Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This new shit sucks -- A Dragon Age: Origins review SPOILERS

Imbecile

Arbiter
Melcar said:
The point is don't make uninformed hasty first decisions, and don't keep preaching them after the fact. That just makes you a dumbass. If you say something looks like shit then you better have a good reason to say so, and you stick with it.

I take your point, but first impressions are often wrong despite our best efforts and sometimes we say or write things that later turn out to be wrong. Ever been wrong?

I know I have.

circ

Arcane
Just an excuse to press escape. I doubt 'real reviewers' stick around for all the cutscenes anyway. I did bare through it when I quickly tested another combo though, and turns out I didn't really miss anything exciting.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
At least VD brought some reasonable maturity and intelligence when reviewing games back in the day rather than the moronic 'tweenage' rants and trolling this forum is currently subjected to by people who probably weren't even potty trained when the gold box games were released.

These are impressions and you would have looked cooler (or at least less stupid) had you posted this in "Dragon Age impressions" thread, instead you made an idiot out of youself by calling this incohorent nonsense a "review".
I can agree about cutscenes being boring as well as writing in general seeming to be the same from the little I saw. It actually put me off from playing this game further until I'm completely finished with Risen. Yet if you are writing something you are gonna be calling a "review" you should sit through cutscenes anyway. That's just a proper way to do it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't know about DAO, but a great leap of faith is required to find anything reedeming in Fallout 3.

circ

Arcane
Multidirectional said:
These are impressions and you would have looked cooler (or at least less stupid) had you posted this in "Dragon Age impressions" thread, instead you made an idiot out of youself by calling this incohorent nonsense a "review".
I can agree about cutscenes being boring as well as writing in general seeming to be the same from the little I saw. It actually put me off from playing this game further until I'm completely finished with Risen. Yet if you are writing something you are gonna be calling a "review" you should sit through cutscenes anyway. That's just a proper way to do it.
I had a limited size subject line, review was shortish enough and conveyed, for me anyway, enough info. Anyway, sadly, I'm 34 and yet still converse like some stupid tween twink homo asshole. I apologize. Well not really.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Disregard these ass pirates and continue your fine review. It's a pleasant change from the collective rim job this game is receiving (even here). Final Fantasy: Witcher is giving the kids their first boners and VD has totally sold out.

relootz

Scholar
Trash said:
I hope this is a parody of a retardedly bad and moronic review but I'm afraid he's serious. Which says something about the general quality of the newer posters.

These new posters are setting incredible lows for boring and unwittyfull posting. It's going to be a harsh task to surpass them.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
I dunno, I must be playing a different game. :roll:

About the only thing I almost agree with in that review is the graphics - which are actually not 'that' bad, just a bit dated. Otherwise I'm having an absolute blast.

Also, I find it a bit insulting and condecending to say that people praising the game are 'wrong'. I like it, in fact I like it a lot - you don't - but you're right and I'm wrong, how does that work again?

So anyway, tell me circ, what RPG's in the last few years have you actually liked? - just so I can get a perspective on where you're comming from.

circ

Arcane
Latest RPG-lite I actually ended up playing quite a bit, though never bothering to finish because the plot is garbage, was Drakensang. As for an actual CRPG that's somewhat recent, ToEE. I'd like to play VtmB but it gives me motion sickness so I've never gone past the haunted hotel.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
circ said:
Latest RPG-lite I actually ended up playing quite a bit, though never bothering to finish because the plot is garbage, was Drakensang. As for an actual CRPG that's somewhat recent, ToEE. I'd like to play VtmB but it gives me motion sickness so I've never gone past the haunted hotel.

Ok, let me get this straight - since you can't possibly even remotely suggest Drakensang is in the same league as DA:O, surely? Then the last actual CRPG you played and liked was ToEE (which I loved btw), from six years ago?

All that needs to be said really.

Review is a beat up designed to provoke, in exactly the same way the major review sites gush over new AAA games - only in reverse.

It's a condition we know down under as "the tall poppy syndrome". The only reason you dislike DA:O is that it's made by Bioware - a tall poppy that needs to be cut down. That and of course you think it makes you look kewl here at the codex.

circ

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
Ok, let me get this straight - since you can't possibly even remotely suggest Drakensang is in the same league as DA:O, surely? Then the last actual CRPG you played and liked was ToEE (which I loved btw), from six years ago?
No, I consider Drakensang a few leagues higher than DA: O. Yes, surely I do. Its graphics are not terrible to look at, especially its weaponry and armor. Its scenery is not barren and amateurish. Its invisible walls don't take a mere five seconds to reach and its areas show considerably more life and I don't mean mobiles by that. Its music, though the usual fantasy fare, is made by a person that understands chords and harmonies. The animators that worked on Drakensang seemed to understand basic human movement. They also seemed to know how lips move, which is funny when the original is in german. Its voice actors were largely unknown people, but they largely outperformed the majority of VO big stars in DA. It has quests that if you take too long with them result in failure and possible death for the quest giver, I don't know how DA handles the majority of its undoubtedly numerous quests. It has dull monotonous combat, but it doesn't try to be an MMO. It doesn't overflow with dialogue diarrhea that has a half a dozen conversation choices, most of them giving the same replies and some giving conflicting ones. It has a dumb and confusing plot that I congratulate you on if you understand anything of in the end, but then, I stopped caring about DA's plot with all its other shortcomings. And finally, it has a sand grain of RPG in it, I'm convinced I saw none in DA: O, despite all those skills and XP float bars and fully voiced (masterful and modern and sexy) dialogue.

AlaCarcuss said:
Review is a beat up designed to provoke, in exactly the same way the major review sites gush over new AAA games - only in reverse.
I'm a purile little man that likes profanity. Excuse me. Also, I gave my impressions of my experience, though short, with DA: O. If that doesn't meet your expectations, I'm sorry, I'm sure there are a number of people on the BioWare boards that will comfort you in your time of need.

AlaCarcuss said:
It's a condition we know down under as "the tall poppy syndrome". The only reason you dislike DA:O is that it's made by Bioware - a tall poppy that needs to be cut down. That and of course you think it makes you look kewl here at the codex.
Always the same old jibe. You dislike GAMENAME so you must obviously hate the studio like the plague as well. I liked BG 1 back in the day. BG 2 not so much. I also enjoyed KoTOR, mostly because of its nice adherence to the Star Wars mythos and because it had considerably better writing than Lucas had put out at the time, or has put out since then. I don't care about looking kewl, obviously. If I cared about that I would do nothing but praise DA: O.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Fuck this is so funny. Thread after thread about DA. Just like when F03 hit. 6 months ago it was like 'Fucking Da is for Fagz' now it's all 'Hai Guis what char should I roll'

MWHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHHAHHH

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
circ said:
Inane stuff about asthetics...

Have a close look at that wall of text. It is all about cosmetics like graphics, animations, music and voice acting.

I personally don't have any problems with any of them apart from the fact that, as I said, it looks like a game from 2-3 years ago. The story is also very interesting. To me, the combat is by far the best implementation of RTwP yet, and possibly the best squad based tactics system short of turn-based. I'm playing on hard btw - makes a huge difference.

But the simple fact that you actually believe Drakensang is a better game, well to me that just beggers belief - I quit that shit after a few hours through sheer bordem and frustration. But, oh wait - it did look a bit prettier.

You can keep your pretty but shallow games thanks. Horses for courses I guess - we'll just have to agree to disagree.

1eyedking

Erudite
Barrow_Bug said:
Fuck this is so funny. Thread after thread about DA. Just like when F03 hit. 6 months ago it was like 'Fucking Da is for Fagz' now it's all 'Hai Guis what char should I roll'
Except this thread makes sense.

Give it a month or two. People here will start seeing through all the fake C&C, bland writing, boring story, overrated combat, generic art direction, and soap opera party management (i.e.: just another BioWare game, now with vignettes) and DA will fade in the dust.

Volourn's the only real winner here, him getting new trolling material and all.

Murk

Arcane
Pretty much my own view, as I posted in another thread. I am however going to enjoy reading all the flaming and fighting, hopefully there's some good ol vitriolic spew in there.

I can never judge a game's status as "liked or not" when it first comes out here - there's so much back and forth and so many random tards spouting shit that I can't bother to put forth the patience and effort to sift through to find what the real judgments of the game are.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
1eyedking said:
..... and DA will fade in the dust.

You mean of course, after it sells a coupla million copies? :lol:

Mikayel said:
I can never judge a game's status as "liked or not" when it first comes out here - there's so much back and forth and so many random tards spouting shit that I can't bother to put forth the patience and effort to sift through to find what the real judgments of the game are.

You know I have a novel idea - you could just play the game and make up your own mind :roll:

IdaGno

Educated
like a 50's grade B horror flick, in a Cecil-B.-DeMille-teams-up-w/Ed-Wood kinda way, just to release yet another version of: IT CAME FROM EA!!!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom