Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tim Cain wtf dood.

vrok

Liturgist
Helton said:
Or, you know, we could just not play them.
So your final answer is "too advanced"? Noted.

It's not as if I made the post to make people here play MMO's. I couldn't care less about what would most likely be female elven RP fruities. I was just calling bullshit on the blatant retardation floating around in here.

Zomg

Arbiter
If the parade of the abhorrent and butthurt you run into in non-guild play of an MMO isn't concentrated enough, you can join a guild and just jam a needle full of butthurt irritation straight into your carotid. That way you can never go a second without having the kind of person that plays MMOs whining about something in your ear, which I think is the textbook definition of fun.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
MMOs in it's current form are just disgusting. Joining guilds and stuff....meh. I'm more curious about Crossplayer, a game that is mostly structured like a singleplayer mission, but replaces the AI with actual players. I'm also curious how Bioware's "We want to tell teh best stories" MMO will be like.

sheek

Arbiter
DarkSign said:
Garriott's Tabula Rasa is a complete failure. He's proven that he's not the MMO genius everyone thought he was.

MMOs have the ability not to suck. It's just that developers have been pressured by publishers to make them suck. Such a huge amount of money is a big risk if you try to be daring. Your average reader of the Codex knows that having a responsive storyline with choices and consequences isnt daring - it's essential - but all they see is much more much more development cost.

Nothing in the nature of MMOs hardcodes suckage into it. Just because there are lots of players doesnt mean quests cant have choices and consequences. It just means it costs more to do it.
How does it cost more? What is expensive?

I'd have thought the main expenses designing an MMO are bandwidth, servers etc. Which you only need if you have a massive number of players....

Why do you need a large number of players? To make a profit for yourself and your investors?

Speaking as a player I don't see a problem of fewer PCs but with a much tougher screening process (which itself can't cost very much). Good players will create the world, create the atmosphere and the quests and plots.

Actually it's idea of MMO as in a 'virtual world' sucks, but I am not against the idea of multiplayer roleplaying at all. Just, my idea would be a system like NWN was originally supposed to be - an engine capable of building environments that a human GM can control all aspects of. Don't need any big company to create the roleplaying environment, just provide the basic environments, props etc. A GM creates a campaign, done in weekly sessions, with semi-programmed NPCs and a few unique settings (which can be modified or added on the fly), and invites a half dozen friends to be the players - just like tabletop but computer assisted dice rolls, accurate spatial representation (one of the difficulties of PnP) and done over the internet.

Alternatively, if that's too much work, OpenRPG is the answer, though admittedly not for grafix whores. Never got around to trying it for real, made a few applications but it seems planned campaigns often are abandoned before or shortly after they start.

Helton

Arcane
vrok said:
So your final answer is "too advanced"? Noted.

You might also like to note that I find clotheslines too advanced and instead use a drying machine even when the electric bill seems obscene.

Cassidy

Arcane
cardtrick said:
Delirious Nomad said:
but letting Tim work for an MMO is like using a Ferrari for safari.

Except that using a Ferrari for safari would be totally badass.

It's more like using a Ferrari engine in a crappy, malfunctioned, misfit and wrecked out beetle

Besides some great NWN PWs and those softwares like OpenRPG, multiplayer CRPG = Shit

How about finding friends to play with and form one of these amazingly innovative things called a guild where you only invite like minded people? Or is that too advanced? Whining about simplistic game mechanics is one thing, whining about other players is stupid.

I'll bite this flamebait for fun! And I needed an really idiotic MMO apologist post like that one to make a rant on MMORPGs anyway because I have reasons to hate that genre.

What's the point of making a roleplaying focused guild where you can't get past the minimum number of members to keep it alive because driving a nail with a wrecking ball is easier than to find real roleplayers in most MMORPGs servers? And why the fuck would I limit my roleplaying to using a chat box because the game is a piece of shit designed for retard level treadmilling and PKing junkies with dumb FedEx quests, CTRL-C + CTRL+V dungeons, which game mechanics offer no tingle of support for real roleplayers? And how can I completely ignore all the "LOLZ", "WTB 1337 Sw0rdz!" and discussions about whether Wii or Xbox 360 is the better console reeking around like the fumes of fetid sewers? Why do I need to spend HOURS doing a repetitive and fucking boring action of clicking with a mouse at a monster like a retarded automaton to raise a character from level 1 to 2instead of doing the same by talking with NPCs and other people PCs(Somebody could code something for that, I'm sure, and for the following example as well) and doing some 100% dynamic quests for PCs or player guilds with serious roleplaying that have control of a part of the world with real choices and consequences instead of talking with NPC dumbfucks that ask "100000000000000 rat tails" from my PC?

And before somebody asks: I played some shitty free MMO"RP"Gs already and expect nothing but "MOAR BLOOOM" from the paid ones. And I did a fucking guild in one of them(that supposedly had more roleplaying than usual MMOs, which is pure bullshit) inspired by the "Revolutionary League" of Sigil in PS:T(having cells as organizational basis, etc.) only to see it almost torn apart by some assholes while the "1337 Guild" with acceptable names to cover their nature were left untouched by the same types and instead, they were damn loved and popular, having hundreds of members while I clinged convincing the few members to no give up the game. Plus, I witnessed a bunch of corrupt GMs aiding their E-"friends" as reward for E-bootlicking and many other unpleasant examples of how degenerate such communities can be. Jerks did and level alts just to annoy and PK others and get unpunished, and the list goes on. While all I watched was seeing the few roleplayers that were there giving up on the fucking game and 70% of my guild members were among those who gave up until it shrunk to only my own PC and 2 others from 2 other players. And then I got sick of it and completely gave up on MMORPGs since then.

Yes I admit, making a guild that will turn upside down a whole community from a bunch of assholes, GM suckups and 1337 kids to one of real roleplayers is too advanced for me! Why don't you try it yourself? I'm waiting! Go there and turn WoW or any free MMORPG community through your guild so it becomes a Massive ROLEPLAYING game! What are you waiting for? DO IT!

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Cassidy said:
I hates my life.!

Seriously, MMOs right now are either cooperative single player games (EQ, WoW) or an RPG version of Planetside. (L2, Shadowbane) If MMOs had followed UO's step in creating player-run dynamic worlds, it might have actually been an interesting genre.

Saying all MMOs are bad after playing a few free ones is like playing a crappy rogue-like and saying all RPGs suck.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
I think most of you old-uo'ers who liked the pre-trammel era should give eve-online a try.

vrok

Liturgist
Cassidy said:
Yes I admit, making a guild that will turn upside down a whole community from a bunch of assholes, GM suckups and 1337 kids to one of real roleplayers is too advanced for me! Why don't you try it yourself? I'm waiting! Go there and turn WoW or any free MMORPG community through your guild so it becomes a Massive ROLEPLAYING game! What are you waiting for? DO IT!
Well in WoW you pick a roleplaying server, as indicated by the (RP) in the server list, and create your character there.

Gonna go ahead and quote myself for emphasis.
Vrok said:
Whining about simplistic game mechanics is one thing, whining about other players is stupid.

Personally, I really enjoy the cooperative experience, which is one of the reasons I find Infinity games tons more fun in MP even though SP sometimes provides more roleplaying opportunities.

I doubt anyone would want to play PnP with just themselves and a DM either. So I guess your friends suck or you simply don't have any.

Zetor

Arcane
Complaining about games (and game mechanics) is one thing, complaining about players is stupid. If you hate playing with people, why are you playing multiplayer games in the first place? And besides, a good guild isn't attached to a particular game.
Back in SWG, my guild operated a very well-known city with plenty of 'RP' (not the soap opera anime princess unicorn furry vampire sort, either) and events happening. We could do all this by just playing a few hours (<20) a week, too. Sadly, most of the 'modern' (hah) MMOGs dislike giving players tools to actually alter the gameworld for better or worse. But that, again, brings us back to UO. :deadhorse:
kenney bounces said:
I think most of you old-uo'ers who liked the pre-trammel era should give eve-online a try.
I tried it when it was beta back in 2001 (?), and didn't really like it... but then, I didn't like the Elite games back then, either.

The entire "you are your ship" avatarization is silly, and the gameplay was so sluggish, I felt like I was 'playing' a spreadsheet. Might just be me, though, and I understand why people could like it (the pvp factor, politics, etc; though if you're not in an uberguild, you are screwed).

-- Z.

kris

Arcane
DarkSign said:
Nothing in the nature of MMOs hardcodes suckage into it.

Yes, the huge problem is the other people. It is hard to play a MMORPG without other people.

Cassidy

Arcane
DarkSign said:
Nothing in the nature of MMOs hardcodes suckage into it.

Wrong in part, though it's not hardcoded, there is a lack of will to improve MMO gameplay beyond "Teh Ph4t L00t LOLZ" and "LOLZ I'm teh Best EVAR lvl 99!", all it needs is that he company makes a radical roleplaying-friendly gameplay expansion on the MMO mechanics(Explanation below)

Zetor said:
Back in SWG, my guild operated a very well-known city with plenty of 'RP' (not the soap opera anime princess unicorn furry vampire sort, either) and events happening. We could do all this by just playing a few hours (<20) a week, too. Sadly, most of the 'modern' (hah) MMOGs dislike giving players tools to actually alter the gameworld for better or worse.

You just put the main question of it.Most of roleplaying I saw in the few MMORPGs I played was almost the same as the way Oblivion's roleplaying is described in Codex threads about it, as a pretext for levelling and also as a Non-supported by game mechanics chat-room roleplaying. What is the point of roleplaying in a game which mechanics don't support, but instead detract roleplaying, attracting all types of "LOLZ" boys? What is the point of inventing a dumb history behind an instanced dungeon raid to get "teh phat l00t"? That's the problem, no matter how good is a community, if the gameplay doesn't support things like Choices and Consequences and offer other methods of character development instead of level treadmill, roleplaying will always be crippled.

Well in WoW you pick a roleplaying server

From the information I gathered, these "roleplaying" servers don't enforce really strict roleplay and tend to involve mostly the "soap opera anime princess unicorn furry vampire sort".

To sum it up, most MMORPGs are massively multiplayer versions of Oblivion's gameplay with a more discrete level scaling.

Zetor

Arcane
Cassidy said:
Zetor said:
Back in SWG, my guild operated a very well-known city with plenty of 'RP' (not the soap opera anime princess unicorn furry vampire sort, either) and events happening. We could do all this by just playing a few hours (<20) a week, too. Sadly, most of the 'modern' (hah) MMOGs dislike giving players tools to actually alter the gameworld for better or worse.

You just put the main question of it.Most of roleplaying I saw in the few MMORPGs I played was almost the same as the way Oblivion's roleplaying is described in Codex threads about it, as a pretext for levelling and also as a Non-supported by game mechanics chat-room roleplaying. What is the point of roleplaying in a game which mechanics don't support, but instead detract roleplaying, attracting all types of "LOLZ" boys? What is the point of inventing a dumb history behind an instanced dungeon raid to get "teh phat l00t"? That's the problem, no matter how good is a community, if the gameplay doesn't support things like Choices and Consequences and offer other methods of character development instead of level treadmill, roleplaying will always be crippled.

Well in WoW you pick a roleplaying server

From the information I gathered, these "roleplaying" servers don't enforce really strict roleplay and tend to involve mostly the "soap opera anime princess unicorn furry vampire sort".

To sum it up, most MMORPGs are massively multiplayer versions of Oblivion's gameplay with a more discrete level scaling.
Stop being obtuse. I've already mentioned (several times) that some systems are better for RP than others. Consider that level-based games SUCK for roleplaying. Making the decision about whether to make a "virtual world" vs. a "game" is usually a no-brainer at this point, considering virtual worlds cost a LOT to create and maintain, while having potentially fewer players than a derivative dikumud grindfest.

So if I wanted to "rank" the MMORPGs in order of "RP-friendliness", it'd be something like (bigger numbers are better):

-1. instance-based game (guild wars, city of heroes, hellgate): There is very little possibility of interaction with others, you spend most of your gametime in an instance either by yourself or with a small group. Town zones ("hubs") are typically separated from the instances with actual gameplay (not completely, in the case of CoH), and while you can find other people to RP with there, your options are limited. I'd say you could do anything you could do in an openrpg/fantasygrounds/IRC setting, which itself isn't too bad.
These games typically have no non-instanced pvp either.

0. DIKUstyle game with possible instancing (daoc, eq, wow, AO): The world is segregated into level-based zones, which kills a lot of potential interaction right there (this is actually a step down from instanced games, as those hubs tend to collect more people overall from all levels). On the other hand, the world is a coherent (static) place with all sorts of possible-if-limited RP encounters out there in the wild. PVP is possible in these games, but generally an afterthought (level- and class-based games are absolutely horrible when it comes to pvp balance).
Since you have some limited ways of interacting with the world, you can even set up scenarios and in-game events if you want to. Most of these games have instanced pvp and pve zones, but those are only for very specific areas, and connected to the world itself. If these games have player housing (ie. dynamic areas), they are always instanced, meaning only a predetermined group of people will be inside at any time, with nobody accidentally walking past and noticing something going on, so RP is possible in a "separate" area, but not really in the main world itself.

1. open-world game with no systems in place for player-created content, but no restrictions either (uo): This is a huge step up; the biggest difference is that players can actually change the world here. While you can temporarily kill a bunch of orcs in a diku-game and have the area cleared for a few minutes, you can't do anything permanent to them; in UO, you could just build a house in the middle of the forest and have it become a part of the world.
Virtual-world games typically have full pvp, meaning you can attack and kill anyone you meet, with appropriate consequences (being flagged a murderer, unable to enter cities without the guards killing you, others being able to put a hit on you, etc), and then loot their entire inventory (unless they insured some items, but that gets expensive). This also means that virtually any sort of RP scenario is possible (you can place items and buildings in the world, remember), the only limit is the graphics of the in-game item models. And by RP, I don't mean the fairy-princess-anime-catgirl-vampire sort, but tournaments, manhunts, clashes between separate factions, thievery, etc.
These games do NOT have any instancing whatsoever, it'd defeat the entire point.

2. open-world game with systems in place for player-created content (swg): I'd say this is the best model for a RP-friendly game I've seen so far, but the only game brave enough to try it has sadly regressed to suckiness 3-4 years ago (I don't have an account anymore), and is slowly dying. The main difference between this and a standard virtual world is giving actual ingame tools to players to shape the world.
In SWG's case you could build player cities (with taxes, votes, shops, shuttleports and everything), build harvesters out in the world to get materials for crafting (EVERYTHING ingame was crafted by players) and factories to mass-produce said items, you had rivalries between crafters trying to create their own "brands", and of course pvp (SWG actually suffered a bit here, since it had an optional pvp system that was exploited to hell and back, not to mention the combat classes were pretty badly balanced in pvp for a long while). They also had actual implementations of "entertainer" classes (class is a bit of a misnomer, as anyone could pick up any number of "classes" as long as the collective skillpoint# was under a certain number).
I've actually planned, "DM"-d and executed a "pen-and-paper"-esque adventure with my guild in SWG, using areas in the world, items/houses set up in the world by me in advance, pre-written books and notes and such. It wasn't a linear adventure either, and they failed in the end due to making a few wrong choices and running out of time. :P

This is a (overly) simplistic breakdown, the distinction between "virtual worlds" and "games" is a lot more complex, I just wanted to point out some relevant bits for RP-friendliness. And yes, you might note that SWG is all-but-dead, and UO is hardly the juggernaut it used to be; is it because both games suck? Or is it because people aren't that interested in a more immersive setting? You decide.

BTW, I find it amusing that you're so quick to cast judgement without ever having actually played a MMOG. (crappy free ones like runescape don't count, fyi)

-- Z.

errorcode

Liturgist
MMORPGS will continue to gradually get better as the industry matures and more companies get funding to try out different approaches. WOW has done wonders for this (as shocking as that may seem) because it's shown the suits that MMOs can be HUGE MONEY MAKERS while also sucking the air out of the "Generic fantasy grindfest" demographicand.

This means suits are putting money into MMOs that are trying something different because A) they want a slice of the MMO cashcow B) they're scared of stepping into WOWs territory. Thus, we're getting games that are trying new leveling schemes, changing the progression models, experimenting with new narrative approaches, and pretty much trying to find an approach that'll give them the niche they need to survive.

From this darwinian approach of survival of the least shitty, we're going to see new ideas on how MMOs can work and, more importanly, see a reshaping of the public demand for what MMOs offer.

I'm stoked that Tim Cain is stepping into the MMO field, although i hope it's in a more design/production role than a programming one since his games are bug-fuck messes (and no, it's not because "his code is too complex to adequately test" , thats a weak cop-out. Don't make excuses for a grown man).

merry andrew

Erudite
Sovard said:
So, yeah, you're wondering why Tim Cain is involved in an MMO. Nobody mentioned that it would be a CONSOLE MMO.
Nowadays you can pretty much stick a USB keyboard and mouse into any console, though.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Sovard said:
So, yeah, you're wondering why Tim Cain is involved in an MMO. Nobody mentioned that it would be a CONSOLE MMO.

That article doesn't mention Tim Cain or Carbine Studios. NCSoft makes plenty of MMOs, there's no reason to assume this PS3 MMO is Tim Cain's.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
vrok said:
Well in WoW you pick a roleplaying server, as indicated by the (RP) in the server list, and create your character there.

And join the LARPers? What the hell for?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, Lyric Suite, think about it - online LARP RP actually should have everything a Codexer likes-

I am thinking of NWN Persistent Worlds or the Armageddon MUD here, where you walk around and act in character. Certainly it seems silly to type things like [Approaches you with trembling hands, his back bent from his pack's weight] and say things as your character would say them- but again, think about it- an Multiplayer LARP RPG on an engine that supports RP, like Aurora, has everything you could want from a CRPG- each of your action has a consequence, you can shape and affect the gameworld to your liking (by your in character actions), can join the factions, make factions, destroy factions, enjoy stories told by players and DMs and generally just play your character like you would in a perfect CRPG - with no constraints at all, except for, of course, his character and skills and abilities. And there's always a story too. On EFU, an NWN PW right now, people are working hard to get the four keys to the mysterious Machine, a relict of the Swirfneblin that the slaves now inhabit. Some say activating it will cause tremendous destructions, others say it will make the settlement prosper. The deep gnomes of old were wiped out but no one knows how. All the different factions have a distinctively different viewpoint on this issue and everyone is double-crossing everyone because they want the keys, or destroy the keys. Of course not many players actually know of this, since it is kept quiet. Further, if a player character learns of this, his view will already be influenced by who he learned it from, since all the little factions that do share the knowledge have their own agenda.

I don't like playing with others, because others usually suck, but really, do think about it- Isn't the perfect CRPG one where you can act every possible role out and have the world react dynamically to it? One where your PCs skills actually matter? One where each action has a consequence? Well, go join a (good, and better yet, high-standard and 18+ exclusive) LARP thingy like armageddon.org.

Xi

Arcane
Personally, MMO's are too addictive for me. I've had to give them up because they absorb too much of my time and I find myself thinking about the game during all other activities. Almost like it's difficult to let go for any reason at all, even while sleeping in dreams! I think the repetitive long hours of doing the same things over and over just grinds it into your head. Then before you know it, you're a zombie worth $15 a month.

I consider myself a hardcore gamer, but I'm faaar too casual for MMOs. I learned this the hard way with WoW.(But it started much earlier with UO - one can only speculate about how negatively it affected some aspects of my youth.) It was a bad addiction and it has negatively impacted my life. I refer you to this:

http://www.wowdetox.com/

It's difficult enough to deal with real life as it is. Adding a virtual life on top of that is a lot of anxiety and stress that will eventually destroy you. You'll wake up one day and realize the horror. Not a good thing. Well, at least for me anyway.

Tim Cain is just another has been. He means nothing anymore.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Jaime Lannister said:
Sovard said:

That article doesn't mention Tim Cain or Carbine Studios. NCSoft makes plenty of MMOs, there's no reason to assume this PS3 MMO is Tim Cain's.

Well...

Carbine Studios was officially "created" after this announcement. It is very likely that the development team was already mostly fleshed out prior to the Sony partnership press release. Also, they won't name this studio specifically given the timeline of the press releases.

The earliest release taking advantage of this partnership may well be within the next year (as stated in the press release, this will likely be a port), though they expect original IPs to take something more like 2-3 years (at a minimum, also in the press release.)

It's very likely that Carbine will have the engine paid and provided by NCsoft, which leaves 3 years in sole development and implementation. By the time their game comes to market, NCsoft will have tested the console MMO waters. If successful, this would make it nearly guaranteed to be cross-platform at the least. Also, given how new the studio is, they're in the long-term projection for a console MMO.

No, it doesn't specifically say, "Tim Cain is making a console MMO"... but to me this seems very moot given the other information.

Xi

Arcane
merry andrew said:
Xi said:
Tim Cain is just another has been. He means nothing anymore.
This coming from someone who lets computer games ruin their life.

Did I ever say they ruined my life? No. I merely said that those games lead to potential disaster for a lot of folks. They are too involved. Tim Cain is a has been, and I wouldn't expect to see him do anything magical with the MMO genre. He'll just be promoting addictive, time involved gaming trends like the rest of the retarded developers. It'll be a 100,000 hour grind fest with 40 year old men pretending to have boobies. Though maybe it is a little early to tell. I'm still very skeptical.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom