Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tintin Reporter - Cigars of the Pharaoh

Häyhä

Arbiter
Any Tintin game should be 2D and in the style of Hergé's artwork. It's downright criminal that there hasn't been a proper point-and-click game like that.

There were a couple of Tintin platformers back in the day for Super Nintendo/Sega Mega Drive, that look decent graphically but the gameplay looks like pretty typical (bad) platforming of the era.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
Tintin is shown doing his job as a reporter ? That feels weird.

"Cigars of the Pharaoh" is not a terrible choice for an adaptation. It has plenty of action and the plot is better than in the previous stories. It doesn't feature Haddock and Tournesol (Calculus), but the Dupondt (Thomson and Thompson) play a significant role (they're actually half-competent in this one).

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Steam reviews are mixed(65%) right now,they basically say what the developers say in their statement, it's an uplayable buggy mess and you should wait until the patches are out.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's just comical that the apology letter has become a thing by now. Why they gotta do my man Tintin like that?

Putting on watchlist regardless.

Strig

Learned
Any Tintin game should be 2D and in the style of Hergé's artwork. It's downright criminal that there hasn't been a proper point-and-click game like that.

There were a couple of Tintin platformers back in the day for Super Nintendo/Sega Mega Drive, that look decent graphically but the gameplay looks like pretty typical (bad) platforming of the era.

From what gameplay I've seen Cigars of the Pharaoh is basically the same formula, only done with modern(ish) tech. I really wish someone would make a proper adventure game about Tintin, there is so much to adapt, the style is instantly recognisable and the whole thing is just so wholesome. It definitely shouldn't be in 3D, ligne claire is almost synonymous with Herge and Tintin. Why should anyone settle for mediocre 3D? I also couldn't help but notice how bland the voice acting is in this thing. Tintin sounds bored out of his skull. The fact that it's a hot mess technically is only rubbing salt into the wound and feels like this:

8387a613c927acdd0fbdff6b8aab343578c10ede.jpg

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Steam reviews are mixed(65%) right now,they basically say what the developers say in their statement, it's an uplayable buggy mess and you should wait until the patches are out.
Hah, so people are paying to playtest their game? Kind of a dick move, to release the game in this state, but I guess it is working?

toughasnails

Strig
You played Sable? I think it adapted (Moebius') ligne claire drawing into 3D rather well whilst being a work of only two lads. Such cell shaded 3D could work for Hergé's art as well.

Strig

Learned
Strig
You played Sable? I think it adapted (Moebius') ligne claire drawing into 3D rather well whilst being a work of only two lads. Such cell shaded 3D could work for Hergé's art as well.
I know of it, but haven't played it. I was quite impressed with how they handled the outlines in 3D, from a distance everything looks quite gorgeous. What turned me off was the shading, it's wonky and off-putting. Sable looks much better in stills than in motion. I think it would actually be a great way to render backgrounds for an adventure game and then do some overpainting. Maybe even create all the character animations in 3D and then shade the rendered frames manually.

:Flash:

Arcane
The game and movie adaptation are probably the only ways the heirs can squeeze more money out of the Tintin IP.
Hergé wrote in his Testament that Tintin should not be continued by anybody after his death. Which is why there have been no new albums since then. Probably also the reason the Spielberg movie and this game have the same stories that already exist in the albums. But because he didn't write "also no silly 3D computer games", they reckon they can make money that way.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
The game and movie adaptation are probably the only ways the heirs can squeeze more money out of the Tintin IP.
Hergé wrote in his Testament that Tintin should not be continued by anybody after his death. Which is why there have been no new albums since then. Probably also the reason the Spielberg movie and this game have the same stories that already exist in the albums. But because he didn't write "also no silly 3D computer games", they reckon they can make money that way.
Based Hergé tbh, if he hadn’t done this disney would have bought tintin by now and made it into a cinematic universe, complete with a host of changes to adapt it for the modern audience such as making tintin and haddock gay for each other, the dupont twins too.

And of course every new piece of media would have a disclaimer about how hervé had problematic views no longer fashionable, etc along with reedits of classic drawings to be less racist and offensive.
Oh and all the albums set in china or presenting historical or geographical facts the ccp doesnt like would have to be memory holed, sorry chang.

Recent reviews: Mostly Negative (21)
All reviews: Mixed (107)

Already ruined by inappropriate graphics, but completely devastated by bugs and crashes. From the Steam discussions page, it is now possible to complete the game but it still crashes often and some bugs require reloading.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Tintin games have no future except escaping the grasp of Moulinsart (copyright holders) and being given to a point and click developer.

Charles Cecil could handle it

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
cant believe tintin still sells in this age of brainless zoomers who never picked up a book or comic

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom