Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Tiny Knights of the Chalice Tidbit

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Knights of the Chalice

<p>Well, this isn't much in terms of news but it is a <a href="http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&amp;t=290" target="_blank">tiny bit of worthwhile information though</a>, especially considering the fact that we had only 7 KotC newsitems so far, a sure sign of these dire times we live in, and herewith the KotC newsitem postcount has been increased by one.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Well I haven't finished the spell lists for the Druid, Wizard and Cleric. Otherwise I've got the design for Fighter, Monk, Barbarian, Bard, Death Knight, Paladin, Ranger, Assassin, Psychic Warrior and Psionicist. To this list we can add a Sorcerer that would just be a combination of Wizard and Cleric. Once I'm done with the spell lists, I'll have to make web pages for each class.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>You see? <strong>Knights of the Chalice 2</strong> will have more than just 3 classes, party building goodness awaits.</p>
<p>You may now proceed to discuss how awesome that's going to be.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&amp;t=290">Heroic Fantasy Games</a></p>

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
shame he decided to go with static renditions rather than goofy-but-animated character/monster models.

this newspost, however, is a big :incline: . a more sophisticated party creation was the thing KoTC suffered from the most. an even slightly better story + module editor and it'll be GOTY material.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
The graphics whore inside me is wondering if he'll use a different engine.

visions

Arcane
Death Knight? Interesting, seems to suggest that the player's party does not have to be good anymore...

Castanova

Prophet
I hope all these new classes don't water down the quality. I kinda wish he would stick with the original game's graphical style, too. I grew to enjoy it. Still, I'm hoping this game will be awesome.

Luzur

Good Sir
hoverdog said:
shame he decided to go with static renditions rather than goofy-but-animated character/monster models.

this newspost, however, is a big :incline: . a more sophisticated party creation was the thing KoTC suffered from the most. an even slightly better story + module editor and it'll be GOTY material.

if we are lucky that part will be moddable.

deuxhero

Arcane
Now will it have graphics that don't make my head reflexively try to sit on its side?

Seriously, KoTC's graphics were painfully bad (at least in the demo), even large square for a character and green colored squares for trees would be an improvement, at least then they would line up right.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sounds fucking awesome, I wasn't expecting that many new classes.

Volrath said:
Yeah, entirely new engine. He's shooting for 1024x768 with near-ToEE-quality tiles. But at the expense of animations. How it goes.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Volrath said:

Yeah, I'm sorry to say I agree. The proposed changes so far are awesome - but holy crap there has to be a better engine than the god awfull shite of the last game.

Vogel's games are extreme next-gen by comparison. Hmm, I wonder if Jeff would consider licencing....

Otherwise, KoTC is the best indie game of the last decade and (assuming we don't see AoD till the 2020's), KoTC2 is shaping up to be the best of this decade. :incline:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
AlaCarcuss said:
Volrath said:

Yeah, I'm sorry to say I agree. The proposed changes so far are awesome - but holy crap there has to be a better engine than the god awfull shite of the last game.

Vogel's games are extreme next-gen by comparison. Hmm, I wonder if Jeff would consider licencing....
It's probably a matter of tastes, but I consider KoTC graphics to be better than Vogel's. From a clearly technical point of view it's surely the contrary, but despite clunkiness, low res and crappy style, KoTC wins because of one thing: animations. Both Geneforge and Avernum for me seem to be completely devoid of life. Characters do not walk, they teleport from one square to another. Nothing ever happens. Even more recently added flickering torches aren't helping. KoTC may be ugly, but at least it flows.

1eyedking

Erudite
Still no Thief class. Scouting, sneaking, stealing, trap disarming & lockpicking are so last gen.

commie said:
I hope they'll make a game this time to go with the combat.
Also, this.

hoverdog said:
It's probably a matter of tastes, but I consider KoTC graphics to be better than Vogel's. From a clearly technical point of view it's surely the contrary, but despite clunkiness, low res and crappy style, KoTC wins because of one thing: animations. Both Geneforge and Avernum for me seem to be completely devoid of life. Characters do not walk, they teleport from one square to another. Nothing ever happens. Even more recently added flickering torches aren't helping. KoTC may be ugly, but at least it flows.
Don't forget Elfwood portraits. That alone kills any respect any reasonably demanding person would've had for the games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom