Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

theatre of war 2

chzr

Erudite
just saw it on steam.

anyone played it? looking at gameplay vidyas it sort of looks like sudden strike meets men of war wrapped in company of heroes graphix.

so - good/bad, long/short, how's the realism? and can the game be compared to above mentioned games?

Erzherzog

Magister
I'm interested to hear too, but with there being a sale for all Theater of War fora mere 11.25? I might as well just buy the damn game without a review and hope I'm not disappointed.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Theatre of War series is great. The first one is a bit of headscratcher with the briefings often being obscure and it's often difficult to figure out your goal resulting in failing missions through no fault of your own. Theatre of War 2 and Theatre of War 2: Kursk do a better job.

They are not really comparable to Sudden Strike, never mind CoH. In a way Men of War is the closest to it from what the OP listed but for me the most correct comparison would be the Combat Mission series and the Close Combat series.

The game is very realistic, with morale, ricochets, different levels of armor penetration for vehicles etc. It really is like a Pausable Real-Time version of Combat Mission with much smoother controls, interface and of course nice looking graphics.

AI can be pretty tough, and some maps are pretty unbalanced resulting in constant death until you get lucky, and I mean lucky as sometimes you'll have to cross a field with your tanks and you'll just have to pray that the AT guns have a lot of misses or non-penetrating shot hits in order to get the upper hand.

It's cool though to see tanks just immobilized and the crews getting out and running rather than everything exploding unrealistically(unless you have a real heavy caliber weapon or hit in the fuel or ammo compartment.

Exmit

Scholar
Theatre of war 3 Korea is out !

Getting it right now , seems awesome

Korea war ! Finaly a game in the Korean conflict

Dynamic campaign FUCK YEA ! nothing is scripted and the replayability of the singleplayer is unmatched now.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
commie said:
They are not really comparable to Sudden Strike, never mind CoH. In a way Men of War is the closest to it from what the OP listed but for me the most correct comparison would be the Combat Mission series and the Close Combat series.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't "Theater of War II" a older sister of "Soldiers: HoWW II", "Faces of War", "Men of War" done by the same studio with pretty much the same awesome gameplay?

Anyway, ToW3 ABOUT FUCKING TIME!

Well I'd say it's pretty good with great attention to details and good modeling of vehicle armor/penetration etc, however some missions can be frustratingly hard like I'm my attempted LP of it I'm currently stuck on a mission that just raped me over and over. Another weak (well at least for me) is the amount of micromanagement often required so succeed especially as pathing AI can sometime be a bit nonsensical.

Between Tow2: Kursk and Africa I would say that Africa absolutley is the better one of the two due to smaller amounts of units in the missions which lets manage it as well at it deserves as well as more varied missions, assaulting a well dug in enemy in trenches gets a bit repetitive after a while.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
WhiskeyWolf said:
commie said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't "Theater of War II" a older sister of "Soldiers: HoWW II", "Faces of War", "Men of War" done by the same studio with pretty much the same awesome gameplay?

Anyway, ToW3 ABOUT FUCKING TIME!

No, it's newer than Soldiers and Faces of War and it's more like a strategy game like Combat Mission, rather than a more 'heroic' style of RTS with stealth missions, defences against the odds etc. on a smaller scale like the others. Theatre of War series are more 'dry' and realistic. The others are made by Best Way and the TOW series are by 1C using their Il-2 Sturmovik engine.

Merkwürdigliebe said:
Between Tow2: Kursk and Africa I would say that Africa absolutley is the better one of the two due to smaller amounts of units in the missions which lets manage it as well at it deserves as well as more varied missions, assaulting a well dug in enemy in trenches gets a bit repetitive after a while.

Well Kursk is about...er Kursk, where it was basically a battle against hardened defenses. I know what you mean though. Caen and Centauro are also good mission packs. I especially like Centauro as youhardly ever get to play as a non-German Axis force in Europe, and their shitty tanks and weapons take a bit of getting used to and are 'fresh' compared to the boring old Sherman's and Tigers and T-34's.

As for ToW3, it's very good so far. Cautiously advancing with my T-34's against the imperialist lackeys on behalf of the Dear Leader! Love the Russians for having the balls to release campaigns for the 'good guys' rather than just the US side these days. Can't wait for the Vietnamese campaign in the next Men of War either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom