Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Tim Cain launches a YouTube channel, confirms he's been semi-retired since June 2020

Jrpgfan

Erudite
The Outer Worlds wasn't great... it was pretty close though.
Tweak the gunplay to be less Borderlands-ey big numbers, add in some more hand crafted quests rather than by the number RNG locations. It gets there.
I guess in could compete with Fallout 3.

Which game was more stupid

I think it's 60% to 70% of the way to being like Prey. Aka, "the Deus Ex genre."

Prey's one of my favourite games of all time. Arkane's action games are a blast. I acknowledge most of RPG Codex has a gigantic hard-on for turn based + RTWP gameplay loops/grid based tactical, rather than Deus Ex style action rpgs. I just like both genres.

I've played RPGs for 20+ years (unfortunately, in many ways).

Games that have really inspired me are Prey, Disco Elysium, Baldur's Gate, Nehrim/Enderal/The Lost Spires, The Endless Mod. Troubleshooter Abandoned Children, Fall From Heaven 2, FF6 + Chrono Trigger + Zelda A Link to the Past, Elden Ring, Faster Than Light. Multiple genres, what I see in them is each game was best in class at writing + character sheet mechanics + excellent, snappy gameplay loop.

The Deus Ex formula is just really really excellent.
Thank you for telling us your life story. I'm sure everyone on this forum was eager to know.

Can you tell us now what's your favorite food? What are your hobbies besides gaming? What's your gym workout routine?

Maldoror

Scholar
I get the feeling that he's probably working on a Disco Elysium sequel or a sequel made by that company (or collective, to use their terminology...) based off of how he acted in the YouTube comments, but I'm in no rush to see.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game development has traditionally been a young man's industry. Brian Fargo founded Interplay when he was 21 and wasn't yet 40 when he was forced out. Josh Sawyer was still in his 30s when Pillars of Eternity was crowdfunded as a nostalgic throwback to a dead subgenre.

It's still weird to see game developers in their late 50s, but I guess they're going to become more common as the industry matures.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
Tim Cain is for gaming what Al Pacino and DeNiro are for movies. They earned the right to do whatever the fuck they want at their age.
The man gave us Fallout1,Arcanum and Vampire. That's enough for me to call him a legend in the gaming industry.I don't give a fuck that he's a gay either. Some clowns here seem to be bothered by this and i don't get why. He always acted decently and never tried to push any agenda like some degenerates in the gaming industry.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Game development has traditionally been a young man's industry. Brian Fargo founded Interplay when he was 21 and wasn't yet 40 when he was forced out. Josh Sawyer was still in his 30s when Pillars of Eternity was crowdfunded as a nostalgic throwback to a dead subgenre.

It's still weird to see game developers in their late 50s, but I guess they're going to become more common as the industry matures.

Not surprising. For most of its history, games were about playing with new tech, actual innovation, and in some rare cases, treated as an art form.

as the industry matures.

I wonder what joys a corporate-led, money-grubbing, talentless industry will bring. No doubt they're hard at work poking AI for new monetization strategies.

Modron

Arcane
Can you tell us now what's your favorite food? What are your hobbies besides gaming? What's your gym workout routine?
We have forums dedicated to 2 out of 3 of those queries (cooking is just a pinned megathread in one of them).

Maldoror

Scholar
I'm willing to bet his paid gigs are the Outer World 2 (for Obsidian) and Project Cobalt (for inXile).
I would think that his work on The Outer Worlds 2 is already finished simply because, he said that he gave the team working on The Outer Worlds 2 a bunch of advice. Makes me believe he did some pre-production and planning for the game like he did on Fallout 2 before he left Interplay.
He has said a few times that he generally prefers making new games than sequels.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
His partner Leonard Boyarsky
They’re lovers?
thank you for giving me this opportunity to repost my oc
IDGRg24.jpg

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I never played dark souls so i have no opinion on that. Meh i guess.
You don't miss much... beside feeling of being a part of obnoxious crybabies, who worships janky game that's considered "gaming messiah" because it brings back difficulty to videogames in the era of mass cashualization and popamole infestation.

Maldoror

Scholar
I never played dark souls so i have no opinion on that. Meh i guess.
You don't miss much... beside feeling of being a part of obnoxious crybabies, who worships janky game that's considered "gaming messiah" because it brings back difficulty to videogames in the era of mass cashualization and popamole infestation.
t. filtered by the Capra Demon

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
It's an inevitable FACT that all creative giants who put out amazing stuff in the past, eventually produce mediocre-to-good product (at best) in the later years. At least with music and games, it's been firmly true, unfortunately. At least in my experience.
You can probably count on one hand the exceptions to this rule. It's got to the point where I'm scared to check out veterans' new stuff for fear of being disappointed and retroactively liking their earlier work less.
And there doesn't seem to be a solution to this at all. Just stop working and putting stuff out at some point? But why, if the person enjoys what he does?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
They are interesting videos. Good bit of story. But his delivery. Holy cringe.

Pretty standard for someone who (I assume) has no experience producing these kinds of videos.

I would much, much rather the videos be in text form instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom