Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight III (formerly Torchlight Frontiers)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Torchlight3_Pets.jpg

Yep...
tenor.gif

Takamori

Learned
I played the beta for 3 hours and Steam was kind enough to refund me from this garbage.
Shallow as watery tart, its basically build some ranged dps or melee and thats it. The classes are pretty shit souless take of mage class, train autism , archer and the only one that felt inspired somehow is the robot that got sunk right away due to the simplicity of this shitty system. The gameplay is a slog, no I'm not asking for zoom zoom retarded ADHD PoE gameplay, but it was slow compared to Grim Dawn.
The rest is stolen ideas from preexisting ARPGs like hideouts and building them. If you are thinking about buying this piece of shit just don't do this to yourself, spend that money in some cheap hooker and get a blowjob with COVID rng.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
For anyone stupid enough to buy this, how bad is it?
Worked as a tester on it, wouldn't recommend. It's simplified, full of stupid ideas and poor execution.

Each area is classified into 1 type, fire, poison and lightning. Every other equipment is completely useless in those areas, specific resistance armors are an absolute must, you are basically making 3 seperate builds for 3 specialized zones, that's all. Incredibly stupid in execution and limits your playstyle beyond belief. Along with low number of skills and boring classes.

Ent

Savant
It sounds like the game kept a lot of the weird ideas from when it was still being developed as a live service title which is pretty disappointing because I was kinda looking forward to it.

Latelistener

Arcane
I believe we still don't know what the fuck happened with Runic, but apparently both studios that risen from the ruins aren't much on their own.

I had doubts about Torchlight without Travis Baldree, which is like Grimoire without Cleve, but on his own he also isn't doing so well. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw was pimped to Epic, has Mixed rating on Steam and is not selling well. Less than 200 reviews in a month. Now compare that to Hades. And think about the fact that the Freelancer niche is still vacant.

Max Schaefer should probably stop doing business with chinks and do something on his own. I expected from Echtra to deliver a new F2P game in grim dark settings similar to what Path of Exile was starting from, but they just came back to Torchlight. Very disappointing.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Why do I sometimes think of Mythos

I recall seeing the ads when I played HGL and was like "Wtf is this game?"

I couldn't find a link on the codex to chat about Eudemons Online (my search fu sucks). Its an old throwback advertised here at codex (these ads should be discussed if they are going to appear like wizard 101 etc).

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/torchlight-3-review/

TORCHLIGHT 3 REVIEW
Torchlight 3 gets the combat right, but many of its supporting features are lackluster.

Torchlight never wanted more than a little of your time. The first game arrived in 2009 during a relatively quiet period for action RPGs, and was praised for its clever class design, colorful dungeon crawls, and cock-eyed personality. This was three years away from Diablo 3, and four years from Path of Exile, so most of us were thrilled to annihilate legions of gremlins from an isometric perspective again. 11 years later, the franchise is back with a new developer and the same svelte design philosophy. Torchlight 3 remains a tight, low-stakes, click-heavy Diablo-like, but it doesn't quite have the same magnetic allure it did a decade ago.

Torchlight 3 does hit all the action RPG checkpoints. You will globetrot through the frigid peaks and dank swamps of this universe in search of glory. You will cast massive AOE burn spells to cut down the unrelenting legions of skeletons, goblins, and interdimensional beasties who emerge out of thin air to block your path. You will soak up thousands of different items, coded by rarity, which will inevitably prove to be attritious upgrades to the stuff you are currently wearing. And occasionally, you will stumble into a boss with a few more attacks than the average garden-variety enemy, which will unlock the progression to a new, higher level-gated arena of foes.

This is all executed adeptly. Torchlight 3 is nothing if not mechanically sound. But in 2020, there is a prosaic quality to its priorities that feels bland compared to the other options. More directly, it was about the 12th time in a row that I found myself delving into a cookie-cutter dungeon in order to finish yet another uninspired quest that I began to notice what was missing more than what was there.

Torchlight 3 takes place a century after the events of Torchlight 2, but the narrative is almost entirely ancillary to the core gameplay experience. There are a few cutscenes and audio recordings to find throughout the main quest, but specifics about the existential threat on the horizon are scarce. Instead, Torchlight gets by on the elements that have always been the franchise's strengths. The world of Novastraia radiates with a rich, playful aesthetic; the swirling riptides of the ocean, the rugged pastures of the outer forests, and the gleefully overworked Halloween trim of the graveyards do a great job at grounding the player in this frivolous, folkloric fantasyland. That attitude is carried over to Torchlight 3's class choices, which throw the D&D rulebook out the window. You can be a "Railmaster," a barbarian engineer who's followed around by a literal train, which can be augmented with different speciality cars that unload hell on anyone in your way. But I spent most of my time as a "Duskmage," who is saddled with a complicated magic system where you're constantly synergizing spells from both the "light" and "dark" schools, offering a surprisingly high skill ceiling for an ARPG that's always prioritized newcomers to the genre.

When Torchlight 3 gets rolling, the results can be spectacular. Every character chooses their own personal "relic," which are class-neutral, and offer a third skill tree to the player that uses a resource outside of their traditional mana or whatever. I chose the Electrode, which gave my Duskmage access to a torrid array of electric powers. My battles began with dark clouds crackling with purple lighting, indiscriminately buzzing through the hordes who were unlucky enough to be in front of me. If a good, old-fashioned dungeon-crawling power trip is what you're after, Torchlight 3 delivers that sensation in spades.

But unfortunately, the fundamental soundness of Torchlight 3's combat lacks the infrastructure to support it. If you scroll back into the archives, you'll learn that Torchlight 3 (then called Torchlight Frontiers) was announced as a free-to-play product. Publisher Perfect World Entertainment changed course earlier this year, making the game a "premium" full-priced piece of software, but the bones of its scrapped identity are everywhere. The story progression is laughably linear; I pick up a quest in town, it asks me to find a dungeon somewhere in a named region. I enter that dungeon, kill a boss, and go back to town to learn that I have a new quest that will grant access to the next named region. The spirit is missing. There are no oddballs to befriend on the road, or eccentric tasks to pick up off the bounty boards, and that leaves the game feeling hollow. Furthermore, there is a personal fort that you use as the basecamp for all your characters, but some of its systems seem downright incongruous with the game Torchlight 3 claims to be. For instance, I installed a smelting pit that allowed me to turn my raw ore into refined metal bars, but it's guarded behind an entirely unnecessary timer. (Want to smelt 25 units of iron? Wait 90 seconds.) That is the sort of system you'd expect to find in a predatory mobile game, and somehow, it's migrated over to a numbered Torchlight sequel.

There's a spark that's missing across the total Torchlight 3 package. Those regions I mentioned? The ones where you find the dungeons? They're pretty much wastelands outside of a few minor boss battles and a couple hovels of loot. The dungeons themselves? They're occasionally expressive, but I found myself in two near-identical spider caverns in the first hour of play. The combat is tight, but I also hit a number of substantial bugs along the way. My pet—a crucial fixture of the Torchlight franchise—just kinda disappeared a few times, hanging me out to dry. There is fun to be had here, but Torchlight 3 still feels like it's in early access. Probably because, in some ways, it's dealing with the growing pains of a mid-development pivot in scope. It isn't easy to make a retail RPG out of the scattered debris of a free-to-play quarter-eater. Perhaps Torchlight 3 will go down in history as a cautionary tale.

THE VERDICT

TORCHLIGHT 3
Torchlight 3 does a great job with its class design, but the world feels barren and unfinished.

Peachcurl

Cipher
It's better than Torchlight 1, but much worse than Torchlight 2 in nearly every possible way. What I do like is the way they designed interactions between different skills. But they should have added more legendary gear. They should have scrapped the pointless contracts. They should have scrapped the pointless player fort. And why the hell is there only a single vendor in town that is marginally relevant as a money sink? Why is there a 20k limit on gold you can collect? Why do I find stuff like "add a character slot to your account"? I'll stop there.

At least it's not as buggy as Wolcen was at release.

It's okay.
We all know the feeling of having waaaaaayyyyyyyy too much money and no real outlet since the virus got all the brothels locked down.

Innocent observation: They didn't lock the sheep away.

ADL

Prophet
ded
Hello Torchlight III Community,

This message is a bittersweet one. We are very excited about the Cursed Captain update, and everything it comes with. The Cursed Captain is an amazing new character class with awesome summoning skills, giant cannons salvaged from ships to blast enemies in the way, and a salty, ghostly personality to match. It’s really a lot of fun to play. We’ve also added a ton of new pets, including ferrets, two new types of dogs, stags, glittersprites, and more. There’s a new contract to play through, new wardrobes and fort props, and significant improvements to every character class. We’ve killed countless bugs, made several UI fixes and enhancements, and added lots of quality of life improvements. And very significantly, we’ve improved performance to a meaningful degree on every platform. In short, we feel like this puts Torchlight III in a good place.

But this is also a sad message because it marks the end of Echtra Games’ work on Torchlight III. As you may have heard in the news, we were acquired by Zynga back on March 2nd. As a result of this transition, we are moving on to new (and exciting) things, and we will be passing the baton back to our partners at Perfect World. We absolutely enjoyed our time with Torchlight III, and only hope for the best for the future of the franchise. We are grateful for the opportunity to have worked on it. But more than that, we owe a huge debt of gratitude to all of you who took this journey with us. We had ups and downs, but through it all, we learned so much, and a lot of that credit goes to all of you. Through thick and thin, you gave generously of your time, provided expert and valuable feedback, and made the trip enjoyable and worthwhile for all of us at Echtra. We hope you’ll keep tabs on us in the future, because we’re doing some incredibly exciting things that you’ll be very interested in. We look forward to seeing you on the other side, and will certainly keep tabs on Torchlight III. Thank you again for everything, we love you, we love Torchlight, and we will always cherish the memories!

Your Torchlight Captain,
Max Schaefer
https://www.torchlight3.com/en/news-article/11488893

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom