Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News The Witcher - uncut dialogues unlocked

Seboss

Liturgist
Dgaider said:
That wouldn't change the English language VO, I assume? I kind of doubt they'd ship the game with all that extra VO on the disc. So you'd be reading the expanded subtitles and hearing the shortened VO? I'm not sure that would be an improvement.
I suppose playing with Polish VO and English subtitles is a good compromise.

I read somewhere that the subtitles trick has some bad side effects, like quest journal in Polish, untranslated strings and some dev comment here and there. Is that true with the procedure detailed by the OP ?

Ausir

Arcane
Yes, I updated the newspost with info on side effects and a response from CD Projekt CEO.

We know, we know. We noted it when first comments appeared. Yet, it is huge task and in comparison to other stuff, priority is not that high. But, we WON'T forget about it. Some day you'll see (surprised;)

1eyedking

Erudite
Humbert Humbert said:
This sounds good, but I'm guessing (and correct me if I missed something) this means I have to start a new game in order for it to take effect?
No, there's no need.

I hope you're enjoying the subtitles!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The Walkin' Dude said:
In the other thread some pole commented on a dialog that both the Polish and English scripts are the same "butchered" ones compared to the original script.

I doubt most of us would really notice if the polish voice overs are butchered though :lol:

Noceur

Liturgist
I'd actually love to have polish speech and (the original) english text as subtitles. I'd like it so much that I'd play the game... which to my shame I haven't yet.

edit: I actually prefered Silent Hunter III with german speech and english text, but that's a bit different ahemDasBootahem.

1eyedking

Erudite
Noceur said:
I'd actually love to have polish speech and (the original) english text as subtitles. I'd like it so much that I'd play the game... which to my shame I haven't yet.

edit: I actually prefered Silent Hunter III with german speech and english text, but that's a bit different ahemDasBootahem.
Read here to get polish speech and english text.

Lukas CDPr

Novice
Hi guys, It's Lukasz from CD Projekt RED. Let me clear few things about this "original script" for the Witcher :wink: Below you'll find info about it (actually it's the same info I wrote on official Witcher board):

What you are talking about is nothing but bugged, unofficial version of dialogues and journal which was for internal use only. If you look closer at this texts you'll se how bugged they are . These are absolutely NOT OFFICIAL dialouges and journals.

What more, most of the "original" dialogues are from early version of the game, some of them are outdated, some are bugged and some might even be in polish . One thing is clear - it's not very reasonable to use them... As far as i know these are very, very early sketch of dialogues and some of them are sensless and not even bound with the real story told in The Witcher

So, what 1eyedking did is discovering some of "dev mysteries" but there's no way we can call it "COMPLETE ORIGINAL SCRIPT" for The Witcher!!! :D Please remember that these dialogues and journals are not part of the game and may contain many, many bugs. You may of course use it on your own responsibility which may be fun but remember - CD projekt will not support it in any way.

cheers,

Deleted member 7219

Thanks for the clear-up Lukasz.

I'm just happy listening to the English VOs with the script that shipped with the game.

obediah

Erudite
Lyric Suite said:
Can't you just turn the VO off? Who gives a shit anyway.

A voice of reason! Not only are voice overs completely worthless, they are invariably of terrible quality to boot. Remove the blight of voice acting from video games! Spend the money on something useful, and let the game writers run wild with their imaginations without having to worry about the heavy axe of voice budgets chop-chop-chopping the soul of a game.

pug987

Scholar
obediah said:
A voice of reason! Not only are voice overs completely worthless, they are invariably of terrible quality to boot. Remove the blight of voice acting from video games! Spend the money on something useful, and let the game writers run wild with their imaginations without having to worry about the heavy axe of voice budgets chop-chop-chopping the soul of a game.

Yeah, and while you're at it change back to 2d graphics, 16 colours, just keyboard controll (no mouse) and make it so you type what you want your character to say, no list of possible lines.

BillyOgawa

Scholar
pug987 said:
obediah said:

Yeah, and while you're at it change back to 2d graphics, 16 colours, just keyboard controll (no mouse) and make it so you type what you want your character to say, no list of possible lines.

Reading is so outdated! :roll:

1eyedking

Erudite
Lukas CDPr said:
Hi guys, It's Lukasz from CD Projekt RED. Let me clear few things about this "original script" for the Witcher :wink: Below you'll find info about it (actually it's the same info I wrote on official Witcher board):

What you are talking about is nothing but bugged, unofficial version of dialogues and journal which was for internal use only. If you look closer at this texts you'll se how bugged they are . These are absolutely NOT OFFICIAL dialouges and journals.

What more, most of the "original" dialogues are from early version of the game, some of them are outdated, some are bugged and some might even be in polish . One thing is clear - it's not very reasonable to use them... As far as i know these are very, very early sketch of dialogues and some of them are sensless and not even bound with the real story told in The Witcher

So, what 1eyedking did is discovering some of "dev mysteries" but there's no way we can call it "COMPLETE ORIGINAL SCRIPT" for The Witcher!!! :D Please remember that these dialogues and journals are not part of the game and may contain many, many bugs. You may of course use it on your own responsibility which may be fun but remember - CD projekt will not support it in any way.

cheers,
It's still a much more memorable experience, in my opinion.

Shannow

Waster of Time
pug987 said:
obediah said:

obediah: "I really need to get these breast implants removed. They are hurting my back, feel kinda funny and don't look as good as I expected them to."
pug987:"Yeah, and while you're at it, cut off your tits, fingers, strip off all skin that is tattooed, use a knife instead of a vibrator and acid instead of make-up."

And 2d is actually superior to 3d in many cases ;)

pug987

Scholar
Shannow said:
obediah: "I really need to get these breast implants removed. They are hurting my back, feel kinda funny and don't look as good as I expected them to."
pug987:"Yeah, and while you're at it, cut off your tits, fingers, strip off all skin that is tattooed, use a knife instead of a vibrator and acid instead of make-up."

And 2d is actually superior to 3d in many cases ;)

Exactly, 2d is often superior to 3d and only recently there have been 3d games that I believe will last the test of time (if you play some of the older 3d ones they look teribble today, while 2d ones still look great, apart from the small resolution).

My point is that you can't expect things to go backwards. For good or bad, a modern day rpg without voiced dialogues would head for commercial failure. Even if you cut down a bit on the cost, modern day graphics demand a large budget and a game needs to sell a lot of copies to make profit. I believe in the saying "Chose your battles". I think it's much more important for modern rpgs to feature an interesting story and characters, choices and consequences, good gameplay and challenging combat. And it's not just voiceovers, I for example like very stat-heavy games, with lots of numbers and thick manuals. Still I wouldn't bash The Witcher or Mask of the Betrayer because they don't have these elements. They are good at what's important.

Now about the voiceovers in particular. Individual games like the Kotor games, Jade Empire, Witcher, etc. are designed for voiced dialogue and would be really awful if you had just text. Try plaing a NWN2 module without voices. Those 16:9 screens are just akward while the smaller window used for non-voiced dialogue in game is ugly and small. Now if we had the infinity engine games dialogue system (I was very dissapointed when they changed it in NWN1) things would be different. That was designed for text only dialogues and had a lot of space to support both large npc answers and large dialogue choice, as well as the option to scroll up and down to read what has been said in case you missed something or forgot.

As a game feature I think it's unfair to label voice acting in video games as worthless and a blight. It has been both a good and a bad thing, depending on the occasion and in many cases it's fundamental to complete the experience the game offers. Let's take things from the begining. Unless I'm mistaken adventures were the first games that featured voice acting. Unless the acting itself was terrible I don't think many people objected to it. It helped create the atmosphere and added some depth to the characters.

The real dilemma, I believe, lies in full voiced rpgs. Let's take the example of the Bioware games. What has voiceacting done for games like Kotor or NWN? It added some depth to the characters, helped create a more cinematic experience and made dialogues more vivid. On the downside it greately reduced the amount of text, simplified dialogue choices and npc responses and generally made dialogues feel more like a movie than a book. Bottomline? I think each can make his own mind but for me the answer is simple. Just compair the dialogues of Torment and Baldur's Gate to any fully voiced games.

On the other hand take the Gothic series. Imagine them without voice. Even with the bad voiceacting of various npcs and other problems I, for one, would certainly miss the irony in the main character's voice as he pronounces otherwise simple lines, giving them a whole bew meaning. I believe the games with all their immersion and choices and consequences wouldn't be the same without voiceacting.

And there are other game like for example VTM: Bloodlines where no voice acting, could break the immersion. Imagine a very life-like character that even has facial expressions and can move his lips but no voice comes out, just some text.

Personally, I like voice acting at games and wouldn't like to see it dissapear completely but I certainly wouldn't mind an old-school rpg with lots and lots of lines of written text and no voices. I'd like to see a greater variety in rpgs today: others with lots of dialogue options and choices and consequences like MotB, others with interesting premade characters and great story like the Witcher, others with tons of text and dialogues like Torment, even good diablo-clones or JRPGs. I think it's wrong to decide that you like certain things about rpgs and want to find them in every new game you play. Of course the problem is that there is no shortage of diablo clones or jrpgs but there is a shortage on rpgs aimed at more hardcore players. Still, that shouldn't serve as to narrow our minds and certainly we shouldn't bash a good game that we enjoy just because it doesn't feature all those things we would want it to.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You fucking assholes should play Kotor 2 and then tell me full voice-acting is always bad. Play Bloodlines too.

Jesus; overgeneralizing retards, my ass.

Astromarine

Erudite
It's funny how Lukas is absolutely turning me off the game because of his shitty attempt at damage control. Early, unfinished, unofficial, he talks about them as if they were some crappy hackjob cooked up by an intern in 10 minutes to serve as placeholder strings. Lukas, do you expect us to be so stupid that we can't do something as simple as LOOK AT THE BLOODY DIALOGUES and realize that the old "internal" versions are:

1) longer
2) better written
3) making sense most of the time
4) more developed

Unfinished, yes I believe you. I think someone at CDProjekt was doing editing and cleanup on those dialogues when Atari or whoever just came into the office and said "forget it. it's too big. We'll cut half of it for budget reasons, and fuck your fans". I also think I'm smart enough to evaluate two pieces of text and figure out which is the labor of love and which is the shitty hackjob. For you to come here and say I'm wrong and that the better longer most literary version of the script is the internal placeholder, is frankly insulting and makes me lose all desire to play your game or any other products from you again.

hicksman

Liturgist
Astro: Cut the guy some slack, he came on here to help out. You act like this is some government coverup. "damage control"? "fuck your fans", "shity hackjob", "frankly insulting and makes me lose all desire to play your game or any other products from you again." ???

chill.

Astromarine

Erudite
hicksman said:
Astro: Cut the guy some slack, he came on here to help out. You act like this is some government coverup. "damage control"? "fuck your fans", "shity hackjob", "frankly insulting and makes me lose all desire to play your game or any other products from you again." ???

chill.

he didn't come here to help out. he came here to say that the fix that some fan made for his game was in fact restoring some old, broken, shitty text to his game. when in fact it was restoring decent dialogue after he or his company or his publisher hacked it out of the game for budget reasons. Also, you really think damage control isnt a word PR departments for companies use? You don't think that the finalized dialogues were a shitty hackjob on the originals? you don't think some exec at atari probably said fuck those guys when discussing whether to cut a game script by more than half in translation? You think I'm some nutjob with a persecution complex? Mate, I've *done that* or seen it done in every single company I've worked at. What kind of lala-land do you live in?

pug987

Scholar
Lyric Suite said:
pug987 said:
My point is that you can't expect things to go backwards.

And that is why games are getting backwards all the time.

I don't think they do. They go forward, it's just that forward isn't always better and in the case of rpgs I guess the great majority of the codexers would agree that things are far worse now than they were 5 years ago.

aboyd

Liturgist
Astromarine said:
hicksman said:
Cut the guy some slack, he came on here to help out.
he didn't come here to help out. he came here to say that the fix that some fan made for his game was in fact restoring some old, broken, shitty text to his game. when in fact it was restoring decent dialogue after he or his company or his publisher hacked it out of the game for budget reasons.
Historically, I'm the evenhanded guy @ the Codex who would agree with hicksman and preach restraint when interacting with the developers who post here. However, I thought your rant had some truth to it, Astromarine. ALL the original dialogues I've seen have been far superior to the final text that we (those of us in the USA) see in the game. So I'd cosign your diatribe.

Of course, there is another option. We could assume that Lukas really believes what he's saying, and that he's not trying to downplay what happened at all. We could assume that he really does feel that the original text pales in comparison to the final dialogues. Would he really want us to do that? It implies that he thinks neanderthal text is superior to something literary. It implies that his idea of progress is to take sensible, intelligible writing and chop it down until it's so short that it actually loses meaning in some places. It implies that he puts economy of words over sensibility.

Personally, I hope that Hanlon's razor does not apply. If this is stupidity on the part of the developer ("the dumber text is better!") then that's unrecoverable. If it's malice, or at least jaded PR spin, then it could just be that he's stuck in the system, trying to make good stuff and survive the beatdown that corporations foist on creative people. That at least provides us with some hope that their next game will be good despite Atari sucking the life out of their marrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom