Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Tim Cain spills the beans at Edge Online

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Applegate's Breasts said:
That Dead or Alive guy who calls other games pieces of shit eventually got fired didn't he (for sexual harassment)?
He wasn't fired, he quit because he wasn't paid all of the money he was promised for making Ninja Gaiden 2. He was involved with a sexual harassment case but he only got demoted for it.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Man, he did a lot for us. Can't say I dig MMO's, but that's where the money is. Until you realise Blizzard own the market and they foreclose on your arse. I'm looking at you Hellgate: London.

S_Verner

Scholar
baby arm said:
I'd be interested to find out what kind of genre he's using for the MMO he's working on. Fantasy, Post Apoc, Cyberpunk, Steampunk, what.
Just going by the images on their site, it looks to be a fantasy/sci-fi mix, with emphasis on the fantasy.

So it's a rip-off of Final Fantasy?

Guys, we need to implement an ignore list and keep Tim Cain on it by default.

I mean, it would hurt to see him say things.

S_Verner

Scholar
Fat Dragon said:
Applegate's Breasts said:
That Dead or Alive guy who calls other games pieces of shit eventually got fired didn't he (for sexual harassment)?
He wasn't fired, he quit because he wasn't paid all of the money he was promised for making Ninja Gaiden 2. He was involved with a sexual harassment case but he only got demoted for it.

...Itagaki?

You mean the man who was practically our fucking ambassador to the outside world?

When is the IP suit coming, anyway?

Also, the bolded is wrong, he had to fund part of NG2's development out of his own pocket, and wanted compensation.

He only called TECMO games shit, and he didn't start the conversation, he was asked his opinion of their games in an interview.

Jason

chasing a bee
Another Tim Cain interview:
Ten Ton Hammer: To be honest, I've been a huge fan of your previous work at Troika Games, especially the Arcanum and Vampire titles. How are you going to use your experience with Troika and Interplay to help you create the world that Carbine Studios is working on? Are you keen to try your hand at a "fantasy" MMO sort of experience, since you haven't touched that genre since the Temple of Elemental Evil?

Tim Cain: My Carbine MMO is a brand-new MMO, and we are making both the IP and the engine from scratch. I’ve done that twice before, once with Fallout at Interplay and again with Arcanum at Troika. So I feel well prepared to do it a third time here at Carbine. And its genre won’t strictly be fantasy, since I think we’ve seen that done enough.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Tim Cain said:
I’ve done that twice before, once with Fallout at Interplay and again with Arcanum at Troika. So I feel well prepared to do it a third time here at Carbine.
I had no idea those games used two different engines. They looked so much alike I just assumed Arcanum used an updated Fallout engine.
And its genre won’t strictly be fantasy, since I think we’ve seen that done enough.
Thank god it won't be another Middle Earth, but I hope this game will have more than just some primitive machinery for the sci-fi stuff. Get enough of that from WoW. Looking forward to seeing what these guys come up with. I personally enjoy playing WoW from time to time so it'll take a damned good multiplayer game to get me off of that.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Fat Dragon said:
Tim Cain said:
I’ve done that twice before, once with Fallout at Interplay and again with Arcanum at Troika. So I feel well prepared to do it a third time here at Carbine.
I had no idea those games used two different engines. They looked so much alike I just assumed Arcanum used an updated Fallout engine.
The engine is indeed very similar, but it is made from scratch. They had no rights to use the Fallout engine, anyway. Also:
Are you using the same engine as Fallout?

Jesse Reynolds 3/22/2000

Arcanum is not using the Fallout engine. It is a completely new engine written from scratch. As such, it supports higher color depths (16-bit) and a higher resolution (800x600). Because of this, the size of the data is much greater than it was for Fallout (Fallout was 8-bit color and 640x480). So we are shoving around over 3 *TIMES* the data that Fallout did. That much data requires more VRAM to put it in. We also are doing a lot more with eye-candy effects, which means that more art may be displayed at a given time than others (yet more memory needed).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom