Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Dorateen

Arcane
These comments made me go back and find the Wizardry 8 notebook I kept. On March 23, 2002, we "paid a visit to old Barlone". I'm not sure what level the characters were, but this was an imported party from Crusaders.

Our pure mage almost single-handedly took care of Calzone with Crush and Dehydrate spells, then finished the rattkin off with another Crush. The Bishop used Superman on our party's fairy ninja and ranger. It was the ranger who finally took down Barlone once and for all.

Good battle.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
The rat is pretty tough with lvl10 party. Best bet is summoning canned elelmntal and hope it's an air one. Others tend to miss him a lot. Air elementals can handle him single handedly if you get lucky.

Those solutions requiere more varied team than mine... Now I'm camping near Crock's shop in waiting for Superman spellbook to be bought, summons IIRC belong to alchemy so my ninja propably will learn it soon.

Despite common opinion this game is much harder than Wiz7, in which I could steamroll through everything on expert.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
You summons will be weak as hell with your low level ninja at this point. They won't do a scratch to Barlone. This is why we specifically said ''canned'' elemental as in the one that you can find in red vials through out the game. They give level 6 elementals if i remember well. Although you can as well camp around swamp, grind your party and come back to rat later. He's probably the toughest mid-game foe.

I'll be back with 15 lvl party, I hope Cane of Corpus is worth all these effort like it was in Wiz7 when there was like bang-critical-bang-critical-bang-critical... especially since my ninja already has 99 points in crits.

Black

Arcane
Well, if you have a gadgeteer you can make a belt of superman. Electrodes can be bought in Arnika and the second part is in the wilderness monastery with all the cool death lords and such, except you don't have to actually fight any of them to get the belt.
Also, mages get summon elemental too.

Yeah, I finally killed Barlone and Milano on 12 lvl, with Armorplate, Guardian Angel buffs and Razor Cloak elixir. Done it three times before Don finally dropped Cane of Corpus.

Sadly, performance on Linux/Wine is terrible and Wizfast doesn't work either and now when run it on Windowz machine with Wizfast on I almost cried. I pity that for 99% of my free time I have access only to my Linux laptop :/

TigerKnee

Arcane
Doesn't Wizfast work by editing your config files? Can you run Wizfast on a Windows machine to get a tweaked Config file and then bring it over to Linux or do they both use completely different file systems?

I'm planning to do so, once I'm done with playing on this desktop PC I'll copy all the Wiz8 files to pendrive and then - to my laptop and try to run it under Wine. But even if it works, there'll be still a problem of game's terrible performance on 1,7 GHz processor with 2GB RAM even on low details.

Can you run Wizfast on a Windows machine to get a tweaked Config file and then bring it over to Linux

Tested it and it worked. Wizfast is amazing.

3DSetup.exe won't run on Linux but fortunately, I found that graphic renderer is changable via editing 3DVideo config file. Tested every possible one on Wine and...

1. OpenGL - won't even start
2. Glide - fucking slow, this was default setting
3. Software - fluent but glitchy
4. DirectX7 - perfect, good performance, no bugs etc. -> only way to go

PS. Cane of Corpus is even moar OP than in Crusaders of the Dark Savant. Before gaining it, my Fairy Ninja with 2 Rod of Spirits imported from Wiz7 was a pretty bad melee fighter, now he fucking rocks and spam criticals like madman and with 100 points of stealth, he is pretty much ignored by enemies during every battle. Now game became much easier. I intend to grind to around 20 lvl, main bosses including Savant are around 26 lvl so propably my FN will wipe them out as easily as he had done with Beast of a Thousand Eyes and Fiend of 9 Worlds in previous title.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
The game "expects" you to finish the game at around level 26 anyway, 26 being the last level gadgeteers get their omnigun upgrade.

Where are those Vampire Bats? I need their wings to make Vampire Chain and met only a couple in Upper Tryton, Mt. Gigas caves are empty so far... is this weapon even worth a effort since I already have Cane of Corpus for Ninja and Maenad's Lance for Valkyrie?

And I've encountered serious bug, I'm doing quest for Umpani and done training course as first one so commander ordered me to bring evidence of T'Rang's presence, I found T'Rang hand but now, when trying to deliver it that fukken commander claims that I haven't completed training course yet! I checked the diary and it's true, geam finds training quest as uncompleted... any way to fix it? It prevents me from finishing Umpani/T'Rang alliance path... or I'll just finish T'Rang route for immershun purposes (finished Wiz7 on alien spiders' side).

Last edited:

Snufkin

Augur
Cane of Corpus is good. But rogue with light sword+shield is really great compared to that. Also if you guys didnt try, take monk in your team lvl up his skills, your melee should be 125. And then when you are happy with skills dual him into fighter for berserk. Dmg will be absurdly high.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Oddech, there's a chance of vampire bats of you jump down the bell in the castle's belfry.

I've already found some vamp-bats on Arnika-Tryton but they don't drop anything... I made save file before this fight buthave to ask - what are loot rules for this gam? Is there any point of reloading this fight in order to find some bat wings or has loot been already predeterminated once I found enemy on map?

Black

Arcane
Did you find vampire bats or bat vampires? Only vampire bats drop wings. And if you're tired of it not dropping you can use cosmic forge to edit one in.

Did you find vampire bats or bat vampires?
:retarded:

Didn't notice this difference before.

And if you're tired of it not dropping you can use cosmic forge to edit one in.

I'm close to doing, it cheating but... I've already use it once, in the beginning when I found that my glorious Maenad's Lance that I obtained after miniboss fight in Wiz6 and imported to Wiz7, cannot be further imported or even found later in Wiz8 despite being in gaem files.

Black

Arcane
I'm close to doing, it cheating but... I've already use it once, in the beginning when I found that my glorious Maenad's Lance that I obtained after miniboss fight in Wiz6 and imported to Wiz7, cannot be further imported or even found later in Wiz8 despite being in gaem files.
Kaucukovnik's Wiz 8 enhancements add it back to the game.

Dorateen

Arcane
I'm doing quest for Umpani and done training course as first one so commander ordered me to bring evidence of T'Rang's presence, I found T'Rang hand but now, when trying to deliver it that fukken commander claims that I haven't completed training course yet!

If it is the training course not showing as completed, then that does sound like a bug. But I was wondering about the T'Rang hand. I had to deliver something else to show proof of the T'Rang's presence. Could the commander claim the quest is not completed because you didn't bring the right item back?

Could the commander claim the quest is not completed because you didn't bring the right item back?

Nope, it's a bug. Commander didn't want to talk with me until I finished training course so I've done it, gain T'Rang's hand quest from him and when I managed to find that hand and returned to Umpani base, he suddenly want to finish training course once more. In diary, I've got both quests open.

Is there a way to form Umpani-T'Rang alliance without doing quests for the former or am I forced to choose the latter's side now?

Black

Arcane
You could try rescuing the Umpani-T'Rang prisoners and see if that lets you make the alliance.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Damn, maybe I'll try to finish Wiz8 after all. With Wizfast this time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom