Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Perkel

Arcane
Is that why geralt was looking at that cat funny when he found the barons daughter?

Yes. Geralt felt weird because that cat behave weird.
There are shitload of little touches like this in game if you read books.

Perkel

Arcane
Also, men. Now that i have a new graphics card and bigger screen, i want to replay this game from start to finish. So, is NG+ worth it? Specifically, will it provide challenge, or will my level 40 Geralt be completely OP from the start?

IMO not worth it. You will be just getting same gear and all just with higher stats.
Start new game from scratch. Switch off most of UI (along with minimap and POI) and go.

Perkel

Arcane
Also, men. Now that i have a new graphics card and bigger screen, i want to replay this game from start to finish. So, is NG+ worth it? Specifically, will it provide challenge, or will my level 40 Geralt be completely OP from the start?

IMO not worth it. You will be just getting same gear and all just with higher stats.
Start new game from scratch. Switch off most of UI (along with minimap and POI) and go.

How does game progression look like? Do you gain another 40 lvls or is it more flat(as such more ballanced through the game)?
Do you keep your recipes or are there new ones/need to start from scratch

How is the difficulty?

It is like you would start from lvl 1. 30 is now lvl 1 for NG+ and everything goes up like you would play NG.

Yeah i would love if they would made NG+ completely flat.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The whole NG+ seems like a huge missed opportunity. It could've been a way for them to create the ultimate version of TW3 and fix many of the glaring issues in the game regarding character and item progression without having to make major changes to the base game — slow down the level progression, rebalance some areas of the game to provide a tougher challenge especially towards the end of the game, improve itemization and pacing by adding in fewer but more memorable NG+ items (perhaps just one additional set of equipment for each witcher school that improves on the Mastercrafted set, rather than having an NG+ version for every item in the base game), and so on. With NG+ they could've had a version of TW3 where Geralt isn't a total scrub at the start but where he can't just steamroll everything towards the end either. Instead, it appears they chose the most boring route possible.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
And I can't seem to see it mentioned in the patch notes, but the potion amounts are now displaying single digits, rather than 3/3 or whatever. Do they still refill with alcohol, or are they being totally gone after one use? I can't seem to tell because I'm a silly goose

Perkel

Arcane
And I can't seem to see it mentioned in the patch notes, but the potion amounts are now displaying single digits, rather than 3/3 or whatever. Do they still refill with alcohol, or are they being totally gone after one use? I can't seem to tell because I'm a silly goose

they refill like they used to with alcohol

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good to hear Witcher 3 is finally worth playing.

Now I just have to wait to see if they're going to release a total package bundle.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Starts out pretty well and fast
Killed two bosses in an hour

Can't wait to play more later today

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Lol
Now I know why everyone is raving about that Bloody Baron quest

This is great but this isn't why people rave about that quest.
Depending how you make choices in game this is why people rave about Red Baron questline SPOILERS naturally:

maxresdefault.jpg

This hit the hardest. This is one of the best examples of character building in gaming imo. You start to talk with him and everything you assume at first point is being subverted. Sure he was piece of shit but as you understand him those things weren't that easy to categorize and that "piece of shit" category started to be really mudy.
Then once his character grows on you, developers present you with his end that forces you to give your own piece of opinion on him based not by first look but what happened.

He is hanging there and you realize that after all he wasn't just piece of shit. He was dude who made wrong choices in life and everything spiraled into shit after his original sin (killing his wife boyfriend)
Damn, I opened that spoiler. My loss though.
The guy grew on me too, and I hope that I can somehow prevent this ending you got there.

Well shit that's the "good" ending.

Well good in that you save the kids from being eaten (or whatever they do to them) by the Crones. Not so good for the Baron, Anna, or the people in that village.

Had a deja vu feeling when I saw my saved games from exactly a year ago, the weather both in the game and outside was nearly identical (now and then). Anyhow, started anew (last time I bailed after getting to Skellige) and the beginning of the game still feels and plays much better than anything post-Baron. Shit's pretty straightforward at this point (lvl 22~ got to Kaer Morhen), no real need to hunt for gear and contracts, since i'm pretty much stacked money-wise (gear doesn't matter much, you slice through everything as it is) and the main quest line still gives a lot more XP than any side quest. Probably gonna finish it in a few days and leave it for good (not even gonna touch expansions), there are good moments here and there but the character system and loot are so bad, it's a shame really, could have been a great game (it's still good, all things considering, but could have been one of the best).

BTW Djinn quest is bugged if you play with 'enemy upscaling' turned on.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/48...the-end-of-the-witcher-and-the-future-of-rpgs

RPG Site: The Witcher 3 was obviously the first foray into a truly open world for this team. How do you feel it went, and how do you feel the shift towards open world environments is impacting the RPG genre at large?

Patrick Mills: Well, I'm gonna turn that back around on you a bit - because I think that what we've done with this open world stuff is a matter of technology and design in some ways catching up to the past. My model for The Witcher 3 has always been Ultima 7. I don't know if you've ever played Ultima 7, but... you go back, you look at Ultima 7. It's still one of the best open-world games ever made. You can go anywhere, you can do anything, and I think with Witcher 3 we've taken some things from that. It's nice for me, because that's my favorite game of all time. When I suddenly realized - when I moved on to Witcher 3 and started doing stuff, I suddenly realized 'Oh, this is Ultima 7...!'

Of course it doesn't have all the features of Ultima 7, but it's got other features that Ultima 7 didn't, obviously. In some ways, we're catching up to the past, actually. I think that with the technological innovation over the past couple of decades, some things from the early and mid 90s actually got lost in that innovation and now processors have caught up. With the tools we have now and all that, we can go back and start doing the things that were done then but with a modern level of presentation; I'm very excited about that.

:philosoraptor:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
W6wgNCe.png

Can anyone explain to me what this symbol means? I'm in the cave of George the Dragon Slayer or something and this is at the end of a tunnel.

bonescraper

It's an illusion, you need a certain item to dispell it so you can go further.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finally managed to finish the game and yeah, no, no urge for seconds or DLC's. The minute to minute gameplay is boring grind with a somewhat heavy dose of dialog cutscenes (and I especially smirked at those instances where the 10 minute cutscene involving pressing a couple of numbers would cut so I could walk three steps to regain my cutscene status and then keep watching again), the character system is weak and uninteresting, most of the quests and tasks are samey filler grind. The storyfaggotry is pretty competent for where it matters, but that alone doesn't really invite for subsequent runthroughs. A nice but overrated action adventure which is done for good once its done the first time.

Gord

Arcane
Can anyone explain to me what this symbol means? I'm in the cave of George the Dragon Slayer or something and this is at the end of a tunnel.

If it's any help to you, I think there's just an exit to the outside behind, if you are where I think you are.

Try doing the finding the witch-MQ to gain the necessary item to dispel illusions.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Keira is such a high utility character.

- Treats us to a pair of soapy wet tits
- Leads us to the hidden lair full of clues and treasures
- Saves us from the white frost
- Gives us a rare artifact that dispels magic
- Gives us a rare artifact that lets us speak to the dead
- Sells us potions of clearance and various rare recipes
- Gives us info on Ciri's trail (the Crones)
- Offers sex
- Fights the Wild Hunt
- Saves the life of our childhood friend

Everything is motivated by selfishness, narcissism and hedonism, though.

Perkel

Arcane
Doing finally some sidequesting after i beat game and expansions main stories.

Started a witcher contract from noticeboard. When can and wolf play.

That was good quest. Sure, short but despite that it was great.

Quests starts from noticeboard or going to that village
Ghouls around whole village massacred.
You follow dead bodies, finds a girl and she says witcher did it.
You follow his tracks and get to him.
Schoold of cat witcher, stabbed. Says villagers tried to cheat him from money and then stabbed him with pitchfork (i noticed that pitchfork earlier)
Decided that he was fucking right. A bit over the top but no less dude almost got killed.
Gone back to girl, get her to aunt, she says she can't take her, too poor.
Gave wench 40 and said that if i will come here and see you drunk...
In the end i got 40crowns in red though i might get something from other witcher as he got me his stash somewhere to pick up.

Simple, some C&C (pressuring kid, deciding what to do with witcher, money for aunt) and failstates (like when you won't find doll and you don't have Axii talents)

I liked it a lot and reminds me why TW3 is so fucking good in therms of writting and quest design

From technical perspective, just small area design village, two places (stones and where witcher sat), few lines of VA, some generic animations and voila compelling interesting quest

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom