Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Thimbleweed Park: A New Ron Gilbert Classic Point & Click Adventure

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Phone book and voicemail message
Posted by Ron Gilbert & Gary Winnick

Welcome new backers! And old backers! Not that I'm saying you're old, just that you might not be one of the new backers. I mean you might be old and that's OK too... Hmmmm, now I'm just screwing things up... Let's try that again...

Thanks to everyone for all the amazing support. It's great to know so many people love pixels as much as we do and it's thrilling to know we're going to get to make you the best damn adventure game we can.

9fea170194bbd7e8bc41acbd53d2cce8_large.png

Quick question: what could be cooler than having your name in the Thimbleweed Park phonebook, used for actual puzzle solving? If your answer is “nothing”, then you’d be wrong.

For this action packed sixth update, we’re announcing that anyone who backs at $50 or higher will not only get their name in the Thimbleweed Park phone book (used for actual puzzle solving), but you’ll also be able to record your own custom voicemail message when the number is called.

Imagine the thrill of looking your name up, calling the number and hearing your own voice asking players to leave a message. Let your creative juices out and be as funny or serious as you want*. That’s the Thimbleweed Park way!

The phone book and the personal voicemail message are a Kickstarter exclusive. It will not be offered again. Operators are standing by.

Several people have asked if it's OK to have the name of a family member appear in the phone book, rather than their own. That's 100% OK. When the project ends and we're ready to compile to phone book, a survey will be sent out asking for the name and instructions for sending the voicemail. The voicemail is completely optional. If you don't provide one, the phone will just ring and ring and ring and ring.

We'll be doing the voicemail message, even if the Talkies™ stretch goal isn't achieved. But of course it will! We're positive thinkers. I know we can. I know we can. I know we can.

* All voicemail messages are subject to our approval.

P.S. Thanks to commenter Matthias B for suggesting this.

I think that's kind of a neat thing. It's definitely unique.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
that "absolution of guilt" reward.... where's mah paypal button, thimbleweed park?

Jammet

Barely Literate
Hello :). I've just joined rpgcodex. Nice meeting you all.

I am all over Thimbleweed Park, but the last few days I'm practically just ... trying to pull myself together waiting for that PayPal button that was said to be there once the game is funded. But. Isn't it funded already? Am I misinterpreting this and they want to actually wait until the entire 30 days are up? But-but ... I wanna get into the phone book. And ... and I also wanna have a voice message. Kinda had the idea for that myself before another commenter brought it up.

Am I doomed to just have to wait until I can't get that anymore? Today Ron wrote that only backers who back during the kickstarter process will get to have that voice message feature. So -- does this lock me out? Huaaeelp!

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
You really won't, because people judge the shit out of your game solely on graphics. They really do. And while good graphics are nice to look at, man, some games are pretty to look at but play like absolute shit as a game.

Bt

And let's guess which of the two would sell more, after all... :D

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I am all over Thimbleweed Park, but the last few days I'm practically just ... trying to pull myself together waiting for that PayPal button that was said to be there once the game is funded. But. Isn't it funded already? Am I misinterpreting this and they want to actually wait until the entire 30 days are up? But-but ... I wanna get into the phone book. And ... and I also wanna have a voice message. Kinda had the idea for that myself before another commenter brought it up.

Am I doomed to just have to wait until I can't get that anymore? Today Ron wrote that only backers who back during the kickstarter process will get to have that voice message feature. So -- does this lock me out? Huaaeelp!

Hello and welcome. Try to tweet just that directly to Ron if you haven't already: https://twitter.com/grumpygamer

Don't have a tweeter account? Then go make one!

Astral Rag

Arcane

https://twitter.com/grumpygamer/status/540184463808802816

Your prayers have been answered already thanks to the awesome powers of The Codex :obviously:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update #7

PayPal! PayPal! PayPal!
Posted by Ron Gilbert & Gary Winnick

Sorry it's take so long to get the PayPal link up. Lot of little details and paperwork and permits and hearings and quorum votes. Running a Kickstarter is all about the backstabbing and politics. It's like an episode of House of Cards.

If you can back through Kickstarter, we kindly ask you to do that, but if you can't, please click on our highly clickable Humble Bundle PayPal link.

b97969f18ce9afd8d327eade98734fd0_large.png

SuicideBunny
Jammet

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
aaand backed. if this turns out to be another ba, i'm going postal.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
An interview with IndieGames: http://indiegames.com/2014/12/ron_gilbert_and_gary_winnick_o.html

It's more or less a recap of the AdventureGamers interview, but this is always music to my ears:

Ron: I miss verbs. A few years after Monkey Island, verbs started disappearing. All we were left with was "use," but it always felt like something was missing. You get additional puzzle solving and humor opportunities through verbs. I don't think they will have a big comeback--there are downsides to them--but in doing a true classic point & click game, I think we need them.

And about the engine, and adventure games Ron recently played:

It also seems that you will be using a proprietary engine and not something ready-made like AGS or Wintermute. Why?

Ron: I think I'm a game engine snob. Using other people's engines always frustrates me because they inevitably can't do something I want, and I start tearing into them trying add features. In the end, I've just found it easier to write my own engine.

[...]

Finally, how do you see adventure games today? Have you played any of the recent releases?

Ron: Games like Kentucky Route Zero and The Stanley Parable are excellent games. Neither are true point and click adventures, but they are an evolution of the genre that's fun to see. For me, if I'm designing an adventure game, I want it to be true point & click, but I enjoy playing them all.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well what do we have here? A classic p'n'c adventure? By Ron Gilbert? Is he trying to one up our Lord and Saviour Tim Schafer? :troll:

Was considering backing until I saw that an actually important feature, voiceovers is a stretch goal which comes after the phone/tablet version. Fuck the tablet version. I will wait until the last day. If they make the VO stretchgoal, I'll back it.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin
How come you can say that when the game you defend the most is a phone/tablet game?

EDIT:

Oh, I understand, J_C, you wanted it to be a tablet/phone game from the get go, not a stretch goal.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How come you can say that when the game you defend the most is a phone/tablet game?

EDIT:

Oh, I understand, J_C, you wanted it to be a tablet/phone game from the get go, not a stretch goal.
If you would put your reading comprehension skills into use, you would understand what I wrote. Basicly just the opposite what you implied. I wrote that my problem is that the phone/tablet streachgoal is BEFORE the voiceacting. I couldn't care less about the phone version, it should be the very last.

Divinity: Original Sin

EDIT:

If you would put your reading comprehension skills into use, you would understand what I wrote. Basicly just the opposite what you implied. I wrote that my problem is that the phone/tablet streachgoal is BEFORE the voiceacting. I couldn't care less about the phone version, it should be the very last.

I understood, but I was extrapolating...:D

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

EDIT:

I understood, but I was extrapolating...:D
Enough people are hurting me, why do you torture meeeee??????!!!!

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I don't want voice acting, nor the modern music they implied. This shit should work from the get go under ScummVM using MIDIs or Chiptunes. :rpgcodex:

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Well, they listened to J_C's feedback and switched the IOS/Android and Voice acting stretch goals.

ae850eddefe0cc2d1e2a6991bd5f8e8a_large.gif

Also.... Screens!

125a26ca3ef0160241554441b8bf2651_large.gif

e8f36d6e85cb656b43f9e2a144f8cb7d_large.gif

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom