Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Weird.

Witcher 3(at almost max settings, hairworks disabled) runs better than 10+ year old games for me on win10

Perkel

Arcane
Witcher 3 runs better than both TW1 and TW2 if you consider graphic it achieves.

TW2 especially. I can get @ 1080p 60fps with dips on my rig but it has small areas and basically uses console like lod handling (doors) to load stuff
While witcher 3 on my rig looks awesome and runs @ 1080p @ 60 with dips
TW1 in temple quarter in act 3 runs like a bitch and it always run like it despite 3 different gpus i used.

My PC is almost ancient (good GPU tho), Witcher 3 runs much better than GTA (though it mostly has to do with lack of RAM, game starts to stutter if you drive around the city for a while)

bonescraper

This game is kinda weird performance-wise. My GTX 760 struggled to run this game at 30 fps in 1680x1050 on high settings. But my GTX 970 runs it at ridiculously stable 60 fps in 1920x1080 on ultra settings. What gives, i dunno. I didn't get this much of a performance gain in other games.

sullynathan

Arcane
I don't have any of that Nvidia shit on.

I can play GTA V with a pretty good resolution and on high above 30fps. Can't even play this game on the absolute lowest without the game being below 30fps.

Weird. What is your cpu and gpu ?
  • 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz) with 6MB L3 cache
  • 2.7GHz NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

Perkel

Arcane

I can play GTA V with a pretty good resolution and on high above 30fps. Can't even play this game on the absolute lowest without the game being below 30fps.

• 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz) with 6MB L3 cache

i5 is good but your gpu is garbage. Especially kepler which aged very badly. To couple that 640m is laptop gpu downclocked version of already pretty slow GTX640 sooo.... yeah.

It won't play anything smooth on any reasonable resolution in pretty much every new game from now on.

Worst part of this is that you can't do anything about it because it is laptop. So you need to change laptop or build new actual pc as your gpu is integrated on your mobo.

edit:

difference in FPS from min to max isn't that high in TW3. Similary res change doesn't really do much too.
TW3 just has high min reqs to run their systems properly in game.

sullynathan

Arcane
Going from Souls 3 combat to this game is a funny thing. From the training, I thought that the combat of TW3 would be really good, until I got into the first fight with the monsters and it sucked. I guess the combat works better one-on-one.

i5 is good but your gpu is garbage. Especially kepler which aged very badly. To couple that 640m is laptop gpu downclocked version of already pretty slow GTX640 sooo.... yeah.

It won't play anything smooth on any reasonable resolution in pretty much every new game from now on.

Worst part of this is that you can't do anything about it because it is laptop. So you need to change laptop or build new actual pc as your gpu is integrated on your mobo.
its worse, it's a mac.:mixedemotions:

Perkel

Arcane
Going from Souls 3 combat to this game is a funny thing. From the training, I thought that the combat of TW3 would be really good, until I got into the first fight with the monsters and it sucked. I guess the combat works better one-on-one.

Frankly speaking combat isn't that bad. It is just focused on different things.

In TW3 one on one fights are easy. Problem is that unlike DS games you rarely fight one on one. And this is where main difference between DS and TW is.

Souls combat would be completely useless and is useless in group combat as it rellies on lockon and even without it you would have hard time fighting 10 wolves or whatever.

In TW3 on other hand you have two kinds of dodges. Rolling which has huge distance covered and sidestep which moves you just slightly. Both have i-frames. Rolling is for big monsters mainly and meat of your dodge is sidestep especially when you fight groups of people/monsters.

Sidestep imo is what DS combat lacks that TW3 got right. Thanks to sidestep group combat actually works. And you can be really really aggressive in group fight especially if you combine it with alchemy traits which slows time a bit when enemy is about to attack you really can do proper group fighting.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I think the Souls combat system is vastly superior because it gives you full control of your character, whereas TW3 has that annoying modern auto-targeting system that, combined with the lack of a proper stamina system and the easiness of stunlocking, allows you to mindlessly click your way through many fights. That being said, the Souls combat system of course wouldn't have suited a Witcher game that well, partly because of the reasons Perkel stated but also for lore reasons (although you might argue that none of the games really get the combat "right"). The TW3 combat gets more enjoyable once you get used to how the targeting works, as it allows you to quickly jump from one place to another, attacking one enemy and dodging another's attack at the same time and then immediately springing to another direction to take a slash at a third enemy, but spamming fast attack is still too effective against many enemies, and I still would've preferred to have full control over Geralt's movements. Maybe it's like that because such fast movements are hard to do on a controller, I don't know. Souls combat is rather slow-paced as well, and a better inspiration for a Witcher game would have probably been something like Jedi Knight II, which wasn't so much about parrying, blocking and dodging as it was about moving around with lightning speed and cutting enemies down on the way.

TW3's combat is at its best at the very beginning when you're still vulnerable against most enemy types and have to rely on a limited amount of resources. Swordfights against human opponents are rarely all that great because of how blocking/parrying works (hold the button and you're invincible), but some monster encounters during the first few hours can be pretty tense, both the big contract fights as well as groups of ordinary monsters. Wraiths pose a different threat compared to ghouls, who are different than a pack of drowners or a group of bandits, especially if the latter includes a couple of crossbowmen. Too bad that you become so overpowered so fast, so that even though the late-game enemies have some unique tricks up their sleeves, they're unlikely to pose any real problems for you at that point.

sullynathan

Arcane

Frankly speaking combat isn't that bad. It is just focused on different things.

In TW3 one on one fights are easy. Problem is that unlike DS games you rarely fight one on one. And this is where main difference between DS and TW is.

Souls combat would be completely useless and is useless in group combat as it rellies on lockon and even without it you would have hard time fighting 10 wolves or whatever.

In TW3 on other hand you have two kinds of dodges. Rolling which has huge distance covered and sidestep which moves you just slightly. Both have i-frames. Rolling is for big monsters mainly and meat of your dodge is sidestep especially when you fight groups of people/monsters.

Sidestep imo is what DS combat lacks that TW3 got right. Thanks to sidestep group combat actually works. And you can be really really aggressive in group fight especially if you combine it with alchemy traits which slows time a bit when enemy is about to attack you really can do proper group fighting.
Nah, from my experience with both series, souls combat is also better than TW3 in terms of group combat too.

Perkel

Arcane
Too bad that you become so overpowered so fast, so that even though the late-game enemies have some unique tricks up their sleeves, they're unlikely to pose any real problems for you at that point.

I take you played on lower settings ? I mean i played my first playtrough on highest and there isn't any point in game where i felt secure. Sure some skills helped me a lot but overall 4-5 hits and i would be dead regardless of who hit me.

TW3 combat does have floaty aspect of it but i don't think they would be able to invent something new to cover proper combat in groups. Overall after a time you can sort of predict how he will hit because most of animations are tied to positioning and aren't random.

For example if enemy is behind my back i can 100% pull of stab i want where geralt plunges his sword near his belly behind his back.

TW2 combat was worse because all actions were random mostly.

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I take you played on lower settings ?
Death March is the only way to play, but even at that setting the game turns very easy after level 8 or so because Geralt grows in power much faster than his enemies. You get better armor, better weapons, better abilities, better potions, better bombs and better mutagens aside from growing in power in other ways, whereas the enemies only get improved stats, so even though early on you might have tough fights against enemies that are the same level as you are, near the end you can easily crush almost anything that isn't over five levels above you. Not that you'd regularly even face such enemies, because for some reason the main quest is balanced in a weird way, so that you'll be clearly overleveled for most of the game except for some contracts and side quests here and there.

Death March is better than the lower difficulties because Geralt still remains somewhat vulnerable, so that a backstab by some low-level drowner will still do a hefty amount of damage, but with the exception of a couple of late-game boss fights, pretty much every memorable fight in the game takes place either at low levels, or against very high-level enemies:

By far the toughest fight in the game for me was in the botchling/lubberkin quest, where you're fighting those wraiths on your way out from the graveyard. One reason that it was so tough was because at that point I was still somewhat stuck with TW2 mentality, frequently using Quen/roll and heavy attacks without realizing that fast attacks and stunlocks are the way to go, but those fights were nonetheless pretty intense, with a number of teleporting enemies that could really hurt you if you were careless. From the contracts, Jenny O' the Woods was probably the toughest for me — an early-game fight that you'll probably hit a bit underleveled, and which pretty much requires the use of a specific bomb unless you want to really grind it out the hard way with Yrden. The fight is pretty easy the second time around when you know to just spam those fast attacks after showering her with Moon Dust, but the first time it was a tough fight that required proper preparation and very different tactics from every other fight.

After leaving Velen, there's no contract that particularly stood out because of its difficulty, and almost every memorable encounter was the result of me taking on an enemy that was over five levels above me, which made the use of critical effects and specific potions necessary in order to deal any meaningful damage and survive. Almost anything in your level range was a breeze, with very few exceptions like Imlerith. The level requirements work in a pretty fucked-up way, as even though early on in the game they could be seen as at least somewhat accurate (hitting a level 6 quest with a level 4 character might make you sweat at least a litte bit), later on they kind of ruin the balance more than ahything else (a level 25 quest is much too easy for a level 20 character, but anything above that means that you'll be fighting enemies with insane damage reduction). This might partly be because, like I said, it took some time until I got out of the TW2 mentality and really understood how to be effective in combat, but even on the second playthrough I found a few of the early-game fights much tougher than pretty much anything that followed.

Gerrard

Arcane
Neither armor nor weapons matter at all when it comes to "power' when you're progressing through the game, because higher level enemies deal more damage/have more HP, all it does is make you not fall behind the curve and take 20 hits to kill the same enemy that took 5 hit 10 level earlier.

And if you think that 5 bandits should pose a threat to Geralt you're a fucking moron.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Neither armor nor weapons matter at all when it comes to "power' when you're progressing through the game, because higher level enemies deal more damage/have more HP.
Much slower than Geralt, who can easily multiply his damage and/or HP in a few levels with the right mutagens, potions, abilities and equipment. Try fighting a group of level 4 drowners at level 4 and then a group of level 18 drowners at level 18, and you'll find that the latter are much less of a threat.

And if you think that 5 bandits should pose a threat to Geralt you're a fucking moron.
Fighting a katakan, on the other hand, should be a dangerous affair, yet in TW3 there are bandits armed with wooden sticks that pose more of a threat than any vampire in the game.

Gerrard

Arcane
That's what I mean, it's the things other than gear that make up most of your "power", skills mostly, and some ridiculously overpowered concoctions.
Try fighting a group of level 4 drowners at level 4 and then a group of level 18 drowners at level 18, and you'll find that the latter are much less of a threat.
Pretty sure that if you took skills that increase your damage/reduce damage taken out of the equation the fight would be exactly the same with appropriately leveled gear.

It's also worth mentioning just how ridiculous the gear progression is when level 5 swords deal 70 damage while a level 35 sword deals 350, and yet in the end it matters very little. The only real difference you see is against lower level enemies (which would be fucked anyway because of the level difference scaling).

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Pretty sure that if you took skills that increase your damage/reduce damage taken out of the equation the fight would be exactly the same with appropriately leveled gear.
Possibly, but the mechanics are what they are, and the gear contributes to the easiness alongside all the other stuff. Another problem comes from the fact that the recommended level for a quest is purely defined by the level of the enemies you're facing. You fight a single level 13 enemy? It's a level 13 quest. You fight a dozen level 13 enemies at the same time? It's a level 13 quest. With the way levelling works, the balance gets more and more fucked up the further you get in the game, as enemies that are below your level can barely dent you whereas enemies at your level are pretty weak as well, so that actually tough quests are pretty hard to come by unless you go 5+ levels above Geralt's level.

Old Hans

Arcane
the leveling system and everything connected with it are some of the worst ive seen. It feels so out of place alongside the dumb trash loot system. Geralt the level 1 sissy bitch baby who can barely hold his own against some homeless men

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
UI changes 1.5 year after release...... just shows this game was not even complete after recent patches.

Tytus

Arcane
UI changes 1.5 year after release...... just shows this game was not even complete after recent patches.

what they say - what it actually means:
early access - first playable build
release - alpha
release + day 1 patch - beta
release + three months of patching - gold
enhanced edition - actual release

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So how many patches after newest expansion till it's finished ?

Much less than amount of unofficial fixes for Fallout 4.

Fallout 4 combat compared to witcher 3 is a masterpiece.

Where did you get 1.5 yr from.

ok 1 year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom