Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tomb Raider 2013

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hi frens, the nu-raider trilogy is on steam for like $15, worth picking up?
The first two games are fun videogame comfort food.

The third is one of the worst designed and worst written games I've ever played. It's p. much unbearable.

Ash

Arcane
Nu Tomb Raider is firmly in the automated school of retarded modern sellout game design. The semi-automated platforming, auto crouch, auto health regen, Lara vision to spot everything important for you, aim assist (can at least be disabled), objective markers, braindead "puzzles" that almost solve themselves. QTEs that enact everything for you while you merely press one button, with very lame execution. Probably more shit I am forgetting. Absolutely a low standards game.

Video game comfort food my ass. That's something like Mario Bros, peggle, tetris, some typical multiplayer shooter IDK. Not this garbage. Spans like 20 hours of this brainrot too. It offers nothing of substance.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Depends, if you have a limited game budget then I'd say no. The 2013 series games are pretty gash and I think they get worse as the series progresses.

If you have cash and are happy to take that kind of gamble, go for it. 15 quid isn't that much... just don't expect a great deal.

Ash

Arcane
Depends, if you have a limited game budget then I'd say no. The 2013 series games are pretty gash and I think they get worse as the series progresses.

If you have cash and are happy to take that kind of gamble, go for it. 15 quid isn't that much... just don't expect a great deal.

But why? There are literally hundreds of far superior games he could play. They don't necessary have to be ultra complex super hardcore gamer monocled classics. Just a genuine straightforward classic will do. I would never recommend this shit to anyone. Maybe a feminazi on a girl power trip, but I expect better from my fellow man. This game offers next to nothing.

Let's cover it:

Gameplay: it's bordering braindead, but has some cheap thrills. It will minimally engage in its combat, exploration and platforming, each component at the absolute baseline level (though above some other popamole at least). It should not suffice. If you like this shit you are a mediocre man.
Visuals: not bad, though...it's just an island with some wooden forts and not much else of interest. Graphically it is fine but wont blow your socks off, artistically...wow a rock! Wow another rock! Some grass! It's trying to emulate reality and that's fine (yuck), but in that regard is now redundant as the game is 13 years old (jesus, time flies). At best, you'll find a pretty vista, maybe a waterfall, or take morbid pleasure in a death animation simply because it is not something you see every day. At the end of the day the game is probably still pretty to look at, but that should not suffice either.
Story: "ludo-narrative dissonance" mixed with feminazi girl power, and otherwise nothing much of interest. Bland as fuck.
Music: What music?

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Yeah, you just don't play anything overly cinematic. There are very few games that did that right. Mostly old ones as usual.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, you just don't play anything overly cinematic.
That's like saying don't eat deep-fried donuts at all, they're very unhealthy.

It's correct, of course, but sometimes, just now and then, one really feels like having one of those. Nothing wrong with that.

Ash

Arcane
Never get the urge to play modern ones at least...but did you play old cinematic games? Resident Evil 2, Manhunt, Prince of Persia: SoT, GUN, Parasite Eve, The Punisher, Max Payne, Metal Gear Solid, as a handful of examples. Many listed here aren't that great, most third person cinematic games aren't, but they're more worthy than this.

The original Tomb Raiders are sometimes referred to as "cinematic platformers", and while they occasionally have some dramatic camera angles, cool FMVs and a cutscene here and there, that's about their only connection to cinema; they don't really qualify. And that's probably a good thing.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Apparently there's Definitive Edition of this game - base game+DLCs... and graphical changes
Definitive Edition changes:
- improved audio mixing
- wind particle effects
- more vegetation
- more shadows
- some new cubemaps reflections!
- the new face (eh?)
- updated TressFX implementation
- better godrays
- Lara herself is slightly brighter in the environment
- some slight texture changes
It's Microsoft Store exclusive btw

zfKcz6c.png

Freedos

Novice
It was on Xbox One and PS4 many years before. I never liked the new face. Anyway, graphics weren't a major problem of the game...more like bland or questionable mechanics, bad narrative, lack of confidence or trust in the player, tombs, lack of enemies variety...

Hell Swarm

Educated
The first two games are fun videogame comfort food.

The third is one of the worst designed and worst written games I've ever played. It's p. much unbearable.
I want to go back and play the first nu raider but it's so generic it's hard to say it's worth it. It was semi fresh at the time but now every game is Nu raider.
Apparently there's Definitive Edition of this game - base game+DLCs... and graphical changes
Definitive Edition changes:
- improved audio mixing
- wind particle effects
- more vegetation
- more shadows
- some new cubemaps reflections!
- the new face (eh?)
- updated TressFX implementation
- better godrays
- Lara herself is slightly brighter in the environment
- some slight texture changes
It's Microsoft Store exclusive btw

zfKcz6c.png

The new graphics look worse.. Makes a change from the GP version being out of date I suppose.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
While the nuTR topic is refreshed - anyone remember those DLCs for TR Underworld that were exclusive to Xbox360?
Lara’s Shadow and Beneath the Ashes

Someone made a repack of emulator (Xenia) and game with DLCs to be playable on PC.
Check the description.

Hell Swarm

Educated
While the nuTR topic is refreshed - anyone remember those DLCs for TR Underworld that were exclusive to Xbox360?

Someone made a repack of emulator (Xenia) and game with DLCs to be playable on PC.
Check the description.

Call me a fag but Xbox 360 emulation is basically the only good reason I can see to upgrade a PC at this point. If Xernia starts running stuff well there will be so many good games to dig into. The 360 was a gold mine of early indie titles, exclusive DLCs and AA quality shooters. It's one of the most annoying consoles to work with because it sounds so fucking noisy and emulation solves that.

Ash

Arcane
Call me a fag but Xbox 360 emulation is basically the only good reason I can see to upgrade a PC at this point. If Xernia starts running stuff well there will be so many good games to dig into. The 360 was a gold mine of early indie titles, exclusive DLCs and AA quality shooters. It's one of the most annoying consoles to work with because it sounds so fucking noisy and emulation solves that.
Fag.

What games though? I can think of ZERO reason to emulate the 360. Even the original Xbox arguably has a game or two worth the effort (Ninja Gaiden non-sigma version, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners non-bugged version). 360 though? What are we talking, Fable garbage? Kinect! Animal Adventures? Tragic shit like Tenchu Z? Alan fucking Woke? Maybe you know something I don't. Share this alleged gold.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Check the description.

Call me a fag but Xbox 360 emulation is basically the only good reason I can see to upgrade a PC at this point.

In the last decade emulation was no1 reason for upgrades for me.
Recently found out you can play Demon's Souls on PC. And they were right... but there were issues with brightness (too dark) - could not fix it in game, emu setup or via other softwares like GameCompanion. Or even my own monitor setup.
Still finished it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom