Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Zomg

Arbiter
It's such a bummer to go full autistic on old games that aren't based on P&P systems . I can't get proper autist fodder - tables, formulas, mechanics.

Zomg

Arbiter
This no-class changing stuff (I decided to say, "Fuck it, I'm keeping the bard") is getting pretty insufferable with all of the enemies that spam disabling spells (zombies, nightgaunts, etc.) en masse. It feels like the game was designed on the presumption that you'd use class-changing to get ninjutsu on the entire party to hide from all of the effects.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
6 and 7 are perfectly completable on Normal without; it is just that much harder.

If you have trouble, go ahead and give everyone Ninjutsu. It's a huge help in 6 and 7, and if everyone has it at 100 in 7 and imports into 8, they will get +2 AC in 8; even the non-Hide classes.

[I never played Wizardry on Normal and class-changed; but on Expert it's just way too harsh/impossible not to.]

Zomg

Arbiter
It's not really that it's hard (I can use the silence spell to win most problem fights - level 6 silence even shut down the two Tut-Butts), it's just clearly "wrong". I have to do cheesy things like run to a fountain after every fight.

I hate to class change at all in 6 because it's such an obviously broken mechanic. With pure classes you really have to sweat stuff like picking your spells wisely and buying spellbooks when you can. I kinda wish I'd played this when I was eleven and using the power of autism to break a game was still my fondest wish.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You are mistaken if you think running to the fountain in 6 or 7 is cheesy. Not in games like this.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
wtf1.jpg

Dosbox Wizardry 1.
What is happening? During level up I always lose some attributes.
And usually I only get 1 H.P.
Wizardry1 is the hardest game not Wiz4 :wink:

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm not sure if there is any rhyme nor reason to how stats go up or down in Wizardy I, however you will find a trend over time where they will tend to go up rather than down, in my experience.

Have fun with one of the all time greats - probably the first CRPG I ever finished back on my Apple II.

Now - where did I leave that zimmerframe?

uhjghvt

Scholar
early rpgs didn't have enough memory to program in any meaningful choice and consequence so they just generated a lot of random bullshit hope this helps

Higher Game

Arcane
Good guys let neutral monsters live. Bad guys kill them for the l3wtz. See, Wizardry I does have a complex moral code than influenced all RPGs that followed! :D

Hello again Codexers. I've been on a rush of cRPGs lately, and I've gone through a lot of Troika/Black Isle games, and I'm kind of in a mood for a change, so I decided to start Wizardry 8. I won't lie though, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to games like this, so I was hoping for some suggestions on a well balanced, but not overpowered party. Any and all recommendations will be appreciated.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
My first playthrough was using the default party and that was okay.
My favourite team: Faerie Ninja-Samurai-Valkyrie-Alchemist-Priest-Mage, but this is may be overpowered because of the faerie ninja :)

Lord Chambers

Erudite
My advice is to go with a Fighter to tank, at least two dedicated magic users which can focus on Divinity and Wizardry respectively, and someone who can pick locks. That should leave you two or three character slots to do what you want.

The most fun I've had playing Wiz 8 was with a Bard with shield focus to tank,
a dual wielding lord for melee damage/tank,
a dual wielding Samurai who often got switched off to a flank since he could only take like 3 hits,
a Gadgeteer in the back as my lock picker and long range shooter,
a mage,
and a psionic or bishop, I can't remember.

Mareus

Magister
I went with:
1. Lord (it's a class similar to paladin)
2. Classical fighter (strong and dumb)
3. Valkyre (She was very good with a spear)
4. Psionic (quite nice to have around for some powers)
5. Classical mage (for those tough enemies that just don't want to die)
6. Rogue (lockipicking and he was a decent archer too)

With this party I didn't have any trouble, not even with the dreaded path to Arnika some people complain about being too hard. Have a variety of skills and give some ranged weapon skill to everyone, and then play a bit with the stats. I suggest you compare the stats with the default party so you see which class needs which stats the most. Try it out and then you are ready to restart and make the final party when you figure out how the stats are effecting the game play. Oh and some races are better suited for certain classes, although I don't remember exactly. I think felpurs are good rogues. Faeries are good mages. Human can make a good lord or valkyre. Those dragon people (I don't remember how they are called) make great warriors. Elves are good psionics and mages. Been a while since I played it, so don't take this info for granted. Here is a link with some help for beginners:
http://christian-coder.com/video_games/ ... hardev.php

catfood

AGAIN
I'm a first timer with Wiz8 too, been playing the game for the last couple of weeks or so.

My party is like this:

- Dracon fighter: general tank

- Dwarf monk: at first I thought I made a mistake since I saw how I had to to wait 2-3 levels until I was able to increase his attributes, but right now he is my main killing machine and has the most kills

- HUman bard: probably my favorite representation of a bard in any game; at first I was using a bow but then I realised how awesome the instruments are and I'm using them almost exclusively now

- Rawulf priest: can heal, cast buffs, the usual stuff

- Hobbit rogue: I guess a party wouldn't be complete without a character such as this

- Mook psionic: insanity is awesome, nuff said

They are level 15-16 and playing on normal it's already too easy. The party I made seems to be of the cookie cutter kind, so you might want to try out something more exotic for some challenge. Right now I'm blazing through most enemies and I'm thinking of upping the difficulty level. As I understand it the beauty of the game is to make some non-conventional builds and see see how they develope throughout the game.

Unlike most modern games Wiz8 is simply huge, so make sure ou have enough time to play it. I've probably put at least 30 hours in it and I think I only finished about 60% of it, though a lot of that time was spent in battles.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
In my fist time , I went for :

1. Human Valkyrie (polearm )
2. Dracon Samurai (Dual-Wield - critical hit)
3. Felpurr Ninja (Dual throwing/flail) (you could also try the Fairy ninja that gets the best weapon in the game)
4. Hobbit Bard (probably the most useful character in my game)
5. Elf Mage
6. Rawulf Priest

+android +Vi

You know who could help here? Jasede. Had he not killed himself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom