Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief Gold or Thief 2

Which one?

• Thief Gold/The Dark Project

Votes: 73 71.6%
  • Thief 2: The Metal Age

Votes: 51 50.0%
  • NuThief (KC)

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Total voters

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've been thinking a bit more about this...why the need for a soundtrack in a first person stealth game?
Maybe it's because LG didn't feel the game was moody or atmospheric enough as it was? Thief 1 was dripping with atmosphere without the need for a soundtrack, but the setting was different. While T2's setting is much more mundane, with no caves or ruins, and no undead or haunted cathedrals. And the various critters often provided ambient sound on their own, while in T2 it's just human guards and robots and not much more.

So the whole setting of T2 is more lifeless. And I assume LG felt they had to liven it up with soundtracks, soundtracks that IMO are misplaced and to me at least lessens the sense of immersion.

EDIT: If T1 had a soundtrack it was so subtle that I didn't notice it enough for it to annoy me.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
What in the actual fuck are you talking about? Thief 1 had a soundtrack. The track from Assassins is still ingrained in my mind.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Did a test. In Thief 1 you can lower the volume of the soundtrack by lowering the ambient sound. There will still be some sound, but it's lower than "real" sound effects, like footsteps and guards coughing and such. So it isn't annoying or immersion breaking.

In T2 OTOH the soundtrack is just as loud as the other sounds even if turning down ambient sound levels.
Also, the soundtrack itself is closer to actual music (from what I've sampled so far at least) and thus less subtle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom