Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Three Musketeers the RPG

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
From the same company that brought you the excitement of <a href="http://www.dingogames.com/dolphin/">Laser Dolphin</a> (Are you a bad enough Laser Dolphin to save the Prime Minister?) comes <a href="http://www.dingogames.com/three-musketeers-game/">an RPG that closely follows</a> the plot of the classic Three Musketeers novel. Here's the low-down:
<blockquote>Created by independent developer Dingo Games, the game features an old school top-down perspective with hand drawn 2d graphics. Players duel enemies, gather loot, and fire muskets as they make their way through the main story. The setting of 17th France, which is uncommon in games, creates a unique gaming experience. Minigames and sidequests are specific to the setting - in one sidequest players help the inventor of the flintlock musket.

The story focuses on d'Artagnan's adventures with the famous three Musketeers: Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. Cardinal Richelieu, the most powerful man in France, launches a plot to disgrace the queen and it's up to d'Artagnan and his three friends to save her honor. Later in the game, the beautiful but deadly Milady de Winter becomes the chief concern of the four comrades.

It took 165 years, but this classic tale has finally been faithfully adapted into a video game. There is a free demo available for Windows and Mac.</blockquote>
You can download the demo for both Mac and Windows on <a href="http://www.dingogames.com/three-musketeers-game/">the game's web-site</a>. I know I'm excited.

Morkar Left

Played the demo for 45 mins. It´s really a faithful adaption that very closely follows the novel. The gfx are in comic-look. The storytwists are presented as a comic-page with amateurish drawings you have to getz used to. But overall the presentation is simple but fits the needs. And the fencing animations surprised me, they are very well done for the engine.

Combat is just clicking on the enemy and watch. Depending on your and the enemies stats, you seem to have a chance to confuse him. Then you have to click on the enemy once again to do a critical strike. Sounds simple and it is. But fighting against more than one enemy is somehow enjoyable. And you have your healing potions diablo-style of course. Don´t know how firearms work because I have no one.

The "stats" are: Attack, Defense and Honour. Yep, that´s it. But it´s getting better; if you level-up (I´ve found no indicator to see your progress till lvl-up), all three stats increase automatically by one point!
Attack + Defense should be clear. Honour gives you more access to quests (you need to have the right honour-lvl), some npcs acting different (stated in the tutorial-popups) and vendors give you better prices.

Of course, you can further increase the stats with wearing the right (and better) equipment.

The game has some charme, especially the adaption of the novel is appealing even if that means you have a lack of choices. But having only 3 stats that are raising automatically makes the rpg-factor of the game lousy. It´s a shame and wasted potential. If you like the three musketeers and don´t want to read the book again or playing on your laptop between two stations it´s nice. This game could have been a true indy-gem but it´s to lightweighted for a serious rpg (I doubt that there will be more complexity to the stats system or c&c). I will play a little bit further, maybe it´s still worth the money.

Andhaira

Arcane
Wow great find! Looks like a cute game. Am downloading now.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
So it's not turn-based? lol pass.

Andhaira

Arcane
Well its peudo turnbased. That is, its real time but the combat plays out like turn based. Its fun actually.

The entire game OTOH is pretty shallow though. I like the humor, but there is not much else. I'll pass this one.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
DarkUnderlord said:
It took 165 years, but this classic tale has finally been faithfully adapted into a video game.

LOL at bad marketing blurb. First off, "faithfully" is a subject of interpretation. Second, Touché, The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer. Third, it's more like 20 years...until someone finally realized that "Hey! We don't need to pay royalties off of this crap! Let's steal it and use it for our game!" Finally, using long periods of waiting as a marketing tool is utter fail. "It took 4000 years, but now the Pyramids have finally been adapted into a video game in all of their...pyramidy glory." "It took 4 billion years, but now the sun has finally been adapted into a video game for all to see."

The game could be fun, but their marketing department needs to be dragged outside and shot.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Eh.. this felt more like a kid's game after the first few minutes. Anyone else with a more experienced opinion? I really don't wanna waste my time with a kiddy flash game.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Well, he got a point: I doubt that Alexandre Dumas was looking to sell the right to make a video game adaptation right after he was done writing the story.

"It took 10 centuries, but The Odyssey has finally been faithfully adapted into a video game."

kenney bounces

Liturgist
I forced myself to play through the whole demo (one hour).

Two weapons: Gun and a sword.

Use gun once, then use sword. Wait for someone to "sweat", click on that sweating person.
If health gets low, click potions.

That's the whole combat.. seems designed for children. (Literally)
The whole "quest" game is basically one automated path laid out for you after another. Walk to this path, walk to that path. Again.. seems designed for children.

The love+relationship+dialogue again seems designed for children. I'm sure a 8-12 year old audience would really get a kick out of this.. but anyone who is an experienced pc-gamer would be turned off.

If you wanna buy this game for your kids sure. If you're looking for an in-depth RPG game to play.. i say look for something else.

dingogames

Novice
Hello, I'm the developer of The Three Musketeers: The Game. Thanks everyone for taking a look at it.

Unkillable Cat said:
First off, "faithfully" is a subject of interpretation. Second, Touché, The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer.
I have to say that it really is faithful to the book. In fact, it is the only video game that could even be considered "based on" the book. There are a few games with "Musketeers" in the title, but none of them have anything to do with the original story. But don't take my word for it...

laclongquan

Arcane
"Faithfully follow the book" is such an double edg

It's not a pro-point for gamers, you see. We care about good game, we care about how the game follow its predecessor , we really dont give much about "Faithfully follow the book/movie/comic" thing. :idea:

Knight of the Old Republic is a powerful argument, but from my point of view, that game's developers made the game for Star Wars' fan who play games, not for gamers first. I played it once and abandon it. Too easy, too ... fanboy? KOTR is like a cheap blowjob, cant really replace the main thing at all. Some like that, me, I dont. Not if I can have that main thing. :D

Another argument against "Faithfully follow the book" as such is King of Dragon Pass. That obscure game was made around the novels and tabletop games surrounding a novelized universe. The game developers tried to make gamers follow directions in that universe. Like developing a clan upto certain size then split, making a new clan that is very friendly to the first but still a new clan that take a portion of my lands, my wealth, my people. Well I said screw that and when those buggers wanted to split, I demurred. Oh, a few illness and plague broke out due to big size, but they can be dealt with by changing my religious practice toward goddesses of healing and plague. Rumble among the warriors can be dealt with by choosing certain councillor to be council leader.The disadvantage is big but can be dealt with. Meanwhile the advantage of humongous clan mean I can crush whoever dare to stand on my way. Heh.

When I ventured upon the little known google group of that game's fans, they are quite furious with me for not following the direction... Fuck me, was I supposed to have a brain lobotomized while I were at it too? :cool: Too many years of creative gaming cant be overcome just because "The Game Should Be SO"."Because I said so" is not the most idiotic thing you could say but it's close. :roll:

Well, to conclude, "Faithfully follow the book" is not a big thing among gamers. Make a good game and no one really care much about discrepancies. Like I dont really give a damn about those between Fallout 1 and 2. or them and Fallout Tactics. :cool:

PS: If you want to make a game that said the french queen was having affair with the english queen, using the Duke as conduit, and the Duke is gay too, we wouldnt blink an eye. Well, lezzie are hot, but the main thing is that in this case we care about the game, not the book or the histories.

PPS: yeah, I know the idea is quite sick if you know history of the time, but it really make no difference. Even raise further interests.

Panthera said:
You guys are so smart for explaining a joke.

sometimes this is how I see the codex

Mandark_300.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom