Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

One semi-munchkinish way of handling your casters is to go bard + 2 Bishops. Each bishop covering 2 schools and only 2 schools, so you have all 4 covered overall.

Bishops are good, but only if you restrict them to 2 schools. Trying to make them a jack-of-all-spells means that they get spells far too slowly to be useful. The handiness of having all 4 schools available within 2 casters is immense - mainly b/c you will never be short of a needed protection spell (mind shield, missile shield etc).

2-school bishops are slightly slower than straight-casters, but not so much as to counter their flexibility. The reason for including the bard is that it will guarantee you early access to haste and AoE sleep/stun/snare. Basically the bard buffs your casting for the early game, and by late game the combo of 2 2-school bishops rocks.

DraQ

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
One semi-munchkinish way of handling your casters is to go bard + 2 Bishops. Each bishop covering 2 schools and only 2 schools, so you have all 4 covered overall.

Bishops are good, but only if you restrict them to 2 schools. Trying to make them a jack-of-all-spells means that they get spells far too slowly to be useful. The handiness of having all 4 schools available within 2 casters is immense - mainly b/c you will never be short of a needed protection spell (mind shield, missile shield etc).

2-school bishops are slightly slower than straight-casters, but not so much as to counter their flexibility. The reason for including the bard is that it will guarantee you early access to haste and AoE sleep/stun/snare. Basically the bard buffs your casting for the early game, and by late game the combo of 2 2-school bishops rocks.
Fully munchkinish would be fighter, rogue, bard, gadgeteer and two bishops. Or
fighter rogue/bard and four casters.

Turok

Erudite
Wizardry 8

Someone help me to play this game, i mean some guide on how to make good caracters (dont send me to gamefaqs).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
search.jpg

Triskaedek

Novice
Hello.

As Jasede said, any party will do, as long as you adapt your play-style accordingly. This (wonderful) game is still pretty forgiving when compared to precedent Wizardries, so really pick the races/classes that appeal to you, you'll always be able to enjoy the game -actually, you'll be able to enjoy it again and again with a different set of characters each time, and quite a different experience.

Have fun.

Andhaira

Arcane
Good Party:

Fighter (go dracon)
Samurai
ninja or ranger or monk
wizard
cleric
Bard or Gageteer or alchemist

Fun party (but slightly advanced)
Samurai
Samurai
Ninja
Monk
Wizard
Wizard

You will rape the game eventually.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
You can also do what theverybigslayer did.

Go for all Ninjas.

He started with them as a normal party in Wizardry 6, multiclassed it all the way through 6 and 7, ended up with Ninjas, and put them in 8 so he could kick his way through.

Six people who can do kirijutsus, hide, and cast spells are an effectively dangerous people.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Speaking of Ninjas, I wonder if shuriken Ninjas would work. I don't recall finding that many shurikens, so I'm afraid that I might run out of them.

Black

Arcane
They're somewhat rare but pretty goodm especially Death Stars. Also, there's Boomerang Shuriken that comes back.

Andhaira

Arcane
@Hobo Elf: I have nothing against bishops. Just don't find they have as much a wallop as Samurai. High crit death attacks FTW!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Jaesun said:
My next Wizardry play through will be an all Mook party.

:cool:
A party of faceless Wookies would indeed be cool.

Actually, Mooks are pretty good if you want to start out with simple base characters like Fighter, Mage, Priest, Thief, and then multiclass them into other special classes later on. Because they always are within a decent range for most simple classes and special classes. Most of all, you can easily get one of those Mooks to be a Psionic and an Alchemist.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Wyrmlord said:
Jaesun said:
My next Wizardry play through will be an all Mook party.

:cool:
A party of faceless Wookies would indeed be cool.

Actually, Mooks are pretty good if you want to start out with simple base characters like Fighter, Mage, Priest, Thief, and then multiclass them into other special classes later on. Because they always are within a decent range for most simple classes and special classes. Most of all, you can easily get one of those Mooks to be a Psionic and an Alchemist.

That and I could finally use that Mook only sword!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
And it also makes for lulzy backstories.

Like when I played an all dwarf party in Icewind Dale, I liked to think they were all twin brothers from the same clan and cave, who were sent on a little "walkabout".

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Shuriken/thrown weapon ninjas in Wizardry 8 are much, much better than melee ninjas. Ranged crits, auto-penetration, ranged dual-wield are way too much to pass up.

nomask7

Arcane
Pretty much everything is explained in-game. I'm using a variation of the usual fighter, thief, wizard, priest, ranger formula. I'm playing my first game using Iron Man on normal difficulty level. I'm currently on the way to Arnika. Since I have six characters, I'm using two fighters instead of one. I chose a Valkyrie as my other fighter to add some spice, and gadgeteer instead of thief. The Valkyrie takes care of artifacts (high artifact skill), the priest and mage focus entirely on magic, each focusing on three or four types of magic, with some limited ability to cast spells of a fourth or fifth type. The priest has to be able to act as soon as the round begins, so I'm using some points for speed instead of piety and intelligence. The ranger takes care of spotting monsters and things.

Black

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Gadgeteers kick the shit out of all the other thieving characters
Yeah, Gadgeteers are awesome. Pic related.
wiz8v124nocd20090412021.png

But I don't agree. Thieves are the best "thieving" characters. Great frontlines, shitload of damage, hard to hit (harder than fully armoured warrior) and with 2x thieves dagger they rape the shit out of everything.

DraQ

Arcane
Turok said:
Wizardry 8

Someone help me to play this game, i mean some guide on how to make good caracters (dont send me to gamefaqs).
Man up and don't be a faggot.

If you really feel the need to, you can post your party build for a review *after* you come up with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom