Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top 5 Best Diablo Clones

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So has any of you guys tried Loki?

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Divine Divinity is no Diablo-clone, despite the fact that combat sucks.

RPG-o-meter
[-- :? -------] Diablo
[------ :o ---] Divine Divinity

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Grandpa Gamer said:
Titan Quest is a very fine game. I've spent far too much time playing it, but I keep coming back, trying new character builds. And I absolutely love the design and the engine. It would have been my first choice of graphics engine for Fallout 3...
I second all of that. It has really nice graphics in its own way - it's the prettiest isometric game I've played.

dragonfk

Erudite
Elwro said:
So has any of you guys tried Loki?

I did and even though it had a promising start when I saw that EVERY piece of loot looks the same in specific level range I gave up. How on earth designers could think that making every armor look the same for levels 1-5; 6-10...infinity-infinity could be enterteining for a player I still do not know.

imanol

Novice
Sir_Brennus said:
I suggest:

1. Sacred
2. Titan Quest
3. Blade & Sword
4. Legend - Hand of God
5. Chosen - The Well of Souls

I tried the demo of Legend: Hand of God. Before 30 minutes had passed, I had my second BSOD-reboot. I uninstalled it soon after. Buggy games usually end in CTDs for me. Legend took it a step further and gave me a flash of blue screen then a reboot ... twice.

I wasn't really impressed with what I saw so I didn't bother to "make it work." It felt clunky.

Argosy

Novice
The SUCKIEST-DIABLO-CLONES list is more interesting IMHO

1. Nox

More like suckiest opinions, IMHO.

Saxon1974

Prophet
gunman said:
Divine Divinity is no Diablo-clone, despite the fact that combat sucks.

RPG-o-meter
[-- :? -------] Diablo
[------ :o ---] Divine Divinity

Yea I guess I would agree with that, its just the tons of clicky combat that groups it into this study.

I think the Combat and shee amount of it are the thing that keeps Divine Divinity from being an all time great.

made

Arcane
Grandpa Gamer said:
Titan Quest is a very fine game. I've spent far too much time playing it, but I keep coming back, trying new character builds. And I absolutely love the design and the engine.

Yea, figuring out new combinations of skills was the main draw of the game. That and the actually interesting loots - tons of sets and cool looking weapons. I always meant to replay it but then I installed this cheat that turned bosses into loot pinatas and never touched it since.

Xi

Arcane
Currently replaying this Diablo clone, it's called....... Diablo 2. Pretty solid action game.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Argosy said:

1. Nox

Nox is what they should have done in the first place. Diablo is a bad Nox clone.

Lemunde

Scholar
Argosy said:

1. Nox

Opinions are like assholes...

aleph

Arcane
DraQ said:
Does anyone remeber this hack and slash called Revenant? The only things I recall about it are some nice backgrounds and cool animations. I don't even remember if it was any good.

It started out good but after the first quarter it went downhill. But even so it is worth one play through if you have nothing better to do.

Aothan

Magister
Just to touch upon a few games mentioned:

Depths of Peril

Old School in a slightly newer format, if you think a lot of the original Diablo game's charm was lost in DII and dont place all or nothing emphasis on graphics (which are far from bad..just old schoolish) then download the DoP demo.

Loki

Depends how much you love hacky slash, treasure acquistion and skill progression. There is repeitive, then there is repetitive...and then there is Loki :) The graphics are weird but okay in their own way, background music can be exceptional, items are reasonably varied and visually appealing, skills can be quite neat but the repitition of levels and creatures is something else.

Between the bugs (all % based skill progression is wholly additive..) and incredibly monotonous repitition of levels/creatures the game underwhelms it's own quality.

But I would recommend it to myself at least. However for the time being my focus is on..

Titan Quest

This is probably the best recent example of how an excellent game can be forsaken by the masses. There are a few detractions, but overall the quality of this game, for the genre in question, is high. The dialogue, background detail, skill selections/game mechanics etc etc is all rather intricate.

With a little more support for online play (open character vault servers -_-) the game would not have been leeched of it's long term community appeal. But this was perhaps the weakest link, in the most vulnerable of areas.

If you cheat, use duped items and all that, well the game will suck in short order. But for those happy to slowly develop their characters, trade fairly and so on the game turns out to be a far more refined Diablo experience.

Personally, I just resumed after not playing for a whoile year. First time around I made the big mistake of diluting my character in two incredibly weak direction, it did not bother me too much but it did drag the game out a bit.

This time I have made two characters, a Stormcaller and a Defender and both are very playable with their own respective strengths and playstyles.

roshan

Arcane
PennyAnte said:
What brings D2 down in the end IMO is that no one character can smoothly solo all areas in a playthrough because of the situation with monster immunities at Hell difficulty (well maybe a Frenzy barb with socketed phase blades with elemental damage on a switch), so you are stuck making characters that only can run a few maps in any given series of maps.

Titan Quest, OTOH, has skills that reduce monster resistances so your builds can stay viable, even though highly resistant monsters still pose more of a challenge.

Very easy to solo hell difficulty with a paladin who has vengeance and that aura that reduces enemy resistances.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Divine Div is no Diablo clone.

Sure, combat is close to Diablo's and the overall look is reminiscent but it's more RPG than Diablo was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom