Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Time to Conquer the Cold: Wasteland 3 Fig Campaign is Live

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hey, guys, give us money on pre orders and we will totally show you how Watch Dogs will look like.

It worked for Ubisoft.

Sacibengala

Prophet
The only thing I want to know right now is if the world will be seemless for the cars to explore or if it will be the regular trailed paths that we are used to in rpgs.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
After exactly 24 hours, the Figstarter has taken in $500,442 in pledges. By comparison, WL2 made 470k on the calendar day of its launch (i.e. in less than 24 hours), Torment made 1,488k and BT4 made 706k.

After 48 hours, they're at 590,633.

DeepOcean

Arcane
So, a) alot of non-investor people hate Fig, b) People are fed up with crowdfunding, c)People are fed up with Fargo, d)People are cynical towards Wasteland 3: Multiplayer XCOM edition. Which of the options is true?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So, a) alot of non-investor people hate Fig, b) People are fed up with crowdfunding, c)People are fed up with Fargo, d)People are cynical towards Wasteland 3: Multiplayer XCOM edition. Which of the options is true?
All of them, also one you didn't list... Wasteland 2 was shit, and people have little interest in seeing a sequel.

Weasel
Also that thing with running a 4th campaign having only delivered one game so far. It's a far cry from the "help us break free of evil publishers and make oldschool games again" heyday of 2012.

DeepOcean

Arcane
All of them, also one you didn't list... Wasteland 2 was shit, and people have little interest in seeing a sequel.
Pretty good reason I forgot, thank Lord Fargo is fixing that by adding multiplayer and cinematic visceral action.

Rev

Arcane
Damn, I just wish I could rate post so that I could brofist/agree every post made by Kem0sabe, Zorba and Excidium in inXile threads. Goddamn newfag status.

Btw, I don't think they would raise much more (from the backers, I mean) if they were on KS. Bard's Tale 4 showed us that people were already not so eager to throw their money at Fargo even then, and that was before inXile had delayed yet again TToN, announced console versions and simultaneous release, made a deal with a publisher despite the fact that they pictured them as the evil force in the gaming industry in all their previous pitches and interviews, and began dumbing down the game (like the recently announced combat hints).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I think that changing the platform had the strongest effect. I backed a number of projects on KS but I'm not planning on signing up with Indiegogo or Fig. Especially Fig. So it's kinda like Steam, I'm guessing. Each platform has its own userbase and KS is by far the biggest. You switch to another platform and you get a much smaller userbase. I assume they thought that investors would make up for the difference.

Also that thing with running a 4th campaign having only delivered one game so far. It's a far cry from the "help us break free of evil publishers and make oldschool games again" heyday of 2012.
I don't think that's a factor at all.

Darkzone

Arcane
Yeah he shouldn't listen to this shit robot and he should have waited a half a year till T:ToN is out.

Pretty good reason I forgot, thank Lord Fargo is fixing that by adding multiplayer and cinematic visceral action.
I dont mind the cinematics, but the multiplayer could be a very bad decision. And since WL2 was so great, then WL3 will be even better with co-op.

I'm an example of someone who doesn't want a 4th campaign without at least 2 delivered products and one in the production phase.

Rev

Arcane
How can that not be a factor? At the very least, people will not be encouraged to give their money again to a company who hasn't finished the games they promised and prefers to launch new campaigns and ask for more funds, instead.

Last edited:

Fry

Arcane
Meanwhile, it's 97% funded after 2 days.

Give Fargo and Fig credit, they understood the reality of crowd funding fatigue and invented a workaround.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I'm an example of someone who doesn't want a 4th campaign without at least 2 delivered products and one in the production phase.
We all have our preferences but I doubt that yours represent a significant %. The main question is why the vast majority of people backed WL2 and Torment (or why KS has become such a successful new thing in the first place). It's not a form of traditional investment with reason, accountability, and due diligence. It's because it's an exciting thing to do for most KS members and Fargo does a good job entertaining them with his videos. They don't do it to help him out, they do it because it's "fun" and they want to be part of it.

Blackstaff

Arbiter
Meanwhile, it's 97% funded after 2 days.

Give Fargo and Fig credit, they understood the reality of crowd funding fatigue and invented a workaround.

That's not much of a workaround. That's called investment and it exists for a long time now. If there are any merits in that, it needs to be given to US laws for allowing that kind of investments.

Also I don't think that Fargo and co are very happy with the results. The plan for them was always to keep their free part (the KS one) and to add to that private investments. If the KS part goes belly up, it's not doing great at all.

Fry

Arcane
They're the first to stick it into a functioning game crowd funding platform so, yes, they deserve some credit. Remember... they don't have to give up a chunk of the company or their IP. That's hugely different from what "normal" investors expect.

I think they're quite happy with it as is. As to how happy, well... let's see what happens after they hit the investment cap.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now with Paypal I am about ready to pledge... is there going to be a Codex fundraiser or not?
And yeah Fargo must be very disappointed that his project is almost funded after 3 days
So much for KS fatigue, lost faith in crowdfunding, delayed projects etc
The man knows how to work it guys and the way things look they will probably make easily another mil
That would be enough to fund the game withhout the investment part

Blackstaff

Arbiter
They're the first to stick it into a functioning game crowd funding platform so, yes, they deserve some credit. Remember... they don't have to give up a chunk of the company or their IP. That's hugely different from what "normal" investors expect.

I think they're quite happy with it as is. As to how happy, well... let's see what happens after they hit the investment cap.

We need a game out and several years of return to see if it's functionning. I'm in doubt. And investment deals have a lot of possibilities. You don't always have to sell your IP. In fact, if they don't have to surrender everything to an investor, is in the first place because of the KS crowd. A KS crowd that seems to have decided to not follow them on FIG.

Fry

Arcane
Registering for Fig takes 5 mins, and the terms are the same as Kickstarter for regular backers. I don't buy the idea that this is a real barrier for people who actually want to back the game.

We've seen a steady decline in crowd funding revenue over time. Couple that with general dissatisfaction over the quality of WL2, release date delays, grumpiness over InXile's early access policies, and their having only released one game out of 4 campaigns. Personally, I think most people have just arrived at the conclusion that there isn't much reason to crowd fund.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Did you back it, Vault Dweller? You gave a very favorable review of WL2
I might have if they were on KS but multiplayer isn't my cup of tea, so I'd wait for some design updates first to make sure there is more to it than vehicles and multiplayer. The Stasis guys' art is fucking brilliant, so if they remain involved and design the locations, that'd be a strong selling point.

Registering for Fig takes 5 mins, and the terms are the same as Kickstarter for regular backers. I don't buy the idea that this is a real barrier for people who actually want to back the game.
Convenience is always a factor. The userbase NEVER fully migrates to other platforms. At best you get 20-30% (a lot less if we take Steam as an example). KS is an established community not just a platform to give money.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Also I don't think that Fargo and co are very happy with the results. The plan for them was always to keep their free part (the KS one) and to add to that private investments. If the KS part goes belly up, it's not doing great at all.
That's probably not true. If Fargo and Co wouldn't care about the investment part and only cared about the pledges, chances are they wouldn't have established Fig. Fargo is a business man, I'm sure he knew that all of their backers won't migrate to this knew platform. The sole existence of fig means that they want the investments of rich people and they reached this with flying colors. They are getting funded in a few hours. And seeing that the pledges are only at 600K, it means they did great with Fig. Even though KS is more popular, they would have only gotten around 700K on it by this time. With FIG, they are funded. I'm sure they are happy with this and they will collect more money this way than they would have on KS.

Last edited:

ColCol

Arcane
Meh. If styg is behind combat and other aspects (Undderrail with a party!) that would be a big draw for me . Yet, Wasteland 2 was so glitch-y and poorly optimized that I have not had a chance to play it properly yet. So no backing for me.

Weasel
Obviously none of us knows what their actual expectations are but my guess is, like BT, they will end up with less than they hoped for and put a brave face on it. Investments have to be repaid too, so it's not really a straight 1-to-1 comparison between KS and FIG.

Still think if they had confidence in Torment's quality they could have done this after it released, while the hype was on. After all, it's years until WL3 comes out and with WL2 "selling well" one would have thought they could meet payroll until the Torment consolisation was complete.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom