Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The World of Western RPGs (epic historical overview)

dagorkan

Arbiter
They call it 'Western' 'cos they'd done an early one on Jap "RPGs":

http://www.mobygames.com/featured_artic ... ction,207/

Pretty good, better than that last one at GameBanshee, less rambling and more complete. Can't think of any games they forgot.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
As is expected, the early to mid 90s section is the widest.

As it should be.

It was the best time of RPGs.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
The biggest problem of the new-born German nation in the 19th century was exactly the lack of mythic roots. So they made up those roots. Whereas the Jews for example have very strong mythic roots that go back to to the creation of the universe.

S_Verner

Scholar
Jaime Lannister said:
The biggest problem of the new-born German nation in the 19th century was exactly the lack of mythic roots. So they made up those roots. Whereas the Jews for example have very strong mythic roots that go back to to the creation of the universe.

They made those up also.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
dagorkan said:
Can't think of any games they forgot.
planet's edge and whale's voyage 1+2, for example, which is too bad because pe was quite nice, and there should be more sf rpgs in its vein.. whale's voyage had a few interesting elements as well, though it wasn't that good. dang, wv's complete underdog status makes me wish i had kept the original cds...

still a pretty good list.

edit:
Countless Diablo clones:
* Divine Divinity (2002)

What are these games? They are horrible uninspired games that probably only a few gamers will play.
fuck you.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Cloaked Figure said:
why did AoD not get a mention in the indie section?
it did, i assume, indirectly, when he said the most promising indie rpgs are still in development.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Jaime Lannister said:
Spooky, I was reading an essay on exactly that topic just yesterday. How Nazi war-time 'propaganda' attempted (consciously?) to mirror the Biblical tales, as seen through movie production, but that they failed to find any original myth. The entire point of the war, from an ideological point of view, was the "thousands of year" Reich, but nobody (including Hitler) could come up with genuine motivation or the necessary shift in imagination to found a new civilization. The neo-Aryan, Odinist stuff was an attempt but was not taken seriously, even Hitler didn't believe in it and it didn't penetrate into the population at large. Hitler was a practical politician, not a visionary and WW2 Germany remained too 'German' (rooted in classical, Western European traditions) - and that's why they lost.

Very interesting.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
dagorkan said:
Jaime Lannister said:
Spooky, I was reading an essay on exactly that topic just yesterday. How Nazi war-time 'propaganda' attempted (consciously?) to mirror the Biblical tales, as seen through movie production, but that they failed to find any original myth. The entire point of the war, from an ideological point of view, was the "thousands of year" Reich, but nobody (including Hitler) could come up with genuine motivation or the necessary shift in imagination to found a new civilization. The neo-Aryan, Odinist stuff was an attempt but was not taken seriously, even Hitler didn't believe in it and it didn't penetrate into the population at large. Hitler was a practical politician, not a visionary and WW2 Germany remained too 'German' (rooted in classical, Western European traditions) - and that's why they lost.

Very interesting.

Just wondering if thats a personal opinion or te opinion of some historians. I have read quite a few articles and books on the war and the most prominent reasoning for the failure of the Wehrmacht can be boiled down to these:
1. Hitler's insistence to meddle and change strategy overiding the intelligent experienced decisionmaking of military officers for his own ego and personal granduer. For example by strationing Rommel well off the map during the Normandy invasion, Rommel had no chance to act for a couple of days after the Allied landings. Rommel had planned massive armored and artillery counterattacks immediately upon the landings, but Hitler held him back for about two days...If Rommel had his way, the Allied forces would have been swept back into the ocean.(luckily they were not)

2. The change in the overall strategic goal of Blitzkreig swift assault and gain more ground as quickly as possible, to encirclement and slow seige on Russian cities. The failure at Stalingrad saved the Russian military and prevented the Wehrmacht from reaching Moscow. Stalin was about to off himself hiding in the Urals when his officers came to see him, he thought they were coming to kill him. If the Germans would have continued to chug to Moscow, Stalin might not have even survived by his own doing.

It was not the lack of industrial resources or raw materials for their downfall. Stalingrad could have been lightly encircled, and held in a slow seige by artillery by only a small fraction of the troops wasted on it. The rest of Army groups A & B could have rolled in a direct spearhead to Moscow using proven tactics with proven results. The russian armies would have backtracked to protect Moscow, and similar encirclements to the one in Stalingrad could have been enacted on the rest of the cities as the russian military-industrial complex would have moved all of their operations behind the Urals. It would have been a very long seige to hold over Moscow, with the Russians fighting from the Urals after Moscow would have eventually capitulated. Wit all the gains from the Cacauses and cities, the Wehrmacht woud have been fighting a garrisoned guerrilla war against Russians attacking from the East. If Hitler had some sense, he woul dhave been in communications with the Japanes long before to get them to invade Russian through either Siberia or China. With a press from the east, the Russians would not have been able to hold up nearly as well as they did. A German-Japanese pincer movement would have sealed the Russian front much quicker.
As to the Normandy invasion, Hitler should not have intervened and let Rommel command as he was originally intended to do. Rommel would have launched tank assault and artillery counters along the Normandy coasts pulverizing the freshly landed troops back into the water. The Normandy invasion would have failed. Europe and Russia and parts of Asia would have been under the Nazi and Imperial Japanese yolk. It is possible that England would have been invaded later, or just forced to pay tribute. It is most likely it would have taken til the 80s or 90s for Europe and Russia to be free. It would have been a Nazi-Japanese cold war with the U.S. and U.K.

As to the level of belief in the Germanic traditions, Himmler was a massive proponent of the belief systems along with the SS. It was they that spearheaded the ideological viewpoint of the military-political complex. Himmler himself travelled to Tibet searching for the Aryan originator link. They also had a large garrison and occultists stationed with the "Spear of Longinus", the same spear with which Charlemagne conquered most of Europe,until the Allies and Patton overan the fortress and funny enough the tide of the war really turned at that point whence the Germans were winning almost non-stop, but after that event the losses piled up and the tide turned.
There is also some writings concerning Nazi sponsored occultists recruited to attempt to alter the weather during the Battle of the Bulge to prevent Allied air flights.
So there belief in the tradtions, mythologies, and occult was great indeed.
I don't see any sources citing lack of faith in Nazi myth-cultural ideology as being any type of prime ingredient in the overall failure.

However, we can all be glad tha indeed Hitler's influence proved to be the end just as he started that era.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Re: first points

On the more basic level I agree with you, the way this essay put it is that the Nazis lacked a general strategy. My argument is that this was symptomatic of an underlying lack of belief in the future. If you have a population which believes in itself it will produce the people necessary to win the war/spread the belief system or simply survive.

That was the greatness of the Hebrew civilization... they weren't particularly advanced, their land was poor, they didn't have a military tradition, they were second rate in every sense (materially, scientifically, culturally) in the Ancient World but they survived thousands of years with the same identity after the Sumerians, Babylonians, Phoenicians, Lydians, Persians etc, or all the Greek kingdoms of Alexander's successors which only lasted a few centuries at the most.

If you are going to found a unique civilization and transform the world then you need some revolutionary concept that will last that long. If you can't propose that kind of civilizational project and get people to believe in it you are not going to win a war over any extended period of time. If you're going to go to war with half the world it's not enough to have the industrial or military advantage, you need to be able to justify it and justify it better than your rivals.

Re: the level of actual belief in 'Aryanism'

The essay I read was a study of Nazi films. I haven't watched them myself (though I plan to) so I have to assume that the analysis is correct and is not pushing it's own propaganda. According the synopses it certainly seems that the Germans of the time were very ordinary people with the same kinds of interests as us, there is no indication that they were interested in the war or in mythological history.

In fact the argument is that there was less propaganda in German WW2 movies than in Hollywood today. Less violence, less glorification of institutions (in contrast to American military/cop movies), most were set in the present and were typically romantic comedies involving love triangles and ironic themes. And surprisingly no portrayal of anti-semitism in the dozen or so movies reviewed (assuming they're representative).

The active segments of the nazi party obviously would have contained more Odinists but how influential were they really? Were the operations such as in Tibet just a case of Hitler giving token support to part of his base, the way modern Republican presidents have to pander to Creationists or Democrats pretend to believe in more catastrophic predictions of global warming? Did the 90%+ of the German population not involved in politics see themselves as part of a project, or did they just see themselves as doing their jobs thus detaching from what their leaders did? Given such an apathetic/acquiescent population would there be any point in pushing ideology on them, especially if you didn't fully believe in the ideology yourself?

In any case I've got to watch those movies and see for myself.

DefJam101

Arcane
I also have to mention that BioWare is probably the only development studio in the world that considers spending most of the marketing process on hyping up the dialogue of the game is a good idea. That makes them the good guys.

:?

With Mass Effect BioWare tried to tell a heroic adventure story in the most extreme way as possible. As can be seen, its cinematic quality is undeniable. It is also the shortest BioWare game and the first RPG to have "extreme" facial expressions.

:lol:

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Pretty solid article. I was surprised at the amount of jabs at the Bioware school of storytelling, "Barbie" games and LARPing... never figured MobyGames would be on our side, for some reason, if only because I've never really been certain what the point in them is. But in any case, it was a good read, and I'll probably revisit the article when I start seriously delving into pre-1995 RPGs.

Raapys

Arcane
Beans00 said:
They forgot the Ishares :(

You might wonder why I do not mention Ishar as one of the most typical dungeon crawlers of the 90's. It is because Ishar sucks. Only masochists and sad people like Ishar.

Nice article though.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Apart from slight Bioware heresies the author has good cynical humor and could almost be a Codexer.

...IS HE??!

Beans00

Augur
Wyrmlord said:
Ishar is a horribly shitty game. It just...it just sucks.
I know, but it was one of the first games i played, when i was like 4 years old lol. it was shit though.

Rosh

Erudite
Ultima IV is also one of the few games in the 80's that is about the players themselves. If history was fair, then the entire genre would have tried to improve on the ideas of Ultima 4 and we would have much more advanced and thorough games now, but unfortunately history sucks. And so I ask from you readers to give a huge collective "fuck you!" to history. Thank you.

And then the X-Box came along.

Modern Age, our era. To be honest this era does not really bring any innovation when it comes to design. Sure the writing in general has improved, but the themes and stories of these games are pretty much the same as what has been present in the genre. The most significant thing about this era is that 2D is finally dead. RPGs have become 3D, including bloom effects and extreme facial expressions.

So, in context of the origins (no pun intended) of the genre, Bethesda hasn't done a fucking thing "revolutionary" or "next-gen" for the genre unless you count making their games as shiny, superficial, and brain dead as the fans who love them for calling their overhyped shit "revolutionary" and "next-gen".

(On Oblivion)
The second game to star Patrick Stewart as the kingly figure. Oblivion is the first Western RPG since Diablo to reach mainstream appeal. The reason behind it? It came out for consoles and console RPG players really had not seen anything like it before.

And so Bethesda could spoon-feed these retards anything they liked, and the console cattle worshipped their masters, the ex-coffee bitch of Bethesda and a PR chimp that makes the Bush administration look honest and forthright. They dumbed down the genre so that this is acceptable:

... Oblivion decided to randomize it all and thus proved that no A.I can indeed replace good old scripting. The Radiant A.I quite often delivers hilarious results when one decides to dig deeper than five seconds. But on the other hand, like Morrowind, Oblivion delivers a really beautiful, hand-crafted world (though less original than Morrowind) and has simplified the gameplay sufficiently to make it more of an experience than challenge.

And then finally...

In 1997, the Ultimate Awesomeness revealed the mystery of choices and consequences in Fallout. Aspects of this mystery already existed in the past, but with Fallout this mystery was given a name, a conciousness, a personality. It was given a life. In 1998, Ultimate Awesomeness revealed BioWare to the world, who would lead the genre in romances. In 1999, Ultimate Awesomeness revealed what writing in RPGs should be in Torment. Between 2001 and 2004, Ultimate Awesomeness again was too merciful towards humanity; it birthed Troika, but alas, again too much and too soon. In 2002, Ultimate Awesomeness decided to give success to Bethesda who would deal with the aspect of open-ended hand-crafted world and real-time combat, but in much simpler ways than it was done before.

Zeus

Cipher
Beans00 said:
Wyrmlord said:
Ishar is a horribly shitty game. It just...it just sucks.
I know, but it was one of the first games i played, when i was like 4 years old lol. it was shit though.

I contacted the author and he agreeded to add the following:

"Ishar was one of the first games Beans00 played, when he was like 4 years old."

Seriously though, that's a great article. I don't necessarily agree with all his points, but it's a nice trip down memory lane. And if you printed it out, it'd be between 80 and 100 pages long. Pretty impressive amount of work for someone just typing up posts on MobyGames.

made

Arcane
Too many awful jokes make the article a pain to read so I just skimmed over a few interesting games.

+ points for praising Ultima 7
- points for not praising Arcanum

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
dagorkan said:
Re: first points

On the more basic level I agree with you, the way this essay put it is that the Nazis lacked a general strategy. My argument is that this was symptomatic of an underlying lack of belief in the future. If you have a population which believes in itself it will produce the people necessary to win the war/spread the belief system or simply survive.

That was the greatness of the Hebrew civilization... they weren't particularly advanced, their land was poor, they didn't have a military tradition, they were second rate in every sense (materially, scientifically, culturally) in the Ancient World but they survived thousands of years with the same identity after the Sumerians, Babylonians, Phoenicians, Lydians, Persians etc, or all the Greek kingdoms of Alexander's successors which only lasted a few centuries at the most.

If you are going to found a unique civilization and transform the world then you need some revolutionary concept that will last that long. If you can't propose that kind of civilizational project and get people to believe in it you are not going to win a war over any extended period of time. If you're going to go to war with half the world it's not enough to have the industrial or military advantage, you need to be able to justify it and justify it better than your rivals.

Re: the level of actual belief in 'Aryanism'

The essay I read was a study of Nazi films. I haven't watched them myself (though I plan to) so I have to assume that the analysis is correct and is not pushing it's own propaganda. According the synopses it certainly seems that the Germans of the time were very ordinary people with the same kinds of interests as us, there is no indication that they were interested in the war or in mythological history.

In fact the argument is that there was less propaganda in German WW2 movies than in Hollywood today. Less violence, less glorification of institutions (in contrast to American military/cop movies), most were set in the present and were typically romantic comedies involving love triangles and ironic themes. And surprisingly no portrayal of anti-semitism in the dozen or so movies reviewed (assuming they're representative).

The active segments of the nazi party obviously would have contained more Odinists but how influential were they really? Were the operations such as in Tibet just a case of Hitler giving token support to part of his base, the way modern Republican presidents have to pander to Creationists or Democrats pretend to believe in more catastrophic predictions of global warming? Did the 90%+ of the German population not involved in politics see themselves as part of a project, or did they just see themselves as doing their jobs thus detaching from what their leaders did? Given such an apathetic/acquiescent population would there be any point in pushing ideology on them, especially if you didn't fully believe in the ideology yourself?

In any case I've got to watch those movies and see for myself.

Fascinating stuff you mention here, I need to read up on the occultist penetration into the German society some more myself. When it comes down to ideology, as a matter of history, the common person will always choose what is relevant in their daily lives over an overarching national belief system/mythology. Thats why nationalism is the closest you can get to a nationwide ideology, besides religion which is always present and can be ignited in many fashions. In the case of the nazi party, they tried to unite their cultural mythology/occultic traditions with nationalism. It worked to an extent but it probably did not seep thoroughly into the populace as much as revolutionary nationalism or religious crusadic militarism would.

It is still remarkable that on pure military terms both opposing forces were so evenly balanced, and that it took only a few-but extremely significant blunders to turn the tide of the struggle.

As far as civilizations/cultures lasting for millenia, the ones that last the longest are the ones united by religion. No political ideology, no monarchic dynasties, no empires lasted nearly as long as religious cultures. The Chinese and Egyptian dynasties were the only exceptions as they lasted as long as Christianity, but that is only because Christianities history has only started two millenia ago. Judaism, Bhuddism, and Hinduism have lasted longer.

Also, I will look into those films you mention and look up some more.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Slenkar said:
So the spear of destiny worked??
Giz

The fascinating thing is that the historical dates coincide with German victories whilst in possession of the Spear, and losses when it was captured. Coincidence and Synchronicity have ways of showing up at the most opportune and significant times in both world history and our own.
For example, the great Khan passed away just as the Golden Horde had pushed their way through Eastern Europe, getting through the defences of Poland and Hungary who were a bastion against the onslaught for years. The Mongolian Horde was months away from sweeping across Western Europe all the way to the English channel and conquering the whole continent. If that would have happened, history would have been completely unrecognizeable with a massive Mongolian Empire that stretched from Siberia/China to the English Channel. The Mongolians already had attacked Japan, they could have launched an attack on Britain as well. In effect the all of western civilization and culture was on the edge of being crushed. There was nothing to stop it except.....The passing of the Great Khan. When that happened the whole massive Horde stopped the advance, garrisoned up all the controlled territories in the West, and the majority of the army returned to the East.

So basically it just happened by chance that at the last minute Western civilization was saved....yet again. Just like when the pope said something to Atilla to prevent him from attacking Rome which was barely defended at the time his armies were swarming all over Italy and chasing Romans into the uninhabited marshes where they would eventually build the city of VEnice.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
KotOR I: there are people in the universe who do not know how to live - Jedis, Sith, etc... and so they fucked up the galaxy. It is up to the protagonist to kick a lot of butt, call a lot of people "You fucking blowjob!" and set things right. In the end it is up to him to give the fate of the galaxy back to the people (Light Side) or give the entire universe a huge fuck you and take control of the galaxy (Dark Side).

KotOR II: you take control of an empath who was forced to commit an atrocity in the war, which shattered and seriously fucked up her psyche. In the journeys of her life, she has gained the interest of a fellow empath with a similar teacher/healer background, who takes the role of a mentor for this poor, seriously fucked up empath chick. Through the travels with her mentor, she either finds life again (Light Side) or is forever lost in death (Dark Side).

These kind of differences I described are what distinguish Obsidian and BioWare even now.
:D

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
I sent him an email like five months back and told him about AoD, he just ignored that part and thanked me for my praise...
At least I really meant it... :?

That guy said:
As to lack of love for Gothic 2 and 3, I did try to defend Gothic 3, but a lot of times I just wrote a small note for the game with the intention to later write it out. But unfortunately I just forgot some games in the rush to get it done and Gothic's notes were those that I forgot to write out. I apologize. I love Gothic too, but I failed to fit Gothic in that pompous drunken view of history. But then again, it is a more humbler series than a lot of those other games and perhaps that's why I forgot it. But yeah, I screwed up and not just with Gothic, but I'm glad that people have managed to overlook the article's faults.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom