Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight 2 is a MASSIVE incline

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Since this is probably the official Torchlight 2 thread I want to join in, as I am quite interested in the game. I disliked the cartoony style, but after watching a lot of vids and commentaries I like it, dungeons look nice, and even the overworld. At least it doesn't pretend to be grimdark like Diablo 3 when it really isn't. It's good to have a "merry" arpg.

Are there random events in the game, like some small things that happen even if you play through the game 5 times, but you still see something new? So I registered my runic accout, but I don't have the option to go for the beta, as I didn't get any beta key. I disabled the newsletter, so maybe because of that?

Yes, I think you have to enable the newsletter -- they rarely sound one out, anyway. As far as random events. Sort of. Granted we only see the first Act in beta but there are a few tile sets in the overland with outdoor vignettes that can spawn randomly (some might be rarer than others). Examples include: a simple item fetch quest, rescue an npc, bandits sacking a wagon, an altar with a mini boss, etc.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
General Maxson

If you didn't get the email, log in their website and click on the big "Register your Torchlight II Beta Key", should take you to a page where you can see your key and download link.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Funny thing is this game is more grimdark than shitty my little pony style of Diablo 3.
Also there is no celshading.

Since this is probably the official Torchlight 2 thread I want to join in, as I am quite interested in the game. I disliked the cartoony style, but after watching a lot of vids and commentaries I like it, dungeons look nice, and even the overworld. At least it doesn't pretend to be grimdark like Diablo 3 when it really isn't. It's good to have a "merry" arpg.

Are there random events in the game, like some small things that happen even if you play through the game 5 times, but you still see something new? So I registered my runic accout, but I don't have the option to go for the beta, as I didn't get any beta key. I disabled the newsletter, so maybe because of that?

I've noticed only visual differences. But they are noticeable. Like f.e. when I started the game with one set of bros we simply ran through one map which was green and all.
When I started the game a second time with different bros - that map was different and it also had a burning village.

games skyway likes: those he can pirate

games skyway doesnt like: those he cant pirate, and everything else

Clearly that means that I like games like Fallout 3/New Vegas, Twitcher, Oblivion/Oblivion 2: Skyrim, Mass Effect
and hate ArmA

Dexter

Arcane
Diablo 3:

D3_whimsyshire_cuddle_bear_01.jpg

Torchlight 2:

Torchlight_2_096.jpg

True story.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I've noticed only visual differences. But they are noticeable. Like f.e. when I started the game with one set of bros we simply ran through one map which was green and all.
When I started the game a second time with different bros - that map was different and it also had a burning village.

That's just different parts of the map. The first area, 'The Steppes' is mostly green hills with some ruins and a few of the bear people huts/villages. The second major area is Frosted Hills which is snow and has the large burning village/bandit camp. The overall theme is the same per region it's just that the tile chunks are randomized.

Albers

Educated
I'm finding veteran p.easy. It doesn't seem like it scales to compensate for co-op. So a dungeon might be somewhat challenging on veteran if you're soloing, but with 1 or 2 other folks in there it's a breeze. And with enough heal pots you'll be fine. Or die and just respawn... no biggie.

And there doesn't seem to be much point to having half a dozen powers and spells. You pretty much just need one power and spam it over and over, drinking mana pots as needed. That and a weapon and you'll get through 20 levels. No need even for a 2nd spell or power, and that's on veteran. And when you do add another power or spell it's kinda the same damn thing as all the other powers your class has. Maybe it gets better at higher levels, but there's a serious lack of challenge and complexity in the beta.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I wasn't talking about Frosted Hills.

:retarded:

I'm finding veteran p.easy. It doesn't seem like it scales to compensate for co-op. So a dungeon might be somewhat challenging on veteran if you're soloing, but with 1 or 2 other folks in there it's a breeze. And with enough heal pots you'll be fine. Or die and just respawn... no biggie.

And there doesn't seem to be much point to having half a dozen powers and spells. You pretty much just need one power and spam it over and over, drinking mana pots as needed. That and a weapon and you'll get through 20 levels. No need even for a 2nd spell or power, and that's on veteran. And when you do add another power or spell it's kinda the same damn thing as all the other powers your class has. Maybe it gets better at higher levels, but there's a serious lack of challenge and complexity in the beta.

From what I've read the game does not, in fact, scale with more players which seems pretty odd to me. Trash on veteran isn't really hard. It only gets tricky/tedious when you get to General Grell and then beyond. But, yes, if you aren't playing on Hardcore you can simply just keep respawning and the boss health won't reset. As far as the talents go, it mostly depends on your class/build. It's possible to just spam one thing and a few of the talents are pretty lackluster but some are pretty interesting and combine well with others. The other day I was playing as a frost mage and was mixing the basic ice nuke with the AoE/map wide snare/debuff, the teleport/blink nuke, and the passive that freezes nearby enemies when you kill one.

But, again, trash is only a challenge on elite.

Black

Arcane
Torchlight is kewl, but this retarded pet-thing puts me off. They should add an option to disable them completely. I didn't give a shit about my pet in T1 and neither will I in T2.
Mandatory ranger pets is why ranger is a no-no in GW2.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The Outlander fill-up bar thingie is kinda boring compared to the others. But I guess it does its job.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The Outlander fill-up bar thingie is kinda boring compared to the others. But I guess it does its job.

Yeah it's like they ran out of ideas. Personally I think they should just ditch all of them. It's an okay concept and I get they wanted to add another facet to combat but they aren't that well developed.

aris

Arcane
For a guy that hasn't played torchlight 2, and neither (I'm pretty sure) Diablo 3, you are pretty quick to label incline and decline. It has nothing to do with growing your elitist codex-credit-indie-penis another centimeter, I'm sure.

You can even pick 4 stats which is zero times more than Diablo 3 - because when you multiply by zero you get zero.
Fail.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Skyway praising a game is about as frequent as Halley's Comet. Anyway, looks like you can acquire set gear from finding these rare scrolls:

2D5B271FCA21716F94ADE7D87A628C0D1C49CCE0

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Veteran is pretty easy to a point. Build an Engineer with a cannon and the one Cannon skill, dumped everything into the first tree passive that made it fire faster, and picked up the healing bot. Grell attempted to sodomise me, but I managed to pull through with life drain spell pot spam and kiting. Using one skill is bad form on my part. Act 2 was fairly easy enough, died at the end boss encounter a few times due to lolbloat+adds. Invested in the gunbot and shit went by much faster. At first I thought that the gunbot was broken, but then I realised my choice of cannon was gimping my dps, I have a level 14 Embermage and he tends to blow errything up.

One thing I found interesting was the skills you pump. As an Embermage I found it very beneficial to merely pump up focus, run with two wands (execute is kinda broken) and just nuke shit down. I dont know how Beserkers will go having to invest in multiple stats (Dex for Crit/Focus for execute?/Vitality for padding) havent checked its tree yet so it may have passives that deal with that issue. The charge idea is okay, but I found myself not using my charge with my derpy cannongineer but on my mage its just MOARDAKKA with mana regen so I rarely stop casting. I enjoyed TL1 so its more of the same for me, just with a bro here and there. It could use the added benefit of random scroll dungeons from the original though, just to spice up the scenery a bit.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So it's out? Or is this still preorder/beta impressions?

Damn. I may have to get this. This'll cut into my CKII time :(

Gord

Arcane

I have read that Diablo 3 has already been cracked.
No idea how they do it, but that's the word.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

[Citation needed]

I've no interest in D3, but by golly I'd pirate it just to tell my sheeple friends I'm playing it without the login queues they have to suffer through.

Where did you read it? Last I heard Skidrow was working on crack that will act as a server emulator and will enable SP. But I assumed it will take much more time.

Renegen

Arcane
From a graphical point of view, this looks more like WoW than ever. That gear screen hurts my eyes. Pass.

For true grimdark try Path of Exile.

Bruticis

Does anyone know if this puppy has any kind of region restrictions? I was able to host/join Sov's games but not Skyways. They both show up on my friends list, but I can't see skyways games nor can he see mine.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture

[Citation needed]

I've no interest in D3, but by golly I'd pirate it just to tell my sheeple friends I'm playing it without the login queues they have to suffer through.
You are the sheep just as much if you need to chime into every D3-related thread about how bad it is! You're just as bad as the sheep that buy it; except you're one of the sheep that keeps pointing out how bad it is.

You know that commercial on TV, where they all wear red shirts that say what makes them unique? It's an American commercial and they all say things like "I'm a Dreamer", or "I'm an Artist", or "I'm a Fighter". There's one chick that wears a black shirt that says "I'm a Rebel".

But she's still just as much a part of the crowd that tries nothing but to stick out so she can fit in with the people who stick out. It's human nature.

By calling your friends sheep you are just calling yourself one, or pointing out that the sun is rather far away.

It's not one bit better than me wasting no opportunity to deride The Witcher (what a terrible game).

My point?

I didn't have one, carry on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom