide, your Legacy will be based upon your strongest TWO. This increases the number of Legacies to 11 (ten possible pairs, plus an eleventh for when no two reign supreme).

On rereading this update, I got to think: Wouldn't 16 Legacies be more sensible, so you don't lose the single Tide dependent ones? Consider for the sake of argument two PCs, A and B, where A's Legacy is 100 units in the Gold Tide, 10 in each remaining Tide, and B's Legacy is 100 units in the Silver Tide, 10 in each remaining Tide. As it stands now, neither A nor B has a dominant pair of Tides, so logically both would be assigned the unaligned Legacy. Yet it should be clear by the differences in their Tides that A and B wouldn't, or rather shouldn't, have the same Legacy.
Will there be some kind of mechanism to prevent these extreme cases or how will this be handled, ksaun or CMcC ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Such extreme cases would be rather temporary, I would think.

hiver

I cant see myself going exclusively for one Tide at all. It really depends on situations.
Ill probably, if quest solutions and choices allow it, be all over the place with more or less same number of "points" in at least four tides. Or at least three.

So... what happens in such a case?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think it would be pretty easy to have some kind of final test/question that breaks any ties near the end of the game.

Koschey

Arcane
Such extreme cases would be rather temporary, I would think.

That doesn't really change that they are possible. And of course the example was pretty simplified, but even in a more general case, where all but the dominant Tide are just around the same order of magnitude instead of exactly the same, the influence of the second-highest Tide would seem too negligible to be considered part of a dominant pair.

I cant see myself going exclusively for one Tide at all. It really depends on situations.
Ill probably, if quest solutions and choices allow it, be all over the place with more or less same number of "points" in at least four tides. Or at least three.

That seems to be a prime example for the unaligned Legacy I think.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
$2.5 million

BFLHtipCMAA97yO.jpg

hiver

But its not unaligned at all. And it isnt neutral in any way.

Its multi-aligned - actually.

Koschey

Arcane

But its not unaligned at all. And it isnt neutral in any way.

Its multi-aligned - actually.

Don't be too hung up on the term 'unaligned Legacy', that is just what I called it because it was simply called the eleventh Legacy in the update. But then again, the difference between one guy having all Tides around a value of 10 and another having all Tides around a value of 50 doesn't necessarily mean that the second guy is 5 times as much invested in each Tide as the first guy. It could just as well be that the second guy was 5 times as often forced into a decision between the Tides. Or perhaps the decisions of the second just had more gravitas. Yet both consistently chose equally distributed amongstall Tides.
The way I see it, the values for each Tide are merely an approximation of a characters 'true' alignment, because the concrete values heavily depend on how often a character had to decide between different Tides. The higher the cumulative value of all Tides, the more accurate the approximation is. What's actually important instead is the ratio of the Tides in relation to each other.

Of course, that's all just me guessing based on the information I have. That is why I asked my question in the first place.

hiver

Of course, that's all just me guessing based on the information I have. That is why I asked my question in the first place.
Sure. It would be nice to know.

Looking forward to more explanation about that system as well as the Castoff Labyrinth and how it is tied to the narrative and the setting.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Just one final question (decision) would be too simplistic. There will probably be some huge 'character defining' decisions during the course of the game, that have singificant impact on 'alignment' and if the tides and the choices are well implemented (in terms of consistence), a consistent character would probably have a preference that draws him towards one tide.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom