Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Tim Cain Talks Project Eternity at Eurogamer

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Yeah, well. If you're not convinced let's give them a shitload of money instead. ;)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is it really a time saver if you have to build an RPG system by yourself instead of using an existing one?
It is. Using an existing system means that they have to bend the rules, to suit their needs. Just like how they did with PST. And some IP holders don't like that, so the devs have to coordinate with them constantly. And of course it costs money to licence it.

kris

Arcane
Hopefully guns will be restricted to.. muskets, or something.
that female archer concept pic has a strong native american vibe, imo, so anything from arquebuses to revolvers would go well with that.

and like I said about cities. Two cities named "New something" implies that they are made by colonisers or migrating people. Might be set in a continent were a more technically advanced civilization has started colonising.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
My main concern about Project Eternity is that fans expect too much. While $1.55 million - or $2 million, or $3 million - may seem like a big wad of cash, it's nowhere near the budget a team like Obsidian usually works with.

So it will be even crappier that the usual Obsidian offering.

Followed immediately by:

"Those budget numbers are just right for what we are trying to make," Cain answered.

Try to smile every once in awhile, FTR. It won't hurt.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Hopefully guns will be restricted to.. muskets, or something.
that female archer concept pic has a strong native american vibe, imo, so anything from arquebuses to revolvers would go well with that.

and like I said about cities. Two cities named "New something" implies that they are made by colonisers of migrating people. Might be set in a continent were a more technically advanced civilization has started colonising.
hopefully it's that and not just the fantasy standard of the old ones being destroyed by orcs/undead/cataclysmic calamity due to ancient and powerful magicks or some other bollocks like that.

kris

Arcane
Would be funny if it was the elves colonising and sporting muskets in that case.

All speculating of course.

Lexx

Cipher
I would support such an idea. Tree hugger elves are getting kind of old by now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why do some people automatically think of colonization when they hear "muskets"? It's not like early firearms weren't used in Europe as well.

Oh wait. :patriot:

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
i think they took their clues from the city names at the coastline. new heomar and new yamar - ya know, like new york and shit like that. i guess them could be right.
btw i love how the majority of all the shitheads at the brosidian forum raged about standard fantasy races demanding more creativity and as soon as they heard guns they want their generic medieval uberswords :M

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As much as it pains me I must admit that the combat system in DA:O was mostly fine. It was the encounter (and enemy) design where they dropped the ball (oh, the derp roads). I agree that among many challenges encounter design is the one which will be the most difficult for Obsidian to tackle.
3 mages with cone of cold = win against everything.

Also sword and shield builds were useless.

Also, way too many cues taken from MMOs which were never fun or interesting and solely designed to make game play take longer.

I found BG1/2 combat way better with AD&D being smashed into real time.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So... Cain thinks they can make an rpg in some 18 months? Doesn't he know that's impossible!

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
As much as it pains me I must admit that the combat system in DA:O was mostly fine. It was the encounter (and enemy) design where they dropped the ball (oh, the derp roads). I agree that among many challenges encounter design is the one which will be the most difficult for Obsidian to tackle.

Also, way too many cues taken from MMOs which were never fun or interesting and solely designed to make game play take longer.

Aaah, but that's not fault of the combat system but broken game-balance. They put wrong stats and encouraged hp-bloat. In other words, the structure built around RTwP system is wrong, not the RTwP system itself.

kaizoku

Arcane
So... Cain thinks they can make an rpg in some 18 months? Doesn't he know that's impossible!

What I found more surprising was this:

My main concern about Project Eternity is that fans expect too much. While $1.55 million - or $2 million, or $3 million - may seem like a big wad of cash, it's nowhere near the budget a team like Obsidian usually works with. Granted, Obsidian's going for a retro isometric, text-driven RPG with Project Eternity, but will that be enough to satisfy the hype? Should fans temper their expectations?

"Those budget numbers are just right for what we are trying to make," Cain answered.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Why do some people automatically think of colonization when they hear "muskets"? It's not like early firearms weren't used in Europe as well.
considering nobody did just because of muskets being mentioned, maybe it's time to update your reading comprehension software?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
They have the engine and some elements like party formations are already in. If the game is based on Black Hound and/or Torn, they have a lot of well polished design done as well. If they have the Steam engine, they are miles ahead of Fargo.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
considering nobody did just because of muskets being mentioned, maybe it's time to update your reading comprehension software?

I wasn't referring to anybody ITT, it was just a general statement.

Tim Cain will handle system mechanics and programming for Project Eternity.
Yes!

Source?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Aaah, but that's not fault of the combat system but broken game-balance. They put wrong stats and encouraged hp-bloat. In other words, the structure built around RTwP system is wrong, not the RTwP system itself.
Well maybe. It still had one huge flaw that the IE games had, but they actually fixed in KOTOR and then added back in. The inability to make a chain of orders than the characters will follow. Related to that, the inability to set way points is annoying.

If Eternity basically just copies IE games, has a good interface, and lets you set a chain of orders (including move orders). I'll be more than happy.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Related to that, the in ability to set way points is annoying.

You could use waypoints in the IE games. I think it was as simple as holding the shift key down clicking on a destination.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom