Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The game looks gorgeous and sounds absolutely fantastic. I especially love the music. Could do with less cutscenes, but the shown scenes were quite interesting so I'm not complaining. Not a fan of the fast travel system, but combat seems vastly improved, as expected. I just wonder whether they'll find the right balance between open world exploration and story, because so far they haven't really made much use of the open world and everything seems very straightforward. At least the content seems to be quite tightly packed and there's not a lot of pointless travelling, because in too many open world games the actual world starts to just feel like filler when the pieces of "actual" content are spread too far apart. If they can get the pacing right and the entire game world is even nearly as good as seen in the videos, they might just manage to combine the best things about TW1 and TW2.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Risen 3 was practically Risen 2+; will this be Witcher 2+ (by the looks of it it will)?

The game looks very pretty and the writing might be decent (if we forget about mutant kids joking about taking a shit), but the combat still appears a bit too much like a Hollywood stunt coreography to me. I don't need realism, but it kinda lacks punch in how airy and effortless it looks as performed on screen.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
the combat still appears a bit too much like a Hollywood stunt coreography to me. I don't need realism, but it kinda lacks punch in how airy and effortless it looks as performed on screen.

:nocountryforshitposters: The Witcher games are probably the only ones where the mocap guys knew how western swordfighting actually works. (as in - most of them are in HEMA groups)

And no, to that guy who wants to "sex up" Ciri, no fucking way in hell that's gonna happen. This ain't no Game of Thrones, no way Geralt fucks his adopted daughter. Jeez.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Risen 3 was practically Risen 2+; will this be Witcher 2+ (by the looks of it it will)?

The game looks very pretty and the writing might be decent (if we forget about mutant kids joking about taking a shit), but the combat still appears a bit too much like a Hollywood stunt coreography to me. I don't need realism, but it kinda lacks punch in how airy and effortless it looks as performed on screen.

That's how Witchers are supposed to look while fighting.

Mods will fix that.

I'm pretty sure we'll get to play as Ciri, cause it's just too good a possibility not to do it. Maybe she'll sex some people up. :smug:

Also :

Vs3ne6l.jpg

JJ2q3Iq.jpg

:rpgcodex:

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I hope not. Those POV swaps in TW2 were already annoying enough. Leave Ciri to the sequel or something so gamer gurrls get to live out their whore phantasies. :smug:
Ciri would be a fitting character for an expansion pack or an additional adventure that comes with the Enhanced Edition or something. But yeah, I really hope they don't switch the POV this time around.

I also hope that the location jumping we've seen in those videos is there just for saving time. Getting instantly teleported to another location kind of sucks if you want to do some exploring or complete some additional quest that happens to take place nearby. They didn't do this in the previous games (save for a few special instances) so it'd be weird if they started doing it here.

the combat still appears a bit too much like a Hollywood stunt coreography to me. I don't need realism, but it kinda lacks punch in how airy and effortless it looks as performed on screen.

:nocountryforshitposters: The Witcher games are probably the only ones where the mocap guys knew how western swordfighting actually works. (as in - most of them are in HEMA groups)

And no, to that guy who wants to "sex up" Ciri, no fucking way in hell that's gonna happen. This ain't no Game of Thrones, no way Geralt fucks his adopted daughter. Jeez.

so do they roll on the ground or jump to the side like a bunny in those HEMA groups?

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
The pirouettes and other acrobatics are from the books.

(personally, I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of "graceful" dodges and evading moves in the W3 videos. :/ Geralt mostly jumps back a bit. Meh.)

WhiteGuts

Arcane
They said there're pirouettes, parrying and stuff. Which we haven't seen in these videos. Maybe they were left out of the build they were using at the time, we'll see.

Tytus

Arcane

That doesn't make them less retarded. Ok I get he is a Witcher he is super fast so piroutte doesn't put him in danger like it would with the a normal human. But imagine how much faster he would've been if he didn't use it at all.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
The combat looks ok imo. Balanced between realistic-looking and "rule of cool". It's not Swordfighting Simulator 3.0, no need to be a picky, edgy fag.

Perkel

Arcane

That doesn't make them less retarded. Ok I get he is a Witcher he is super fast so piroutte doesn't put him in danger like it would with the a normal human. But imagine how much faster he would've been if he didn't use it at all.

In books this move was used mainly when witcher couldn't predict enemy strike from his body movement and he wanted enemy to do something. So he did half spins and pirouettes to make enemy do something either attack or change position. Him doing pirouette gave enemy chance to predict witcher movement and attack him as no human could just stop and strike in counter to his body spin. Problem is that he was witcher and in books he often won fights because he didn't use natural body movements like you would in real life. He didn't "chain combos" He instead used his witcher body to move faster and overpower gravity of his sword to strike from positions in which his body movement was in opposition to his strike.
Basically he simply overpowered with his body mass of sword moving fast and strike from unexpected angles even by experienced fighters.
This is also why he was able to fight multiple enemies.
Beside that he was insanely fast again thanks to witcher body/training.

Sapkowski did some blunders on sword fighting but "Witcher style" of combat is believable as it simply requires body of witcher to overpower mass of moving object and speed to strike from positions and angles which are impossible for normal human. Also it is kind of interesting take on sword combat instead of hurr durr POWAH. His swordfighting in large part relied on people expectations of what human body could do with piece of metal where he was witcher and he cheated that aspect of fight.

Bullshit or not piruettes half spins and so on are his fighting style. Arguing about it being realistic is like arguing about Star Wars lightsabers combat being realistic.

And if we are talking about actual real sword fighting... reality would be like:

Dude has a sword and starts a fight. Dude is killed by spear.
Dude has a sword and starts a fight. He dies because neither lether nor plate armor is penetrated by sword.

There is a reason why Spear was battle weapon and why Sword was basically todays handgun.
Swords are only popular in todays popculture because they look good and have this (it needs skill to use it instead of bashing it like a hammer).
There is also a reason why Swords later were completely changed into rapier form making it essentially very short and light spear...

That is completely beside how swords actually worked which is almost nothing like in TV especially for longer swords which became for some reason slashing weapons in popculture where their main attack was stabbing (again like a spear).

Especially hilarious is how TV portraits main staple of medievil knight in full armor + sword and shield. If on battlefield two knights like that would meet then both of them would rather die grappling each other than using their swords which were completely useless on fbp armor.

Reality is that medieval knights wore plates because they were cavalry and they rode horses so they didn't need actually use their own body muscless to march few miles/km to battlefield. Also their primary weapon was again spear or should i say "lance".

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That new gameplay demo looks amazing. Absolutely love the music, the world design, visuals, the writing... I am seriously impressed. I hope they show off more of the RPG side of the game. I'd be happy just with something along the lines of The Witcher 2 but it'd be nice for some expanded mechanics for leveling up and whatnot as well.

(I also wouldn't judge the combat difficulty/mechanics much because they very likely set it to easy mode for demo purposes...)

Tytus

Arcane
That new gameplay demo looks amazing. Absolutely love the music, the world design, visuals, the writing... I am seriously impressed. I hope they show off more of the RPG side of the game. I'd be happy just with something along the lines of The Witcher 2 but it'd be nice for some expanded mechanics for leveling up and whatnot as well.

(I also wouldn't judge the combat difficulty/mechanics much because they very likely set it to easy mode for demo purposes...)

If Geralt isn't killed by Giant Beatles the moment he steps out of Novigrad, then the whole demo is a failure.

Alfons

Prophet
Beside that he was insanely fast again thanks to witcher body/training.
Most of your explanation consists of mambo jumbo made up pseudo science bullshit In reality all it boils down to the above statement,basically Geralt is super leet so he decides to fight like an dumbass because he can.
Baiting exists in actual martial arts,usually it's a pretty subtle motion.The entire explanation becomes pointless when you consider this:
But imagine how much faster he would've been if he didn't use it at all.

Bullshit or not piruettes half spins and so on are his fighting style. Arguing about it being realistic is like arguing about Star Wars lightsabers combat being realistic.
That's a good point,why the fuck did you write an entire paragraph explaining that shit?

Dude has a sword and starts a fight. Dude is killed by spear.
Dude has a sword and starts a fight. He dies because neither lether nor plate armor is penetrated by sword.
You are going for extremes here,a game doesn't need to be completely realistic or completely retarded.For TW specifically,Geralt doesn't have to do all his retarded moves but use more simple stuff with his incredible speed, then the result would be this:
Geralt has a sword and starts a fight. Geralt parries spear closes the distance kills dude.
Geralt has a sword and starts a fight.Parries incoming blows and strikes in the gaps in the dudes armor,kills dude.

There is also a reason why Swords later were completely changed into rapier form making it essentially very short and light spear...
There is a reason but it's not the reason you are trying to imply .Spears were battlefield weapons used in formation while rapiers were dueling weapons that were rarely carried in wars,the last swords that saw action in war were probably sabres.

That is completely beside how swords actually worked which is almost nothing like in TV especially for longer swords which became for some reason slashing weapons in popculture where their main attack was stabbing (again like a spear).
This is wrong but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt,which sword?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom