Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Todd Howard confirms improved cliff racers for Skyrim

A horse of course

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05 ... eddragons/

In a story that makes for one of the most double-take inducing headlines of 2011, Skyrim director Todd Howard last week told Norweigan outlet Gamer.no that Skyrim will have “an unlimited number of dragons”. You heard me right, people. Infinity dragons. If you were worrying about running out of dragons in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, well, don’t do that.

You can read parts one and two of the translated interview here and here. But wait! It gets better.

In PC Gamer’s own coverage of this news, they cooly added that the dragons will “be dynamically generated, and will be able to attack you almost anywhere.” Holy shit!

We’ll be facing off against infinity dragons who can attack from almost anywhere? Can they attack while we’re sleeping? While we’re talking to another NPC? In the main menu? Can they follow you onto the desktop after you’ve quit? What if they escape from the PC? I’m currently having some trouble with some of the fights in The Witcher 2, but Bethesda have put my difficulty woes in perspective.

Here’s a dragon I have a particularly fond memory of fighting. Thaxll’ssillyia from Baldur’s Gate 2. What a girl. But seriously, one of her was enough.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
If those generic POS dragons have even 1/100th of the awesomeness the BG2 dragons had, Bethesda will have inclined dramatically.

But of course they'll just be a dreadful grind and PHAT LEWT carriers.

Kraszu

Prophet
The genius of Bethesda design shine again, why make dragons a unique powerful beasts when you can spawn infinite amount of weak dragons at random places? More dragons = more fun right?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It'll get boring and tedious after the 5th one. You'll want to stab your eyes out after the 50th one. Yet, I'm sure all the Derpsters will praise this as a new innovative design choice which has never been done before and once again Bethesda treads on new grounds, pioneering new revolutionary design in the video game industry.

Eyeball

Arcane
Agree with the above sentiments. Managing to slay a dragon is the holy grail of fantasy storytelling - having tons of them flying all over the place and attacking you every five seconds cheapens them and makes the unavoidable final showdown with Ultrabadassmegadragon all the less interesting.

Can't they just have something else as a last boss, then, like a fucking huge frost giant (kinda like Dagon, but you get to fight it directly), or something

it's not like a rpg game MUST have a dragon as the most powerful creature. Personally, I'm still waiting for that Emperor Crab that M'aiq promised me.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Ed123 said:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/19/unlimiteddragons/

In a story that makes for one of the most double-take inducing headlines of 2011, Skyrim director Todd Howard last week told Norweigan outlet Gamer.no that Skyrim will have “an unlimited number of dragons”. You heard me right, people. Infinity dragons. If you were worrying about running out of dragons in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, well, don’t do that.

You can read parts one and two of the translated interview here and here. But wait! It gets better.

In PC Gamer’s own coverage of this news, they cooly added that the dragons will “be dynamically generated, and will be able to attack you almost anywhere.” Holy shit!

We’ll be facing off against infinity dragons who can attack from almost anywhere? Can they attack while we’re sleeping? While we’re talking to another NPC? In the main menu? Can they follow you onto the desktop after you’ve quit? What if they escape from the PC? I’m currently having some trouble with some of the fights in The Witcher 2, but Bethesda have put my difficulty woes in perspective.

Here’s a dragon I have a particularly fond memory of fighting. Thaxll’ssillyia from Baldur’s Gate 2. What a girl. But seriously, one of her was enough.

To avoid brain damage, I refuse to interpret that quote as anything other than dripping with sarcasm

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Clockwork Knight said:
Can't they just have something else as a last boss, then, like a fucking huge frost giant (kinda like Dagon, but you get to fight it directly), or something

it's not like a rpg game MUST have a dragon as the most powerful creature. Personally, I'm still waiting for that Emperor Crab that M'aiq promised me.

A Tarrasque?

But is the current technology able to handle such a big beast and the rain of blood and feces that will result of you slaying it? And the leveling of mountain ranges and the drying of oceans?

inbefore "it doesn't fit the lore"

Krraloth said:
Clockwork Knight said:

A Tarrasque?

But is the current technology able to handle such a big beast and the rain of blood and feces that will result of you slaying it? And the leveling of mountain ranges and the drying of oceans?

Someone at Bethesda just read this and forwarded it to Todd with the note: "Actually, we could fit this into lore if we just ignored X and rewrote Y".

Skyrim release delayed 3 months. But the Derp will be increased five fold. Was it worth it, Krraloth?

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Overweight Manatee said:
Krraloth said:
Clockwork Knight said:

A Tarrasque?

Someone at Bethesda just read this and forwarded it to Todd with the note: "Actually, we could fit this into lore if we just ignored X and rewrote Y".

Skyrim release delayed 3 months. But the Derp will be increased five fold. Was it worth it, Krraloth?

I don't know...it depends.

One way to see it would be if they reach the bottom maybe they crack and things would bring some :incline: after the epuration.

The other one...well, I would not be proud of myself, that's for sure.

Johannes

Arcane
Well you're a dragonborn, of course you can slay dragons! But at first you're not that strong so you only fight low level dragons. It makes perfect sense and it's cool, in the end game the random dragons will have so high level that it'll be really epic.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Has there been any actual footage of dragon combat (or combat in general for that matter) yet? Either they hired completely new animators or it'll just be plain bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom