Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Patch 1.1 Notes

Kraszu

Prophet
commie said:
Exmit said:
CDP is starting to piss me off , if they don't get their shit working and won't release a 4:3 in next 2 weeks i'm never buying their stuff again.

Funny, I've a 4:3 monitor and the bars didn't bother me. Anyway, all you need to do is widen and heighten the image and you'll get your 4:3 resolution! What's that? Too fucking hard? You want CDP to wipe your arse for you as well?

wtf are you retarded, you know that this would change the proportion, and make the game look like shit, no?

As for 4:3 I prefer it, and the manufactures had moved to 16: 9 because it is cheaper not because it is better or more technically advanced.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Excidium said:
Would you really hang that in your wall? :lol:

Nice ass though, that model would look pretty hot if somebody fed her once in a while.

No, i keep it with my Warhammer and D&D books. :)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Kraszu said:
As for 4:3 I prefer it, and the manufactures had moved to 16: 9 because it is cheaper not because it is better or more technically advanced.
Yeah, not at all because I'd rather have screen estate to my left and right instead of getting a cramp in my neck/eyes to look up and down. Or, you know, I might not want huge black bars on top and below my widescreen movies.

Kraszu said:
commie said:
Exmit said:
CDP is starting to piss me off , if they don't get their shit working and won't release a 4:3 in next 2 weeks i'm never buying their stuff again.

Funny, I've a 4:3 monitor and the bars didn't bother me. Anyway, all you need to do is widen and heighten the image and you'll get your 4:3 resolution! What's that? Too fucking hard? You want CDP to wipe your arse for you as well?

wtf are you retarded, you know that this would change the proportion, and make the game look like shit, no?

4:3 is a more realistic aspect ratio for gaming as it's closer to a human's real world field of vision. We see as much in the vertical as the horizontal due to our round pupils. The only creatures that actually see in a widescreen perspective are probably sheep and goats which have horizontal bar pupils.

Those people who often have vertical slit pupils (draconian shapeshifters, Vril-Ya) probably see more up-down than side-to-side.

Of course, this is more relevant to 1st person perspective games, less so to 3rd person.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kraszu said:
commie said:
Exmit said:

If you keep the same ratio of 16:9 you'll have the same proportion, only obviously the sides of the image will still be offscreen, as will the menus and such, unless you play with a left sided bias keeping the most important menu visible and Geralt appearing off to the right. Sensibly though you wouldn't go all out like this, but instead compromise a bit by not fully getting rid of the bars. This will allow a greater proportion of the menus to be visible and Geralt to be more or less in the middle still.

I prefer 4:3 regardless, but what are you going to do in an age where everything is fucking widescreen? I stocked up on CRT monitors lately, buying a few new ones for peanuts for the future when my current one finally dies. No way will I try and play my oldies on some shitty widescreen with pixel doubling and other crap.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Reptilian Shapeshifter said:
Kraszu said:
commie said:
Exmit said:

4:3 is a more realistic aspect ratio for gaming as it's closer to a human's real world field of vision. We see as much in the vertical as the horizontal due to our round pupils. The only creatures that actually see in a widescreen perspective are probably sheep and goats which have horizontal bar pupils.

Those people who often have vertical slit pupils (draconian shapeshifters, Vril-Ya) probably see more up-down than side-to-side.

Of course, this is more relevant to 1st person perspective games, less so to 3rd person.
But psychologically and practically we see in widescreen because our eyes may wander to the left or right but rarely do you glance upwards.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mangoose said:
But psychologically and practically we see in widescreen because our eyes may wander to the left or right but rarely do you glance upwards.

You forget that peripheral vision is mostly left/right so you see in widescreen anyway, even if the edges aren't immediately in as good a focus. Even in focus I see more to the left and right than what is displayed on a 4:3 screen.

Phelot

Arcane
The black bars are annoying and it shouldn't have been a big deal to not have them. There's a lot of stuff in TW2 that shouldn't have been a big deal to fix. A lot of basic options that are missing. Oh well, it sounds like these patches will start fixing them.

So, I'll ask again since I've never got an answer. Can we get this patch without registering?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
phelot, yes, you should be able to straight from the Witcher website once the patch servers are up and running again.

They were last night, and I was able to grab the 1.1 patch in the approx 5 minute time period that they were, but there must've been a problem and they were taken back down again.

I'm waiting to grab the GoG version of the patch and try that one for comparison's sake.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Hell yeah they removed SECUROM !!!! Hats off to CD Projekt !!

Phelot

Arcane
Crispy said:
phelot, yes, you should be able to straight from the Witcher website once the patch servers are up and running again.

They were last night, and I was able to grab the 1.1 patch in the approx 5 minute time period that they were, but there must've been a problem and they were taken back down again.

I'm waiting to grab the GoG version of the patch and try that one for comparison's sake.

Thank you :salute:

I wonder what happened that made them remove it.

MCA
Reptilian Shapeshifter said:

lolwut

Kraszu

Prophet
commie said:
If you keep the same ratio of 16:9 you'll have the same proportion, only obviously the sides of the image will still be offscreen, as will the menus and such, unless you play with a left sided bias keeping the most important menu visible and Geralt appearing off to the right. Sensibly though you wouldn't go all out like this, but instead compromise a bit by not fully getting rid of the bars. This will allow a greater proportion of the menus to be visible and Geralt to be more or less in the middle still.

Ok one of us is retarted then lets say that I choose 1600x900 biggest widescreen resolution on my 1600x1200 screen. I then increase heigh of 900 how is the the height not messed up in the process? I increase in 33% the proportions should be 33% off in height from what they were no?

commie said:
I prefer 4:3 regardless, but what are you going to do in an age where everything is fucking widescreen? I stocked up on CRT monitors lately, buying a few new ones for peanuts for the future when my current one finally dies. No way will I try and play my oldies on some shitty widescreen with pixel doubling and other crap.

Not play the game before they will patch it. The only game that I had played in widescreen was Mirrors edge, and SC2 because that game had broken proportions in 4:3.

Kraszu

Prophet
Mangoose said:
Yeah, not at all because I'd rather have screen estate to my left and right instead of getting a cramp in my neck/eyes to look up and down.

I never got cramp in my eyes. I can see all of my 20.1' without moving neck. I use heigh more then width I open my browser in window because I have to much width. I hate scrolling on those small in heigh 16: 9 monitors, and 4:3 works better for strategy games.

Mangoose said:
Or, you know, I might not want huge black bars on top and below my widescreen movies.

I don't really mind (I don't watch movies often on my monitor), but if I care about screen size then I just watch them on TV. There is also plenty of 4:3 serials that I watch yeah anime bitches.

MCA
I can understand if you are visually impaired to notice that our field of view does span a greater horizontal arc than vertical to get what is otherwise so hard to miss so drastically but even then, you would have to be a complete utter moron not to think to at least read about it first:

The normal human visual field extends to approximately 60 degrees nasally (toward the nose, or inward) from the vertical meridian in each eye, to 100 degrees temporally (away from the nose, or outwards) from the vertical meridian, and approximately 60 degrees above and 75 below the horizontal meridian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_fie ... sual_field

And even if our heads allowed equal fields of vision for both axes, we got two eyes horizontally lined up, giving us a horizontally oriented peripheral vision.

Pathetic and embarrassing that there are morons who needs this explained here. Not there there is a shortage of morons here but still.

Kraszu

Prophet
villain of the story said:
I can understand if you are visually impaired to notice that our field of view does span a greater horizontal arc than vertical to get what is otherwise so hard to miss so drastically but even then, you would have to be a complete utter moron not to think to at least read about it first:

The normal human visual field extends to approximately 60 degrees nasally (toward the nose, or inward) from the vertical meridian in each eye, to 100 degrees temporally (away from the nose, or outwards) from the vertical meridian, and approximately 60 degrees above and 75 below the horizontal meridian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_fie ... sual_field

And even if our heads allowed equal fields of vision for both axes, we got two eyes horizontally lined up, giving us a horizontally oriented peripheral vision.

Pathetic and embarrassing that there are morons who needs this explained here. Not there there is a shortage of morons here but still.

So? How is that relevant before you get close to that limit? I can see all of my 20'1 4:3 without moving my neck. My eyeballs had never hurt me so dunno about this problem but if proportions that correspond to human field of vision disregarding the size of the object that you look at were most comfortable for humans then why books are not in widescreen format? Try to open something in ini, and read it when it covers all of your width, then decrease width much worse no?

Gerrard

Arcane
phelot said:
Crispy said:

Thank you :salute:

I wonder what happened that made them remove it.
The game running 30% worse because of it maybe?

But meanwhile, the forums are still down, and the fucking bug with using items locking the controls is still not fixed.

sick

Educated
new, exciting feature of 1.1 patch: Gay Trees.
30kd6k5.jpg

+ http://i52.tinypic.com/2rror2x.jpg

Jezal_k23

Well, I approve of the gay trees. Another excellent artistic choice from CD Projekt RED.

asper

Arcane
A cyberpunk game with those trees would be pretty cool.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Kraszu said:
So? How is that relevant before you get close to that limit? I can see all of my 20'1 4:3 without moving my neck. My eyeballs had never hurt me so dunno about this problem but if proportions that correspond to human field of vision disregarding the size of the object that you look at were most comfortable for humans then why books are not in widescreen format? Try to open something in ini, and read it when it covers all of your width, then decrease width much worse no?
errrm... i can see my two 26" widescreens perfectly without moving my neck and having only minimal eye movement between the two centers. if you ever have to move your neck (or extensively move your eyes) when looking at a monitor, it is too fucking close and you should stop trying to kiss it.
reading does not depend on fov but on perceptual span, which is a tiny weeny area of your total fov that you can see sharp enough in to read. books can have any format because you will be constantly moving your eyes anyhow to keep that teeny weeny bit of your fov on the letters you currently read.
go outside and use your eyes. you still get a lot of and depend on information from the edges, even if it is not sharp.

Kraszu

Prophet
SuicideBunny said:
errrm... i can see my two 26" widescreens perfectly without moving my neck and having only minimal eye movement between the two centers. if you ever have to move your neck (or extensively move your eyes) when looking at a monitor, it is too fucking close and you should stop trying to kiss it.

How is that relevant?

SuicideBunny said:
reading does not depend on fov but on perceptual span, which is a tiny weeny area of your total fov that you can see sharp enough in to read. books can have any format because you will be constantly moving your eyes anyhow to keep that teeny weeny bit of your fov on the letters you currently read.

Sure it is possible but not optional.

SuicideBunny said:
go outside and use your eyes. you still get a lot of and depend on information from the edges, even if it is not sharp.

So? You could also get more information if your monitors would have more height, your point?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom