Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Theory: Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the isometric Skyrim

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Hrrmph. Like the OP, I've given this another chance to see if I can get into it (also because I probably will buy BG3 when it's finished, and I might as well finish this game, as their last big effort). As someone who enjoyed DOS, I've tried (like Porky) to get into this a few times, to the point that Fort Joy became so tiresome that I didn't try it again for along time. But I recently thought maybe one of the overhaul mods might get me into it - I hate the armor system and the combat generally always felt un-flowing, so I definitely don't like the game exactly as the developers envisioned it, but maybe the other parts of the game might be able to shine if I can find a mod that makes the combat tolerable.

And indeed, Divinity Unleashed does in fact make the combat more tolerable, by (among many other things) changing the 2 armors from what were effectively extra health bars you had to tediously pummel through, into resistance armors. This makes combat flow better to some extent, but I think the classes would have to be redesigned to really accommodate it properly. The other huge overhaul mod, Epic Encounters, does redesign the classes to accommodate its tweaks, so that's probably better. And there's another big overhaul mod that's newer that seems to completely change the classes and gameplay (Conflux or something). But at this point I've done enough modding and just want to play the game.

So with DU, I'm having a better time with the game this time round. Marginally. At least to the point that I want to get past fucking Fort Joy and the initial environs, and I haven't yet lost the will to live. But I still agree with Porky's assessments (apart from his retarded complaints about the camera, fucking isometricist luddites :) ). There's something just tacky about the way the combat looks and feels, tacky and overblown. Like those goofy stances characters get into to do their abilities, and the annoying sound fx and the obscuring special fx. Tacky and unconnected, disjointed. Really hard to put my finger on it mechanically or in terms of what's wrong with the design, but those are the "feel" words that come to mind. And the tone is really off. Where with DOS the dumb Larian humour somehow worked, with this game the tone is all over the place, with truly grisly shit and the better, more grimdark aspects of the story being treated lightheartedly sometimes, not at other times. It's strange.

Just on the "obscuring special fx" point, it was interesting to note the difference between Deadfire (which I'm having an enjoyable playthrough of simultaneously) and this. With Deadfire, Obsidian clearly took note of the complaints about visual soup from the first game, and it has to be said they did a wonderful job of balancing having spectacular, pretty fx while still having everything be visually readable. By contrast, this is just a visual mess. I hate that retarded outlining they have in many of these games, but this game really needs it, there's so much obscuring crap on screen.

I should say though that there's a mod to give Buddy and Emmie (the sad dog story) a happy ending, and that's what I'm currently obsessed with (some sort of item that you have to make and charge with Source) :) :shittydog:

Last edited:
So basically you had to install a few (hundred eventually...) mods to even be able to play it. And that's the most fun you've had with the game. It's exactly like SKYRIM!

JasonNH

Augur
I should say though that there's a mod to give Buddy and Emmie (the sad dog story) a happy ending, and that's what I'm currently obsessed with (some sort of item that you have to make and charge with Source) :) :shittydog:

Mod co-author here. I hope this little garnish on the story makes getting through Fort Joy a little more rewarding. :)

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Mod co-author here. I hope this little garnish on the story makes getting through Fort Joy a little more rewarding. :)

I am unworthy *bows down* :) Yeah, it's a great wee mod - thanks for your efforts!

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Yes, but not for the reasons from the OP. They are similar and completely apart from other RPGs (both action and tactical RPGs), for their superior interactivity with the environment.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Finished it - best quest ever; that piano at the end lol

I wonder if there's any way of making any more of those doodads and sourcing them and freeing the other puppers :) You could have a whole tail-end (geddit? :) ) sub-quest, free all the source hounds :)

JasonNH

Augur
Finished it - best quest ever; that piano at the end lol

I wonder if there's any way of making any more of those doodads and sourcing them and freeing the other puppers :) You could have a whole tail-end (geddit? :) ) sub-quest, free all the source hounds :)

Great! I had to pay tribute somehow to Kirill in there and the music felt very fitting to me. The original idea was to offer similar quest re-writes for some of the other animals but that one took me long enough and I decided to pursue other projects. I do still smile whenever returning to the Lady Vengeance after that quest though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom