Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered from Aspyr - for real this time

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
For anyone bothered triggered by trigger warning here's solution:
Go to: \Tomb Raider I-III Remastered\1\TEXT
Then select your language and in that folder you find the file: COMMON.TXT
Line 139 & 140

couple of funny things about that warning: 1. it seems to show up only the first time you boot the game, in the other two times I've booted since then it has NOT shown up. 2. you can edit it to have it say whatever you want :)

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
how it started:
it's just a shield against the inevitable Kotaku and Polygon articles (written by freelancers who don't really believe what they're writing but need SEO cash) about how "Tomb Raider needs to confront its colonial past" or w/e.

how it's going:
These Tomb Raider remasters get off to a particularly inauspicious start. Before the game has even loaded, a self-flagellating splash screen informs you that the “depictions of people and cultures” in these games are “rooted in racial and ethnic prejudices,” which is “deeply harmful, inexcusable, and do not align with our values at Crystal Dynamics.” This does rather raise the question, if genuinely believed, then why are the studios putting such efforts into re-releasing these games? The message continues, “We have chosen to present it here in its original form in the hopes that we may acknowledge its harmful impact and learn from it.”
Oof. Yes, the reason that—when updating aspects of Tomb Raider such as the art, sound and controls—they felt it important to leave in the “harmful” and “inexcusable” prejudice is because they want you to jolly well learn your lesson. This is such a spectacularly disingenuous message, seemingly an attempt to gobble down the racist cake without either a) thinking better of it, or b) altering the content to better reflect these claimed values. I’ve checked, and none of the game’s marketing material mentions its woefully harmful content before you buy.

A cynic might surmise the developers don’t actually care at all, but thought this quick screen would cover their backs. Although—and let’s not mince words here—given Crystal Dynamics spent 2013 through 2018 making some of the most white-savior-promoting games in modern history, it’s hard to exactly pin down where these values lie. Yes, absolutely, flag up-front that the games feel dated and racist in their depictions of some cultures. But pretending that selling them unadjusted is a virtuous act on the developers’ part to offer us a vital and excoriating sociology lesson is gross and dishonest.
https://kotaku.com/tomb-raider-remastered-review-pc-lara-croft-1851250080

kangaxx

Arbiter
The optional modern controls are awful, but I'm not fussed because I was expecting to use the old tank controls anyway.

They've obviously put a reasonable effort into the visuals. No idea where "textures are better in the original" comes from. Knowing game journalists maybe they accidentally booted up the original and reviewed that?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
TR1 Cistern level
GGS9pQ0WAAA3J10
GGS9o8YXgAAWSib

Robber Baron

Savant
I think it's perfect and very faithfull, you can check/uncheck HD graphics on the go to see for yourself. There's no way to make it look better without sacrificing level geometry readability(FERNS MR FREEMAN FERNS) and maintaining the classic block to block gameplay
Last time I played original trilogy was like 20 years ago and while the games aged ok I am kinda spoiled by the custom campaigns/levels at this point
It's still the best way to play the original trilogy I think

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
No idea where "textures are better in the original" comes from. Knowing game journalists maybe they accidentally booted up the original and reviewed that?
I said the textures of the originals are better than the textures of the og graphics in the remaster (but I might be wrong about that). Not that the textures of the originals are better than the remastered textures.

kangaxx

Arbiter
No idea where "textures are better in the original" comes from. Knowing game journalists maybe they accidentally booted up the original and reviewed that?
I said the textures of the originals are better than the textures of the og graphics in the remaster (but I might be wrong about that). Not that the textures of the originals are better than the remastered textures.
Got it, I misread you.

Larson does look like a massive bender in the new graphics, I agree.

This is a nice trip down memory lane anyway. The old muscle memory is returning!

Lemming42

Arcane
The new visuals don't do it for me at all, they look like they were made as a joke to act as a cautionary tale on the dangers of half-assed AI textures. The way that walls and floors totally fail to blend into each other is truly outrageous. Then again, a lot of popular mods for other games do similar things (DREAM for Daggerfall being the most baffling; it's very popular but looks fucking horrid - also, those Doom and Heretic AI "upscales" where everything looks like insane vomit) so I guess it's a look people enjoy. New character models look like Sims. Actually laughed out loud at Larson. He looks like Handsome Squidward in eyeliner.

It's a bit of a shame because after the likes of the N Sane and Reignited trilogies for Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, it'd have been really nice to have had TR1-3 with a similar fresh look. Obviously tricky given that the world is necessarily made out of cubes with sharp edges but I'm sure there's a lot more they could have done.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
It seems they hired a lot of known artists in the Tomb raider fanbase. Including the guy who made the OpenLara (Opengl version of the original Tomb raider).

Overall, very good remasters but with some caveats. The only thing that truly sucks is that stupid initial disclaimer of CD virtue signaling for games they didn't make.

std::namespace

i like the original legs/calves more... im not even kidding
the sharp angles suggest muscles
while the new ones are straight from an early 3d render
n7xFaXi.png

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
i like the original legs/calves more... im not even kidding
the sharp angles suggest muscles
while the new ones are straight from an early 3d render
n7xFaXi.png

2nd one is Cankles version, I'm surprised they even let her have that much shape since every modern woman must be a fucking hamplanet to satisfy the mental illness quotient that is activist gayming.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Finding those rusty keys w/o switching to 1996 graphics is often impossible, and the camera likes to go nuts on me in tight spaces. Again, switching to 1996 graphics alleviates this issue slightly, as Lara's model seems slightly shorter than the remastered one. Also, I don't really see the modern control scheme as a great improvement over tank controls. But apart from all of that, the remaster is flawless.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
She looks like Anna Kendrick. Also, I'm getting a feeling it's going to be yet another remake of TR1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom