Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Thymesia

cruel

Cipher
Odur is pretty hard, that's true - but a very fun fight at the same time. He will be even more challenging if you're trying to beat him without parrying. But, he doesn't hit that hard, it's not true that 'one mistake and you're done'. Not even close to Malenia difficulty.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I took this for a spin, as a part of my backlog cleaning effort.

Only played the first mission so far but I'm already having way more fun than I had with Steelrising which I finished yesterday. Plays a bit like Sekiro, with Nioh mission structure. What's not to like. It's nowhere near as stylish as Sekiro or as sophisticated as Nioh but who the fuck cares.

Btw the first main boss and his mutated version are probably the best non-FS bosses I've ever taken major ass raping from.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bringing you another soulslike review through the power of the internets.

This one is very short, about 12 hours for a complete run. A relatively budget, cheap looking Chink clang-a-looza, a crossbreed between Sekiro (no-stamina, parry-based combat) and Nioh (mission structure). After the initial delight I tempered my verdict. Game clearly wants to be Sekiro, problem is if you're doing a parry-based combat you have to lean into it fully and subject everything else to it.

So whereas Sekiro is perfectly tuned with optimal tells, clear windups and appropriate enemy swing speeds, in Thymesia there are often no tells at all, some swings or jabs are almost instantaneous, sometimes lighting fast flurries. I mean it's not the hardest soulslike ever (not the easiest either) so you can usually manage, sadly most of this managing is achieved by furiously mashing of the parry button which is obviously not ideal. In Sekiro braindead mashing of the parry button would get you skewered very quickly.

As for other cons, levels are relatively simple and short, enemy variety is not amazing and there are only 3 different environments.

On to the pros.
Yes combat is flawed but still fun. Game gives you just one weapon, just like in Sekiro, but unlike Sekiro the additional arsenal is way more entertaining and engaging. Instead of boring prosthetic tools you can yoink weapons from enemies, take them for yourself and upgrade them with all sorts of interesting features. There are only 3 basic attributes (Strength, Vitality and Energy) but a truckload of interesting perks and abilities you can freely slot in and out. All in all the game is way too short for the amount of tools and options you have so many of them go completely unused (Feathers, other healing flasks, recipes).
The biggest highlight are the bosses. There are 8 in total and 3 of them are among the most fun (and difficult) bosses I've ever fought, including FromSoft games. The others are okay too although two of them are gimmic/spectacle bosses so you mileage may vary.

TLDR: 7/10, better than Steelrising but worse than Mortal Shell or Ashen (both 8/10).

cruel

Cipher
TLDR: 7/10, better than Steelrising but worse than Mortal Shell or Ashen (both 8/10).

I liked Mortal Shell as well, but I'm curious, what made you like Ashen so much? I tried like 3 times so far and each and every time got bored, mostly due to how simplistic it was. Is it better later, or some other reason?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom