Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Todd Howard on the Oblivion Release

HardCode

Erudite
TH.gif

Venom

Scholar
Solik said:
Why are we suckers if we're having fun?
This is what I'm thinking about too. Critisism is fine by me, but judging the players is dumb.

Chefe

Erudite
Todd: "Yes! We've done it! We've corrupted even more of the world!"

Ken: "Everything is going as planned! Soon we will be the new princes of darkness!"

Todd and Ken: "MUAHAHAHAHA!"

Todd: "Pray tell, where is master?"

*Out on a golf course somewhere*

Odin: "So, any new officiators? I heard you've been a bit low ever since the old Hell's Demons guys repented."

Satan: "Yea, it's been tough back at home, but I'm testing a couple new dudes out. They're programmers."

Odin: "Finally getting with the 21st century, eh?"

*Odin laughs as he puts on his Ipod headphones. Satan gives a smug look, sighs, and drives the gold ball down the green. It's going to be a long day.*

Oarfish

Prophet
They can start concentrating on pissing on the fallout license once the coke and hookers run out. I'm looking forwards to the shitstorm that is going to start when the FO3 lying begins. Am I a bad person?

obediah

Erudite
Oarfish said:
They can start concentrating on pissing on the fallout license once the coke and hookers run out. I'm looking forwards to the shitstorm that is going to start when the FO3 lying begins. Am I a bad person?

Everytime someone says "Fallout 360 looks so awesome. This game will start a franchise" a bethesda suit earns a pitchfork.

denizsi

Arcane
Any word from the developers yet?

In a recent interview, Pete Hines said something about Fallout 3 being currently developed. This interview was a few weeks before the Oblivion release if I remember correct.

I also remembering seeing a similar statement by dev somewhere else. Either Pete again, or a dev said something like development of Fallout 3 is rocking. Nothing else.

TotS

Novice
Anybody else awaiting the "Go play Fallout if you don't like FO3" repartees of Bethesdas newly acquired fan mobs? :lol:

HardCode

Erudite
I predict Oblivion sales are going to be too low to cover the $25 million or whatever they spent on it ... and they have to forego (i.e. get funding pulled from) the Fallout 3 project. Then, the trademark holders give rights to Armagan, after he makes his first million, and a a great game is born.

FaranBrygo

Educated
No, they will make Oblivion cover the cost and more, much more. They spent all this time and money on a new engine, AI, chracter mapping system, rule set, etc. Why let it go to waste? Welcome to Fallout 3, 4, and 5.

Jason

chasing a bee
"Then, the trademark holders give rights to Armagan, after he makes his first million, and a a great game is born."

Why would you want someone who doesn't do stories or dialogue to do Fallout 3? Is mounted combat that important to you?

HardCode

Erudite
Its not that he doesn't do stories. It's that it seems this project (M&B) is to make a mod platform. Isn't that what Bethesda does after all? They use the CS to create Oblivion on the game engine. However, they are incompetant and full of shit. Armagan seems to know what he is doing. I wouldn't doubt that he CAN'T do a story, but working alone, he has to prioritize. His priority is the game engine and mod capability.

Levski 1912

Scholar
You know, with a decent budget, I think Armagan could pull off a very nice Falloutesque game.

Jason

chasing a bee
The guy made a decent mod platform and that makes him qualified to make another Fallout?
And all he needs is a decent budget, right? I guess that means Bioware would make the greatest Fallout of all time! They can make a decent mod platform and they have a godlike budget. I'm calling Gaider tonight to tell him the good news.

"I wouldn't doubt that he CAN'T do a story, but working alone, he has to prioritize."
Of course he can write a kickass story even though there's no evidence he can. He just doesn't feel like it right now.

You M&B fanboys are just as bad as the Beth fanboys (though not as gay or annoying, I'll admit).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Looks like Todd Howard is an illiterate dolt and has bad taste, then you wonder...

Rendelius: Please tell us who you are, what you do and about your career history.

Todd Howard: I'm Todd Howard, executive producer at Bethesda Softworks and I oversee the development of our Elder Scrolls titles. I've been at Bethesda since 1994 and have done other games also like Future Shock, SkyNET, Redguard, and NCAA Basketball.

Rendelius: Your favourite game, both electronical and board?

Todd Howard: Ultima 7 is my all time favorite video/computer game. It's the most realized fantasy world ever done given the time it came out. A masterpiece. Diplomacy is my favorite board game. Diplomacy can make bitter enemies out of best friends.

Rendelius: Your favourite movie and favourite actor & actress?

Todd Howard: "Raiders of the Lost Ark" has always been my favorite, as is Harrison Ford. I even named my dog Indiana. Though I think once "Return of the King" is done, the entire LOTR trilogy will be the greatest thing ever put to film.

Rendelius: Your favourite singer/band and record?

Todd Howard: I'm a Bruce Springsteen fanboy, and have a hard time deciding between "Darkness on the Edge of Town" and "The River".

Rendelius: If you could do any game, regardless of money and developing time, what would it be?

Todd Howard: We're starting a game here at Bethesda that is my ultimate game, so I can't say what it is yet.

Rendelius: If you'd be able to choose anyone from within the game industry to work on your dream project, who'd you put in your team?

Todd Howard: It's easy to say Sid Meier, Richard Garriott, and John Carmack, but if I had to pick a team, I'd pick the team we have at Bethesda. You have to have the right mix of people who have history together. That's how great games get made. Ken Rolston, our Lead Designer, is an absolute blast to work with. He's a one man amusement park.

Rendelius: What character from a game or role-playing setting best describes you?

Todd Howard: I like to think of myself as Conan, but have to admit that everyone calls me Frodo due to my bushy hair and immense stature [sic].

Rendelius: Your non-gaming hobbies?

Todd Howard: Love Notre Dame football, and football video games. I spend a great deal of time playing with my dog, Indy, and my newborn son, Luke.

Rendelius: Your favourite author and favourite book?

Todd Howard: I only read books with pictures of superheroes in them, so I'd have to go with "The Dark Knight Returns".

Rendelius: What historical person would you like to meet and why?

Todd Howard: I'd enjoy dinner with Jesus, Buddha, and Muhammad. Religious debate always makes for an exciting meal.

Rendelius: Thanks for your time!

7th Circle

Scholar
HardCode said:
I predict Oblivion sales are going to be too low to cover the $25 million or whatever they spent on it ...

On the basis of what? :?

Outside of ES forums and here, the general feeling on the web seems to be "while maybe overhyped a bit, this is a very well done game".

Don't let your hopes cloud your vision.

Chefe

Erudite
You know, with a steady supply of popsickles, I think my little sister could pull off a better Fallout game than Bethesda.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Does she like gladiator movies? No doubt Blackhart could provide the steady supply of popsickle.

roffle

Novice
HardCode... nice paintshop job, I see that you're finally stepping it up

Blahblah Talks

Arbiter

LlamaGod

Cipher
Chefe said:
Todd: "Yes! We've done it! We've corrupted even more of the world!"

Ken: "Everything is going as planned! Soon we will be the new princes of darkness!"

Todd and Ken: "MUAHAHAHAHA!"

Todd: "Pray tell, where is master?"

*Out on a golf course somewhere*

Odin: "So, any new officiators? I heard you've been a bit low ever since the old Hell's Demons guys repented."

Satan: "Yea, it's been tough back at home, but I'm testing a couple new dudes out. They're programmers."

Odin: "Finally getting with the 21st century, eh?"

*Odin laughs as he puts on his Ipod headphones. Satan gives a smug look, sighs, and drives the gold ball down the green. It's going to be a long day.*

When did Odin become evil? Are you British or something?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom