Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News This Is Like That Thing Annie Carlson Is Working On

DriacKin said:
What exactly has Annie done in her career to warrant a comparison to Black Isle?

She was the lead writer on a project (SoZ) that had Bethesda quality writing.
And yet, you guys are making it seem like she's capable of making a game on par with Trioka/Black Isle? WTF guys?

I guess this qualifies as "good news" when compared to Dragon Age and yet-another-mother-fucking-fallout3-dlc.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
DriacKin said:
Lockkaliber said:
Good luck Mitsoda and Carlson! ITS is the new Black Isle.
What exactly has Annie done in her career to warrant a comparison to Black Isle?

And yet, you guys are making it seem like she's capable of making a game on par with Trioka/Black Isle? WTF guys?

See my old thread about Annie Carlson on what I think of her past achievements. Judging from her posts here though, she seems to know what a good RPG is about. Mitsodas past work speaks for itself, in my book at least. VD's comments seem to imply that this game is exactly the kind of game that the Codex would approve of, and I would take VD's word on game design as truth any day of the week. As for the BI comment, it just feels like ITS is getting its shit together quite nicely. There's more incline in ITS than in the rest of the industry combined.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
DriacKin said:
Lockkaliber said:

Selective reading? Reading disorder? Brain trauma? The possibilities are truly endless.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Vault Dweller said:
Shannow said:
Or in other words: Any indy game can turn out fine/vapourware. Whether industry veterans are involved or not.
Addition: Any game turn out fine/vaporware.

List of truth I found too obvious to mention.
Fixed

You bring out the pedant in me :oops:

Castanova

Prophet
Don't see much point in getting excited about this announcement. All we have are two names, one with some p good credits, one without. And a "trust me" from VD with respect to the design doc. Not to mention we're, what, three years away from seeing anything concrete on this project? If anything, the indie nature of this project makes me even more skeptical, considering the lowered probability this ever sees the light of day.

Should have announced something when they had something to announce, imo.

Avu

Liturgist
You do know that if all these ITS games get released we'll have to start worshiping VD with statues and human sacrifices and all. I think a Todd sacrifice would go well.

Vault Dweller said:
DriacKin said:
Lockkaliber said:

Selective reading? Reading disorder? Brain trauma? The possibilities are truly endless.

Not buying into the argument about Annie, but regarding Mitsoda, I'm one of those optomistic clowns that gets excited with regards to the best work a developer has done, rather than the worst. Just like I still get excited for an Avellone project because of PS:T no matter what he's done since, I think anything produced by the author of Bloodlines justifies at least some initial excitement.

And yes, before anyone says Molyneux and Specter - they've basically retired from 'serious' games. If Molyneux announced a spiritual sequal to Syndicate, I'd be as excited as ever.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter

A) They haven't announced anything yet besides the forming of a small indie studio, so calm down.

B) You're a big boy with some common sense, one assumes. When a designer posts "This is our game design, we want to share the idea with you and discuss it", you know exactly what the situation is, there isn't any hype or lies, no reason to act like this is a vaporware marketing announcement as people are being completely up-front. If you get over-excited, the mistake is yours. If you get overly critical, I can't see fucking why, it's not like Brian posted "The RPG Messiah has come, and he is I!!!". *

Take this for what it is, a designer preparing to share the design and ideas for a game they are getting ready to put into production. If you're not interested, don't pay attention until screens are shown. If you're interested in interacting with a designer in the initial stages of development, on a real, personal level, which I assume most RPG fans enjoy, then come chat. I understand the skepticism, but stating a preference for avoiding the opportunity for that interaction perplexes me. Am I writing in a forum where being the most sceptical and critical earns you cool points, or something?

*looks up at the URL*

Oh right.

* If he did we would have to dance-fight, since I lay claim to that title.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Castanova said:
We apologize for the inconvenience. I hope reading this announcement and posting a reply wasn't too much of a burden.

Stereotypical Villain said:
Overly defensive reaction detected.
Nah. The guy's a moron. He reads "Mitsoda and Annie" and goes on a rant about why people are excited about Annie, as if it wasn't obvious that everyone's excited about Brian, who is an old BIS and Troika veteran and a proven developer.

OgreOgre said:
Mitsoda making indie games? Wow, how the mighty have fallen.
Come on, Ogre. These days a developer has two options: go mainstream and do what he's told or go indie and do what he wants to do. He wants to make this game, he wants to make it turn-based, he wants it to have features that aren't mainstream-friendly. What other choice does he have? I respect the man for his willingness to take a risk and sacrifice for his vision, his ideas. Give him that much, if you aren't willing to give him more.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DriacKin said:

DUMBFUCK.

DriacKin

Arbiter
From here:
Jaesun said:
FUCK YEAH! Brian and Annie. RPG powers activate!
And Here:
Fat Dragon said:
Damn, Mitsoda and Annie are working on a game. Awesome news.
And Here:
Barrow_Bug said:
Well if Annie's working on it, that chages everything!

BTW, that wasn't sarcasm. Fuck I hate the internet sometimes.

Clearly, nobody here is excited about Annie's presence on this project.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I didn't say that nobody was excited about Annie, but the BIS/Troika comments that puzzled you so much were about Brian.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Great news. When it comes to characters and writing, Bloodlines comes pretty damn close to the quality of Torment. Best of luck to the people at DoubleBear.

Mortmal

Arcane
DriacKin said:
Lockkaliber said:

I was thinking that as well, they bash gaider all the time, but praise her altough zehir wasnt any better. Well obviously the codex "hivemind" is strongly biased towards cute blondes ;).

I think i remember a post of annie she wanted to do some rpg in a completely alien setting, could it be that game ?

Will this postapocalyptic game be based on our world or some completely alien, sci fi, ground breaking setting ?
Its certainly a good new but i better wait to see and know more or ill be disapointed again like for that afterfall game.

bat_boro

Arcane
So, are they working on the game full-time or part-time, a-la VD?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Blackadder said:
I am sure there are a couple of other Obsidian refugees about here. Perhaps they could jump on board as well.

Please no. With the kind of games Obsidian is/was making they should better stick within their very own league - with Bioware and Bethesda.

Mitsoda can write interesting text at least. I'm not sure about the gameplay design. Also they should make it a TB party RPG unlike other 3 vapourware ITS games for once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom