Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview ToEE queries and retorts at Greyhawk Chronicles

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil; Tim Cain; Troika Games

<b>Tim Cain</b> was <a href="http://www.rpgplanet.com/greyhawk/timcaininterview_sep.html">interviewed</a> by the chap at <A href="http://www.rpgplanet.com/greyhawk/">Greyhawk Chronicles</a>, who forgot to ask why the game was turn based - a requirement for anyone doing one of these about <a href="http://www.greyhawkgame.com">Temple of Elemental Evil</a>! Here's one question:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>2.) What "cool feature" do you miss the most and why? Do you have plans to include those features into a possible patch?</b>
<br>
<br>
I really wanted prestige classes in the game. Like many people, I make my characters with an idea in my head of how they end up, and prestige classes add more options for specializing my characters. I don't think that prestige classes could be patched in, but I certainly would plan to add them in a sequel.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
More options for a character is one thing, but when those options include horribly overpowered, munchkin faction classes, it might be a good idea not to add them.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="http://www.rpgplanet.com">RPGPlanet</a>.

Psilon

Erudite
Hey-hey-hey:
Tim Cain said:
We have a proposal out right now for a science-fiction CRPG. Very stylish, very different. Of course, it's all up to the publisher.

Assuming it gets the money, woo-hoo!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Mmm, stylish and different sci-fi rpg from Tim Cain....

Wow, I can do it all day :lol: :D

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Seems the Codex's God disagrees with you, Saint. :twisted:

Voss

Erudite
Are you really suggesting that he doesn't actually, and is lying to the interviewer for kicks?

Streching a bit, don't you think?

Besides, not all the prestige classes are over the top power-gaming munchkin crutches.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Are you saying he's lying to score points with the masses? LMAO Talk about defamation of character, or if you speak the truth; it shows what kind of business man Mr. Cain is.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Prestige classes are not *neccesarily* power-gaming munchkinism. In fact some do exactly what Tim suggests that they do - add variety to player types. Some are seriously overpowered and intended (it seems) to appeal to the power gamer, others I rather like. Dwarven Defender, Shadow Dancer, Blackguard can all be done properly and I think they do make for a richer gaming experience.
That said, Prestige Classes can also be abused if implemented poorly and when I PnP (something I have less and less chance to do nowadays - so hard to find a game) when DMing I tend to rebalance and tone down some of the more outlandish powers/perks.

And let me add my voice to the chorus - Troika making an original, stylish sci-fi RPG is news too good to be believed. Hopefully ToEE and V:tM will sell like mad and some publisher will give them the chance to make it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom