Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

To End All Wars

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
header.jpg

So this WWI Ageod game is out. Anyone got any impressions of it so far?

Comte

It's AGEOD's Civil War 2 reskinned for World War I. The Trench system is silly it doesn't work properly. If an army marches to the sound of guns (MTSG) It abandons the trenches it built and they disappear. The only game I have seen that gets the trench system right for WWI is the board game Paths of Glory. It might be good after they patch it a bit but I think the AGEOD engine doesn't work for this particular conflict. Also I don't understand why they can't optimize their friggen games. It still only runs on one core. The rerelease of AGEODS World War 1 gold as World War 1 Centennial edition by another company fixed the lag issues that plague their games which they claim can't be fixed.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was tempted to pick it up because it's from AGEOD, but I'm holding off for the time being. I didn't want to dive head-first into a scenario the size of WW1, and I doubted the ability of the engine to enjoyably simulate the war.

I plan to buy it when it goes on sale, and am hoping for more AJE expansions.

Looks like shit.

AGE engine is not suited for WWI type of game unless heavily modified. And their previous games didnt modify the engine very much.

AGEOD new engine in general doesn't appeal to me. But what you said about TEAW is spot on.

I doubt we'll get a Gary Grisby style WW1 game but that model would be my favourite.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
This started as a mod for Revolution under Siege and was then elevated to a full game.
Tbh I never thought that real trench war would be possible with this engine, but the promises sounded hopeful. Now the cat is out of the bag and the engine really can't handle it.
Anyway, be glad that you can replay WWI even if it is not historic.

Burning Bridges

There is a patch incoming and if you want perfection it's a good idea to wait until the most glaring issues are fixed. That is for example (naval) superstacks and mtsg giving up trenches.

The game is great, but partly unfinished business. To play as Russia is already immense fun and the AI is not stupid but quite cautious. I bet 90% of you only tried the Western Entente and expected both Schlieffen plan and trench warfare to happen at the exact time. If they ever want such a switch from offensive to static warfare to happen they will need to introduce some kind of complete reset on the AI at a fixed date. It's not gonna happen by itself, it's a completely different strategy. First the AIs objective is to race to Paris then suddenly it is to form into a defensive line from Alsace Lorrain to the North Sea and hold it for 3 years, until Russia is defeated? This is not easy and I can understand that they have not yet found the solution. As it is the game plays exactly as I would expect it from a AGE title, the front stays fluid and it is fun, though ahistoric.

My biggest gripe so far is that there are no alternative start dates and that the war will normally be over after 1-2 years.

Renegen

Arcane
How can you guys play these AGEOD games that look like they came packaged with Win 3.1 they're so unoptimized.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't play them. I tried to play Rise of Prussia, but I wasn't able to find reinforcements I bought and they possibly deployed somewhere.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
BTW I found something interesting.

In one discussion I seen posters to talk how BOTH Russia and Hapsburg monarchy were hurt by loses in officer corpses. Basically they had excellent officers before war, and lost majority of them during first phases of war, and were not able to efficiently replace them which is one of reason for Hapspurk lackluster performance, and why Russia army performance deteriorated during war. (Of course that problem called Germans listened to Russia military communications didn't help anyone, not even Germans, because Russians had tendency to solve lack of expected supply delivery by starting offensive one weak early, or do similar weird shit.)

I wonder how the above can be even properly simulated.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
BTW I found something interesting.

In one discussion I seen posters to talk how BOTH Russia and Hapsburg monarchy were hurt by loses in officer corpses. Basically they had excellent officers before war, and lost majority of them during first phases of war, and were not able to efficiently replace them which is one of reason for Hapspurk lackluster performance, and why Russia army performance deteriorated during war. (Of course that problem called Germans listened to Russia military communications didn't help anyone, not even Germans, because Russians had tendency to solve lack of expected supply delivery by starting offensive one weak early, or do similar weird shit.)

I wonder how the above can be even properly simulated.

1914 was a fucking disaster for the HerpsDerpsBurg and Russia alike. I think what you're refering to was the Siege of Przemysl, where most A-H officers were captured and sent to Siberian POW camps to die a horrible death. That's why the German high command de facto took over A-H fighting forces.

Burning Bridges

It's a great game, if you invest the time and willing to look over some strategical inaccuracies (trench warfare). This one somewhat slipped under the radar because we all wait for fixes to trench warfare. The last time I played it was like WW1 with napoleonic tactics, otherwise it was fantastic. I have then put it aside for a year or so, but the day will come, and then I will finish a tcancer review, promise. These games are always great for example in December when you may have a week or two in one piece.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The last time I played it was like WW1 with napoleonic tactics

That was what happened during the first phase of the war. Once they all started digging in it quickly ended. So far it's still waiting for a game to become THE game about WW1. Still, if you're looking to scratch that trench foot itch you can go worse than with Commander: The Great War. It's very light and PG-ish but also accurately portrays the attrition and difficulties of the massive theatre it was fought in. Not to mention that it is good fun.

Burning Bridges

I have no problem with it anyway. I was not expecting that the game automatically leads into a trench deadlock, as many people seem to have set in their mind.
On the other hand it makes the game more interesting to have this possibility.

doggfookker

Educated
I had heard that AGEOD's old WWI game, WWI Gold or whatever-the-hell was shit. Did they change a lot for this one?

Is there minimal trench deadlock, or will it still happen eventually?

I really want to get my god damn First World War fix, but Commander: the Great War looked too abstracted for me.

Burning Bridges

When AGEOD was still self publishing, they made the mistake of publishing WW1 Gold for some loser. That's about all in terms of relationship between the two games. And that the Guns of August mod that TAW started as used some textures from the final version of the old game, which were quite decent.
But now that they made their own proper WW1 game., it will haunt them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom