Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief VS Deus Ex

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

:M

• Thou shalt regret thine voting, you taffer! For the Builder! (Thief)

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • I prefer my gaming to be of a more augmented nature (Deus Ex)

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • so i herd master chief is like totally incredible and halo is awsome (KC)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 11480

So, based on a discussion that happened in another thread, I've decided to ask this for teh kodex: Thief or Deus ex, which is better and why?

Both games follow a very similar philosophy regarding some aspects, such as level design and the different approaches to a single problem. Also, at least IMO they're the best games ever created using first person perspective (well, and Blood too).

Discuss !!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Heretic.

The Builder and Helios SMITE THEE!

You do not compare masterpieces. In different genres no less.

MetalCraze

Arcane
This is an incredibly shitty poll that makes no sense.

The OP is a giant faggot and should kill himself.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Personally Thief 2 is my favourite, but Deus Ex is also awesome and does different aspects better. Yeah, in the most general sense both are sneaky FPS games, but Deus Ex has stats, dialogues with choices and the gameplay is also different because Thief is all about stealing stuff and not being seen while Deus Ex isn't (and doesn't even require stealth because with good weapon skills you can play it like a shooter).

bhlaab

Erudite
Thief 1 gets really bad about halfway through and Thief 2's last couple of missions aren't great either.

nFn

Educated
I prefer Thief because I played it first
and I give it bonus points for dying before going full retard

nFn

Educated
Spellcaster said:
Thief4Header.jpg

DAMN YOU!
ignorance was bliss

CrimHead

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
This is an incredibly shitty poll that makes no sense.

The OP is a gigantic faggot and should kill himself.

Slight fix but overall p. good :thumbsup:

But seriously, OP, incomparable games are incomparable.

Somenewfag said:
Thief is better in every aspect
Hell it's even better RPG than Deus Ex

446px-Samuel_Johnson_by_Joshua_Reynolds_2.png

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
You never fell down the ledge to the lava in the lost city when garret is saying (very calmly) "It's a long way down".

Some comedic genius right there.

Klaz

Scholar
The real question is... The Nameless Mod, or Thief Fan Missions? I'd choose TNM, because it does some really clever stuff with the Deus Ex engine. Thief FMs are cool too, but they crash frequently (In my computer, at least).

Suchy

Arcane
Completely different games. Thief is a well done sneaking game, while Deus Ex is a well done RPG/FPS hybrid. That said, Deus Ex is just way more interesing to play. Better story (and its presentation), C&C and gameplay mechanics, while Thief starts and ends on sneaking around.

Data4

Arcane
Thief was brought up in that DX thread simply because T3 and DX:IW use the same engine. Thief used it to greater effect. Beyond that, you might as well be comparing Pac Man to Galaga.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I love Thief 1/2 and Deus Ex a lot. I'm gonna have to go with Deus Ex on this one though, because I remember when I first played Thief I got lost in levels for hours and it got really frustrating.

TG_M9_map_PAGE001.jpg

Yeah, really nice map, guys. That really helps.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Just in - you have to have good geospacial awareness to play thief.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Data4 said:
Thief was brought up in that DX thread simply because T3 and DX:IW use the same engine. Thief used it to greater effect. Beyond that, you might as well be comparing Pac Man to Galaga.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Reconite said:
I love Thief 1/2 and Deus Ex a lot. I'm gonna have to go with Deus Ex on this one though, because I remember when I first played Thief I got lost in levels for hours and it got really frustrating.

TG_M9_map_PAGE001.jpg

Yeah, really nice map, guys. That really helps.

That's precisely why Thief was a better game, faggot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom