Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher Enhanced Edition and console version - new details

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
skyway said:
the combat is repetitive and smells of consolish mini-game - just hit the button when the cursor showes flaming sword - then again and again. until the final credits - and witcher will show you some uber fighting style with the sword - in console third-person actions having such kewl thing is quite common.
Bullshit. I don't own a console, but Devil May Cry 3 illustrates that console action games don't consist of mindless button-mashing and are ten time more complex than the combat system in The Witcher.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I didn't say there's no better combat on consoles, I just said it looks too repetitive and like a mini-game. and it has already dumbed down combat. I've meant cool combat animations as common things on consoles

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
skyway said:
by saying consoletards I mean stupid kids with consoles who defend halo, oblivion and other shit to death (unfortunately they are majority) not that all console players are stupid.
If that was what you meant, then why not just say the stupid console kids instead? Just saying something like consoletards gives people the impression you're grouping the dumbasses in with the people that actually possess intelligence. Especially when you say something like consoletards defending Halo. Lots of people that aren't dumb kids enjoy Halo and usually defend it when somebody hates on it.

check out the most popular rpgs on consoles and see for yourself. also quality rp system would've been built smartly - not with "no matter how you play and choose you will still get all cool skills" and totally unbalanced magic signs, where 2 are uber and other are just there to be.
For the western type RPG, the most popular ones seem to be the KOTOR games and Mass Effect. All of which have a good character customization system.

the combat is repetitive and smells of consolish mini-game - just hit the button when the cursor showes flaming sword - then again and again. until the final credits - and witcher will show you some uber fighting style with the sword - in console third-person actions having such kewl thing is quite common.
So, what's wrong with my character using stylish moves in combat? Would you prefer something boring like Morrowind where you have three basic attacks that remind you of angry old men swinging their canes? I agree with you that Witcher's combat wasn't all that hot, but there are much worse out there and poor, repetitive 3rd-person combat isn't a console exclusive thing.

consoletards think Oblivion is an awesome game. and when you tell it has shitty quests you most likely will hear "show me where they are better?"
Two Worlds - the same bs
Oblivion did pretty well on pc and seems to have a pretty big fan base, so apparently a good number of pc gamers enjoyed Oblivion as well. If you're the kind of gamer that enjoys dungeon crawlers and exploring huge worlds, then Oblivion isn't that bad, seeing as how its types of quests aren't much different then any other dungeon crawler.

it is a pretty popular trend in 3rd person shooters on consoles to have OTS camera - started circa Chaos Theory release date. now continues it's glorious march in Mass Effect and GoW
I see what you mean, but the cameras in those games were well implemented and were never bothersome, thus the console gamers enjoy it. Whereas in The Witcher the devs. could have done a better job with it. I'm sure that if the devs. don't improve it for the game's console version gamers will be annoyed by it. If I remember correctly, you couldn't even walk straight forward in The Witcher while in OTS, rather annoying.

obviously not many - because Mass Effect 2 is in development and Bioware already started to design Mass Effect 3.
Mass Effect sold very well, and it was a decent RPG, despite its flaws so of course there will be a sequel. A handful of boring side-quests being one of those flaws, but then pretty much every RPG made has a few of those. I was just using Mass Effect to emphasize my point that the notion that console gamers enjoy boring mmo type quests is ludicrous. They didn't enjoy those types of quests, and you can see on various message boards (mainly xbox related) them voicing their opinion about them and hoping Mass Effect 2 improves upon that particular weakness. Same goes for Mass Effect's lack of meaningful choices and consequences. There were even some official reviews that complained about that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
Lots of people that aren't dumb kids enjoy Halo and usually defend it when somebody hates on it.
why smart people would defend halo when somebody says its just yet another mediocre shooter?

So, what's wrong with my character using stylish moves in combat? Would you prefer something boring like Morrowind where you have three basic attacks that remind you of angry old men swinging their canes? I agree with you that Witcher's combat wasn't all that hot, but there are much worse out there and poor, repetitive 3rd-person combat isn't a console exclusive thing.
I would've preferred the combat in Witcher to be much more complex than just clicking mouse button when game tells me to do this. sure repetitiveness is not exclusive-for-consoles thing - but its usual-for-consoles thing.

Oblivion did pretty well on pc and seems to have a pretty big fan base, so apparently a good number of pc gamers enjoyed Oblivion as well. If you're the kind of gamer that enjoys dungeon crawlers and exploring huge worlds, then Oblivion isn't that bad, seeing as how its types of quests aren't much different then any other dungeon crawler.

except there's nothing to explore in Oblivion and dungeons are all linear copy-pasta with the same repetitive combat.
also stupid pc kids = stupid console kids

If I remember correctly, you couldn't even walk straight forward in The Witcher while in OTS, rather annoying.
you could. sure OTS camera in The Witcher has many other problems like inability to normally fight with it, but I'm sure they will just add auto-target for consoles and everything will be ok. I never meant its a sin to have an OTS camera - I just meant it fits consolish image of The Witcher well as OTS came from there.

as for Mass Effect - sure some console gamers could complain about it - but again it sold very well, despite actually being a mediocre RPG, because what's mediocre on PC - at consoles with their constant shit games are something out of this world.
sure PC also has shit games, but at least we have great games once in a while , with consoles its just a constant mediocrity.

Suchy

Arcane
The only problem with OTS camera in The Witcher was the inability to walk - only running. There was absolutely nothing wrong with combat. No problems with targeting, neither with evasion moves.
Also the combat wasn't as dumb as you describe it, actually it was one of the better implemented realtime combat systems in RPGs. Very simple to use, but gave quite many options.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom